Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 218 Posts

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who have experience removing the Macan headlights, do you guys think the LED headlights is something we can swap down the road? I am hoping we can get the LED headlight module from dealer, and plug n play.

· Registered
1,431 Posts
Reactions: SoCalS5

· Registered
1,309 Posts
Reactions: BatuKMan

· Registered
1,084 Posts
You can always make some $ back by selling your original headlights.. That's IF someone buys them.. Might take a good chunk of time though. Having the 2017 LED's (the square ones that will be coming on the Macan GTS & Macan refresh) is something I would like to do as long as the price is not too steep. Keep this thread alive if you find out any more info...I'am willing to bet you can start to order them in January from your parts department since they will be part of the GTS. Might take a few weeks to arrive from Germany though as it will def be a special order since they will have just came out in the new year.

· Registered
4,476 Posts
LED headlights + new PCM with Apple CarPlay = Better to sell your current Macan and order a new one if you want these items. :) Porsche will make it VERY expensive if you want to retrofit your current Macan with those items.

· Registered
83 Posts
Doubt it will work with the computer. Have had LED DOT headlights and they are nice but nothing really special unless you get into the off road racing versions which are just brutal! When driven hard the led is capable of tremendous output. I have some custom flashlights that have huge heat sinks that are not just for show.

· Premium Member
375 Posts
Anyone who have experience removing the Macan headlights, do you guys think the LED headlights is something we can swap down the road? I am hoping we can get the LED headlight module from dealer, and plug n play.
removing headlights are super easy, takes like 5 mins to do. a few plastic trim pieces a few fasteners. only retro problems would be plugs/harness differences.

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the 911 is an indicator, Suncoast has black housing LED headlights available, but specifically says:

"ONLY FITS 2014-2016 CARS WITH LED LIGHTS!: If your car doesn't already have LED headlights, it's not possible to upgrade to LED lights."
I think that's switching from silver housing to dark housing. Not the actual LED light swap...

· Premium Member
375 Posts
If the 911 is an indicator, Suncoast has black housing LED headlights available, but specifically says:

"ONLY FITS 2014-2016 CARS WITH LED LIGHTS!: If your car doesn't already have LED headlights, it's not possible to upgrade to LED lights."

like 14-16 cars with drl led lights?

· Registered
83 Posts
removing headlights are super easy, takes like 5 mins to do. a few plastic trim pieces a few fasteners. only retro problems would be plugs/harness differences.

The light itself (inline resistor or something of the like) will require modification because the power requirement is different. The computer will detect something is wrong--not as simple as it seems. Have done this before to my jeep....

· Registered
795 Posts
Busa Dave is correct, we run into this on bikes all the time when going to LED blinkers. 99% of the time you also need to add inline resistors or the power requirements will be off. In blinkers it triggers that "fast blink" you will see sometimes where people have not wired LED in correctly.

With that being said, I guess I am in the minority because looking at the 15/16 light unit V the 17 light unit I actually prefer the 15/16... I guess I need to see it in person but the Macan is a very rounded truck and the HL assembly in the 17 is very "square" and blockish imho... I need to see it on a Macan to see how I like it but based on the configurator I actually wouldn't be ordering them based on pics alone even if I was upgrading... Hmmm, I am strange like that :)

· Registered
103 Posts
@Aprillia850 did you just call the Mac a truck!!! Right there you just killed my dream LOL

Actually I agree with you. I also prefer the 15/16 headlights.
Also LEDs are soooo 2015. I'm all about living in the future, not the crappy old present.
It's laser lights or nothing for me. Although I might consider plasma lights if the price was right ...

· Registered
1,431 Posts
@Aprillia850 did you just call the Mac a truck!!! Right there you just killed my dream LOL

Actually I agree with you. I also prefer the 15/16 headlights.
Also LEDs are soooo 2015. I'm all about living in the future, not the crappy old present.
It's laser lights or nothing for me. Although I might consider plasma lights if the price was right ...
I think the laser lights are only available in the new Audi R8.:nerd:

· Registered
103 Posts
Yeah it's pretty cool tech actually.
Laser seems to be the new darling of lighting technology and certainly in the Projector/Home Cinema world it seems to be leap-frogging LED which has never really taken off in the mass market.

Apologies for going OT

1 - 20 of 218 Posts