Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My wifes Macan is reaching 45K miles and in the last service they said it will need front brake pads soon.

Do I change only brake pads? or is it necessary to change rotors?

Any pads with less dust to recommend?

Thank you!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes you need to change rotors. I had good luck with EBC red stuff pads on my 2017 base.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You don't need to change rotors unless they are too thin, or deeply grooved. At 45000 miles, your discs are probably fine.

For low dust pads get Akebono Euro Ceramic:
Front Pads: Akebono EUR1663A $86
Buy two Double front pad sensors XHDZ071 for $13 each Front Disc Brake Pad Wear Sensor XHDZ071 for Audi Q5 13-17 Premium Plus Prestige | eBay
Rear Pads: Akebono EUR1547A $64
I think you need to buy a single rear pad sensor too, but I will check.

These Akebono pads have 10% of the dust of factory Porsche pads, and 90% of the stopping power.

When your brake pad wear warning light comes on, you probably have at least 5000 miles left before the pads are completely worn out. Porsche dealers and repair shops love to recommend premature pad changes, and unnecessary rotor changes, as they make more money......

I have put new pads on used rotors many times, never a problem. At 80,000 miles and above, the rotors typically will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You may not NEED to change rotors. There is a measurable standard and rotors can be resurfaced IF you go with an independent mechanic. Dealerships will always advise you to change the rotors.

Reactions: Rusty

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you want smooth stops, no brake noise, and good wear from your new pads, the rotors must be changed or resurfaced. When I'm braking hard at 70 to 80 mph I like my car to slow down smooth and in control.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts

·
Registered
2020 2.0 Chalk/Black
130 Posts
Which pads are less grabby than the OEM pads? I notice on my base that the braking force is not linear. Basically, you push the pedal and it seems like not much happens for the first inch of push, and then GRAB. Resulting in everyone tossing heads forward. Especially terrible when parallel parking, or creeping up into a parking spot.

I wonder if the OEM pads have more grab because that helps the brakes feel more powerful...are there less grabby types of pads?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I typically get 60,000 to 90,000 miles out of my front pads, maybe 40,000 to 60,000 out of my rear pads.
Are you driving with two feet??!!??, or do you live in the Rocky Mountains??

Or your Dealer/service garage is selling you brakes prematurely...an easy moneymaker that many people get "taken" for......

·
Registered
409 Posts
You don't need to change rotors unless they are too thin, or deeply grooved. At 45000 miles, your discs are probably fine.

For low dust pads get Akebono Euro Ceramic:
Front Pads: Akebono EUR1663A $86
Buy two Double front pad sensors XHDZ071 for $13 each Front Disc Brake Pad Wear Sensor XHDZ071 for Audi Q5 13-17 Premium Plus Prestige | eBay
Rear Pads: Akebono EUR1547A $64
I think you need to buy a single rear pad sensor too, but I will check.

These Akebono pads have 10% of the dust of factory Porsche pads, and 90% of the stopping power.

When your brake pad wear warning light comes on, you probably have at least 5000 miles left before the pads are completely worn out. Porsche dealers and repair shops love to recommend premature pad changes, and unnecessary rotor changes, as they make more money......

I have put new pads on used rotors many times, never a problem. At 80,000 miles and above, the rotors typically will need to be replaced.

At 45k miles, a vehicle heavy as the Macan, with very small brakes as they have on the 2.0 I can guarantee you that those rotors are totally gone, if they are not 100% gone now, what's the point on installing new pads on a 80/90% got rotor?
At 10 or 15k on the new pads the massive lip on the disc will cut the sensors and you'll end up replacing pads and rotors at that point.
Unless the rotor is on 80/85% of it's service thickness it must be replaced and after 45K miles there's no chance that it will be that good.
Your 80K pad replacement was on a car that you owned since day one? it was a Porsche?
I work on Porsche cars everyday for the last 17 years now, and never came across a case like that.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I typically get 60,000 to 90,000 miles out of my front pads, maybe 40,000 to 60,000 out of my rear pads.
Are you driving with two feet??!!??, or do you live in the Rocky Mountains??

Or your Dealer/service garage is selling you brakes prematurely...an easy moneymaker that many people get "taken" for......
Out of which Porsche models you got those numbers?
I work on Porsche cars from 1965 to 2019, including 944's and 924's, none of them had pads replaced at more than 40/45K.
I've seen plenty of them starting at 10K miles on the idiot drivers that slow down in the last few yards, to 25/30k on spirited driving and 40/45 on very sensible drivers, that's out of Porsche cars, some other brands might last 3 times that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts