Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for having to post this but I have been searching on here as well as Googling to find a list of what the STANDARD equipment differences are between a GTS and a Turbo. Everything I have found just talks about the difference in HP and 0-60. What I really want to know is what EQUIPMENT DIFFERENCES there are between the two.

Can anyone recommend a good source?

Thank you

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry for having to post this but I have been searching on here as well as Googling to find a list of what the STANDARD equipment differences are between a GTS and a Turbo. Everything I have found just talks about the difference in HP and 0-60. What I really want to know is what EQUIPMENT DIFFERENCES there are between the two.

Thank you
Contemporary sales brochure might cover the differences...

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
....I have been searching on here as well as Googling to find a list of what the STANDARD equipment differences are between a GTS and a Turbo.....What I really want to know is what EQUIPMENT DIFFERENCES there are between the two.....
Not sure where you might find a good source. From what I recall, there were only a handful of differences.

I believe the Turbo had Navigation, Bose, Heated Steering Wheel, and Alcantara Headliner as standard equipment.

The GTS had Air Suspension, Sport Design Package, Sport Exhaust, and various black trim pieces as standard. The GTS also had a slightly smaller rear brake rotor.

And of course, the GTS had the tuned 3.0 engine while the Turbo had the 3.6 liter engine for the 2017/2018 model years.

Maybe someone else can highlight other standard equipment differences between the two trims, but I think that's most of it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...so is AS an option on the Turbo but standard on the GTS?

Thought I wanted a GTS but have found a few nice Turbos so trying to decide if I'd prefer the Turbo....and want to see what, if anything, I'd be giving up. I know that the GTS has a lower suspension but was curious to know what else was in/on the GTS that might not be on the Turbo.

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
...so is AS an option on the Turbo but standard on the GTS?......
The Turbo comes standard with a steel spring suspension, and the Air Suspension is optional. If you find a Turbo with Air Suspension, you can lower the car by using a module, or reprogramming using PIWIS. At that point, aside form the GTS's Sport Design package, blacked-out aesthetics, and Sport Exhaust, you're not missing anything by not getting a GTS (IMO).

·
Registered
261 Posts

Thank you
Edmunds.com has pretty good reviews which detail the differences between models. What makes it tough to compare across models when looking at used vehicles is the degree to which each model can be optioned.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are usually a good source but in this case their info wasn’t clear.

·
Registered
261 Posts
They are usually a good source but in this case their info wasn’t clear.
I had the same issues when I was looking for a used GTS or Turbo and trying to cross compare different options on different models. In general IMHO the standard GTS focuses on handling and a certain appearance look while the Turbo aside from the larger engine and more hp / torque leans a little toward more luxury. The price differential is less used than when new. My search became much easier after deciding to just focus on finding a Turbo and look for one in the colors i was ok with, was a CPO and had low miles. I wanted the 3.6 engine. That’s not an option you can add later. Didn’t care about the lowered stance of the GTS but I do like the blacked out look of many GTS’s. Most of the Turbos I found were pretty well optioned out so I decided that I could live with most as long they were not certain exterior and interior colors.

One option I was not familiar with but lucked into was the Apple Carplay. Love that option. Two options that I wish I had are Adaptive Cruise Control and gloss black rear emblems. The emblems are going to be replaced shortly so that will be fixed. Learning to live with out the ACC. Do a lot of highway driving so I miss it. A third option I was hopping to find on a Turbo was the Performance Package option but they are somewhat rare and can pretty much be duplicated with a COBB tune.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
The Turbo also included upgraded 18 way seats (14 way being a no cost option), which in turn included the electrically adjusted steering wheel (versus manual). Sport Design and PSE were optional on the Turbo.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. What my research is telling me is that I'd prefer the GTS but a Turbo with some of the GTS options (AS, for example) would work for me too. I definitely prefer the 18 way seats so ideally a GTS with that option or a Turbo with the AS option would work.

I have ACC on my Macan now and really don't want to give that up- but it is very hard to find. I'd say 90% of the GTS/Turbo's I find don't have it....that leaves only 10% to find the colors and option mix that I like.....a bit needle in the haystack but I am in no rush.

·
Super Moderator
1,973 Posts
The Turbo comes standard with a steel spring suspension, and the Air Suspension is optional. If you find a Turbo with Air Suspension, you can lower the car by using a module, or reprogramming using PIWIS. At that point, aside form the GTS's Sport Design package, blacked-out aesthetics, and Sport Exhaust, you're not missing anything by not getting a GTS (IMO).
Well... you'd be missing the 3.6L engine with its higher HP/TQ figures with the GTS.

As noted above, the Turbo with AS and a lowering module and you will have the best of both worlds.

Good luck!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well... you'd be missing the 3.6L engine with its higher HP/TQ figures with the GTS.

As noted above, the Turbo with AS and a lowering module and you will have the best of both worlds.
Absolutely. Strongly suggest you drive them back to back as the Turbo has much more low end torque a less turbo lag. Very different personalities, the 3.6‘s low end torque making it feel much more like a V8.

We own both a GTS and a Turbo, and love both, both the Turbo feels effortless while the GTS feels like it’s working much harder. Sure, the full throttle absolute 0 to 60 time is not that dramatically different, but how often are you are you at a full throttle high RPM situation unless you are tracking the Macan?

·
Registered
261 Posts

I think SoCal agrees with you. He said: “....you're not missing anything by NOT getting a GTS (IMO).“

I agree with that. You can pretty much get most of the options available on the GTS on a Turbo. The GTS can’t get that 3.6. That was the big deciding factor for me.

With the current generation of GTS and Turbo sharing the same engine I might arrive at a different decision if there are no significant difference in mechanicals.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think SoCal agrees with you. He said: “....you're not missing anything by NOT getting a GTS (IMO).“

I agree with that. You can pretty much get most of the options available on the GTS on a Turbo. The GTS can’t get that 3.6. That was the big deciding factor in deciding factor for me.

With the current generation of GTS and Turbo sharing the same engine I might arrive at a different decision if there are no significant difference in mechanicals.
Turbo with Sport Exhaust and AS sounds like the perfect combo....now to find one, with ACC, in a decent color, with the other 'idiosyncratic' mix of options that I want: roof rails, non-body colored side blades, etc.....

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Differences: Turbo has a bigger engine and more HP. GTS has limitless trim capability for those that like pretty...

Notice, I'm biased?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Thanks. What my research is telling me is that I'd prefer the GTS but a Turbo with some of the GTS options (AS, for example) would work for me too. I definitely prefer the 18 way seats so ideally a GTS with that option or a Turbo with the AS option would work.

I have ACC on my Macan now and really don't want to give that up- but it is very hard to find. I'd say 90% of the GTS/Turbo's I find don't have it....that leaves only 10% to find the colors and option mix that I like.....a bit needle in the haystack but I am in no rush.
I have ACC on my 'S'. It is my most used feature when on the highway. Keep looking for this valuable unicorn.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The Solution; Turbo model with AS, PSE, Sport+, Chrono, 18-way seats, ACC, NO trailer hitch (you'll never know what may have been towed and under what conditions). All other options are lagniappe like CF and sunroof.

Hope you find what you're looking for. I did. 47BA6802-0A09-4FAA-9D8D-846D45D4B899.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
On a side note.....Chronos, Sport Exhaust, black accents, and sideblade color can always be retrofitted. But finding a car that already has all the options you want will likely be the lowest cost alternative.

I think if you're willing to be patient, you can eventually find a Turbo ordered by an enthusiast, and optioned with Air Suspension, Chronos, and maybe PTV+ and Sport Exhaust as well.

Good luck with your search!

Reactions: MAPC

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That would be an ideal spec indeed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts