Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone driven them back to back? If so, would love your take on how differently they feel/drive? I am having a hard time finding a dealer that has both.

Specifically I mean driving dynamics- not aesthetics or PCM.

Either one will be a step up from my 2018 Base, but I need help deciding if spending $30K more (and waiting 5 months) is worth it, or if I'd be happy enough with the 2017/2018 and then, if I am still as in love with my Macan's as I have been, step up in 2022/2023 to the next gen (and hopefully get the awesome new tech that is in the current generation Cayenne).

·
Registered
292 Posts
We own a first generation GTS, and have been thinking of buying a new one. We have been able to test drive two of them.

Porsche has largely resolved the well-known GTS turbo lag problem with the new engine. And overall it’s quicker, but not dramatically quicker, it’s just the throttle response is significantly improved.

So far as chassis dynamics go, the two new ones we drove so just like our current GTS. Really could not detect any differences whatsoever, even though we were looking for them.

You might ask why we would bother buying a new one. Several reasons. Not only do we like the new infotainment, we want the Burmester, LKA, ACC, roof rails, heated steering wheel, ventilated seats and the 18 way seats. The standard GTS seats, while initially comfortable, are very uncomfortable after about an hour of driving. and if we are going to switch cars, we think now is the time to do so as the car will depreciate significantly when the warranty expires.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the detail. Since The 2017/2018s I’m looking at all have the options that you list (other than Burmester which i don’t need), seems like the only difference real difference is the infotainment and slightly quicker acceleration times.

I love the new infotainment but not sure that’s enough for me....since the 2017/2018 will still be a step up from my Base.

Reactions: andreasbiebl

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thx for the detail. Since The 2017/2018s I’m looking at all have the options that you list (other than Burmester which i don’t need), seems like the only difference real difference is the infotainment and slightly quicker acceleration times.

I love the new infotainment but not sure that’s enough for me....since the 2017/2018 will still be a step up from my Base.
The resolution of the turbo lag problem on the old GTS engine is significant.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
The resolution of the turbo lag problem on the old GTS engine is significant.
In "Comfort" yes. Not much turbo lag in "Sport" or "Sport+"....

·
Registered
177 Posts
In "Comfort" yes. Not much turbo lag in "Sport" or "Sport+"....
It is in an interesting attempt to disguise it, but unfortunately there’s no way making a change to the electronic throttle programming is going to make the turbocharger spool faster. But the good news is that turbocharger technology is quickly evolving to overcome the lag issue in general.

It’s one of the very few complaints we have about our GTS.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m going to a dealer tomorrow that may have a 2017 and a 2020 so hopefully I can drive both.

Reactions: andreasbiebl

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo PP, 2013 911S manual, 1991 C4 Coupe
55 Posts
I’m going to a dealer tomorrow that may have a 2017 and a 2020 so hopefully I can drive both.
Keep us posted, will be very interesting to hear. I think if you find a CPO '17 or '18 GTS you like with the right options, go for it. Getting new is aways fun but also a huge price premium and long wait at this point!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts