Porsche Macan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Larry, you don’t know they are stuck. You don’t know what the dealer paid for this unit. It’s very possible they paid in the mid 50’s, certified it, put it on the lot for 63, and when they saw the attention it brought decided to shoot for the moon and raised the price to 68.

The original MSRP is irrelevant. The value of the car is what the market will bear today.

If they are as “stuck” as you claim, then they paid a lot more for the car than the “under 50k wholesale” price that you claim to be the case.

Now why would any dealer do that? Could it be that they are aware your claimed wholesale value is completely inaccurate?
Larry loves to base his point on the MSRP and not what the car is actually selling at. He did the same when I got my new Macan for $43k off. I bought it for $80k, not $123k. When I trade it in I won’t be taking any more of a wash than if I bought one he specced for me new. I also get all the options I wanted thrown in. Win/Win. I buy it to enjoy it, not buy it to sell it, like he does. You bought 3 macans. Great Larry. I bought one at a significant discount with all the options, and will lose a lot less money than switching cars 3 times like you did.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Larry, you don’t know they are stuck. You don’t know what the dealer paid for this unit. It’s very possible they paid in the mid 50’s, certified it, put it on the lot for 63, and when they saw the attention it brought decided to shoot for the moon and raised the price to 68.
They are holding firm at 66K (not 63) with this buyer . I traded in both a 2015 and a 2016 turbo and we looked at auction, black book , and outside buyers THEN so I know what the car is worth . They are stuck . They didn't pay "mid 50's" unless went over allotment as well as lowered the discount available on the new car . On its own the car is worth 50K wholesale at best . New it was 123K . If that's not a bath I dont know what else to call it.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Easy to appreciate why someone who flips cars frequently needs to be focused on resale as you can get burned quickly and badly.

I've always taken the approach of very carefully and deliberately choosing my vehicle purchases, getting the right car the first time, maintaining it meticulously, and keeping them much longer versus the average person.

For example, my Macan replaced an '01 Pathfinder that I bought new.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Larry loves to base his point on the MSRP and not what the car is actually selling at. He did the same when I got my new Macan for $43k off. I bought it for $80k, not $123k. When I trade it in I won’t be taking any more of a wash than if I bought one he specced for me new. I also get all the options I wanted thrown in. Win/Win. I buy it to enjoy it, not buy it to sell it, like he does. You bought 3 macans. Great Larry. I bought one at a significant discount with all the options, and will lose a lot less money than switching cars 3 times like you did.
You bought a 2015 car in 2016 just as they early released the 17 . EVERYONE who was holding a 15 or 16 car took a hit in depreciation when both the new PCM arrived as well as 3 new variants (base, GTS, Turbo PP) EARLIER than expected . Even the dealerships cringed holding their NEW 2016 inventory when the 17's showed up early . So you bought a 2 model year old car and got 40K off because they were stuck and you took the risk of buying a used car .. but at least yours had no issues . You still are at least 30 grand in the hole if you s trade it in and even if you got (private party) 63K (what the Op is ready to offer) that's still 20 grand less than what you paid.

In contrast I have seen other forum members carefully spec their cars and recover proportionally more than what you can get . Now if you think fancy dials and fluff options are worth it then great .. feel that way . Just at least admit it didnt come without a price.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Easy to appreciate why someone who flips cars frequently needs to be focused on resale as you can get burned quickly and badly.

I've always taken the approach of very carefully and deliberately choosing my vehicle purchases, getting the right car the first time, maintaining it meticulously, and keeping them much longer versus the average person.

For example, my Macan replaced an '01 Pathfinder that I bought new.
SUVs are "toasters" (quoting @grim) . Drive them daily and miles add up . New tires , brakes , eventual warranty end , and with PDK and first year concerns in the long term a big expense can become a big deal. A Pathfinder is a lot cheaper to repair than a Porsche out of warranty . I can tell you how much things can cost out of warranty .. because I have lived it !! Maybe that's what it takes for some but I have seen many guys here really put time into hedging the build . They are quiet on this thread but tey are silently and happily maintaining every dime while still enjoying the car .. as they move towards the next one.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Vandit, Larry keeps using the word "risk", conveniently forgetting the word "warranty". Remember when you bought your car how many forum members wanted to assume it had been abused for the 300 miles it had on it, and were scared ****less for you? And that included Grim, for whom we all have a lot of respect for.

Of course you still don't know that it was not abused, but you still have that warranty protection don't you?

And again, even if you were selling your car today, what would have cost you more over your period of ownership, the new one you would have bought, or the demo unit you did buy (and have enjoyed all the extra equipment on in the interim)?

I should disclose that I was ready to buy Vandit's car from the same dealer but he saw the price reduction the day before I did.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Vandit, Larry keeps using the word "risk", conveniently forgetting the word "warranty". Remember when you bought your car how many forum members wanted to assume it had been abused for the 300 miles it had on it, and were scared ****less for you? And that included Grim, for whom we all have a lot of respect for.

Of course you still don't know that it was not abused, but you still have that warranty protection don't you?

And again, even if you were selling your car today, what would have cost you more over your period of ownership, the new one you would have bought, or the demo unit you did buy (and have enjoyed all the extra equipment on in the interim)?

I should disclose that I was ready to buy Vandit's car from the same dealer but he saw the price reduction the day before I did.
Yep. I remember. It did come win the full new 4 year warranty. It has been the best car I have ever owned and zero issues minus a few rattles

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have seen many guys here really put time into hedging the build . They are quiet on this thread but tey are silently and happily maintaining every dime while still enjoying the car .. as they move towards the next one.
Who are these people, and how is it that you know they exist? Why are they hiding?

The long held tradition on this forum are buyers adding to their builds after being encouraged to by other members.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i have no plans to get rid of it. I love the uniqueness of the car, and has been perfect for me the last 2 years and still looks amazing. The Burmester is my favorite option, and that one should have it. Just do it.
;) With Burmester in there somewhere, JUST DO IT! Blissful!!

It is a 7 grand option in the new cayenne. The improvement is mostly in the surround, other than that, very similar with lossless files.

Expect to pay more with upcoming Macan as well currently at @5.7/4.7 grand (GTS/TURBO) .

·
Super Moderator
1,339 Posts
OP - it's yOUR money.

If you want the car - GET IT!

NEVERMIND what the nay sayers in this forum say.

66K is a great price for this well-equipped, low mileage, CPO vehicle. You're NOT PAYING
the 123K - you're taking advantage of all of the options and getting them for one **** of a discount!

Don't diddle-daddle too long - someone else will grab it!!!

For 3K, is it worth letting it slip by? REMIND YOURSELF - Macans with all of those options - and at
that price -DO NOT come along every day.

;)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Who are these people, and how is it that you know they exist? Why are they hiding?

The long held tradition on this forum are buyers adding to their builds after being encouraged to by other members.
I don't feel it's my place to specifically name members who voiced doing well upon resale of their cars . A few I know personally and others shared why the new buyer chose to buy his car . In NONE of the cases were the cars outrageously optioned above the norm . There are even others who bought a high spec car knowingly admitting that they are paying extra to have the fluff options and they dont expect to ever gain it back .

This is not a conspiracy when a group shares a common opinion which differs from another group. You did this same rant about the Turbo and the GTS . You accused members of simply liking the GTS as if they were insane and then drone on every thread related to the Turbo . Many evenshared they like the Turbo too but that's not good enough for you . Even a Turbo PP is not good enough .

Now the op in this thread did ask an opinion (see thread title). He got a variety of them . I think he wil buy the car and would wish him well . But I wont say he's getting a bargain when i dont feel it is . If he hadnt asked for an opinion I would not have voiced mine .

I have never asked for an opinion on any car i bought . Some people do ask . I don't care what anyone else thinks . I buy what i like and I will give an opinion as I feel no matter what the consensus is.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Wait, isn’t Burmester just another one of those so-called “worthless” “fluff” options???
It is to yrallis, but it is the the best option available on the Macan (for those that like music) IMO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thank you all for the input. Really appreciate it.

Can't wait for Alibabu20s final decision! Good luck man!
Thank you @Finerthings, I have put forth an offer and just waiting to see what the dealership has to say.
If they are really getting lot of demand for this car like they say, it will be gone.Otherwise Ill just wait to hear back from them.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Fingers crossed that things go the way you hope they will with this dealer.

21 - 40 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.