Porsche Macan Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts
Only partially true. You do need to quickly unfasten the front half the front undertray (no, you don't need to remove the whole cover and getting to the fasteners mid-car is a PITA). A ramp is definitely helpful, certainly don't need a lift. You also don't need a PIWIS, that's an old tale. I use a Foxwell NT530 which I bought for maybe $150 and has already paid for itself with two oil changes and service resets as well as one new battery programming.

On my Hondas you don't even need ramps. Turn the steering wheel hard right and you can access the spin on/off oil filter and the drain bolt for the oil pan is under an arm's length from the front bumper. Maybe 15 minutes of work time with another 15-20 minutes to drain as much oil as possible. The Macan takes about 3x that long for both but it's still an easy driveway job and I had never changed the oil in car until the pandemic hit.
To the OP, you're getting a fully optioned $126k car for $43k.......do it if you have faith in the previous owner's upkeep. I too have a 2015 Turbo, bought it 3 years ago, CPO, 42k miles, all options except Burmeister, with an added $10k wrap of entire car along with the sweetest after market performance exhaust I have ever heard..lol
I paid $52k back then for it.

It's been almost perfect. Replaced a wheel bearing ($700) under warranty, and the coolant tank cracked which also was covered. I have driven 60,000 plus trouble free miles and the car still looks and drives perfectly. I have an indy garage too and the guys take very good care of me and my car.

for the $50k I saved up front, I could easily afford a repair if needed, just think these cars are built to last. I am one of the few high mileage owners, but would have no problem doing it again. Drive it like you stole it and if it puts a grin on your face like I know it will, do it! I still love the 1st gen Macan Turbos.
Happy motoring!
You bought car with warranty and 50k miles less. That's survivorship's bias.

@OP I think you're more aware than the average buyer, for starters by posting on here! Speaking in generalities on purchasing a high(er) mileage german car (especially with a $100k+ sticker), I bought a used BMW M6 a couple years back, and similar to you I'm in the market for an earlier model year Macan (GTS or Turbo), which will likely have 50k+ miles.

With the M6 I did my due diligence, had a BMW dealership perform a PPI, then purchased a reputable aftermarket warranty. Almost 3 years later and I've had no major issues with the car, bar a couple of small electrical components which were replaced under the aftermarket warranty. I have the peace of mind to drive my M6 how I wish safe that the warranty will cover my ass if a big ticket issue arises.

For the Macan I'm budgeting around 5-7% of the used purchase cost for a warranty (be it CPO, Carmax, other reputable 3rd party etc).

In summary and as others have said, get a good PPI. Research warranty costs now (get quotes using the VIN and the mileage) and combined with your family members who have mechanical experience, you'll be well covered.

Also to the point of resale once you're ready to move on, there will always be a residual value. If you buy that Macan and after 3 years (and say 15k miles), it won't be worth 0! You can look at comparable vehicles and get rough idea of the depreciation you suffer - but I can guarantee this - it won't be as much as $120k+ to $43k!

It sounds like you and your family know cars. It is high mileage and used car prices are insane right now…..maybe why the dealer wants to sell it. I would wait for the prices to stabilize more. Not that car is risky…Macan platform has actually been pretty good, but because the prices are now inflated. Don’t worry about maintenance cost…sounds like you have people that can do that for you. I do mine….without a lift. Even brake jobs are not that bad or expensive If you know cars and realize you don’t have to buy everything that has Porsche stamped on it. One thing though….they are no longer going to make the Turbo model and the 3.6 engine. This makes the models with that engine a little special🙂
is no longer available for the Macan. It’s a great engine that has been used in the panamera etc. I have a 2015 Turbo….bought used. It now has 63k on it and has been ok. Nothing major has happened. I just replaced the tires for around 1k dollars. That is not that bad.

I bought my Turbo with 93k miles because it too was a 1 owner, clean maintenance record and fully optioned except PTV. I now have 107k on it (and they're hard miles, I drive my car like it's a Porsche) and the only issue I've had was the compressor went out for the A/S. People will tell you not to buy a high mileage car but those people also just let their car rot away in the garage. I swear my car runs better the harder I drive it!!
If it's been taken care of and you're willing to do maintenance a little early (my personal opinion) than I don't think you'll have any issues. At 89k though you'll want to make sure the PDK fluid was done around 80k and I'd also recommend doing front and rear diffs my fluid was really nasty when I changed it.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
@AlexDeBello: There are a few forum members with 100K(+) miles on their Macans. Ask them about their ownership experiences.

You stated this was a one owner car. Can the dealer provide the maintenance history - receipts, etc.? How about getting in touch
with the original owner?

...and, FWIW, regarding the Turbo offered above (by @Wheel22) that's been CPOd - if it still has CPO time left on it, it's transferrable by a private seller
to the buyer.

Good luck!
I was able to get in touch with the dealership that the car was purchased from, the car was serviced every 10k miles. Every bit of maintenance that was needed on the car was done at the same Porsche dealership the car was used heavily for highway driving up to 20k a year for a long distance commute but it was meticulously maintained. The car also was wrapped from the owner so the exterior has only seen the elements for the last year of its life. There is still over a year warranty left on some of the parts replaced directly from Porsche. I feel a little less skeptical now that I have gotten the details of the vehicle but that doesn’t mean that the 88k mileage still doesn’t scare me a little

Discussion starter · #47 ·
I bought my Turbo with 93k miles because it too was a 1 owner, clean maintenance record and fully optioned except PTV. I now have 107k on it (and they're hard miles, I drive my car like it's a Porsche) and the only issue I've had was the compressor went out for the A/S. People will tell you not to buy a high mileage car but those people also just let their car rot away in the garage. I swear my car runs better the harder I drive it!!
If it's been taken care of and you're willing to do maintenance a little early (my personal opinion) than I don't think you'll have any issues. At 89k though you'll want to make sure the PDK fluid was done around 80k and I'd also recommend doing front and rear diffs my fluid was really nasty when I changed it.
This makes me feel great! The PDK fluid was just changed at 85k miles as well as the filter, spark plugs, air filters and cabin filters and some other little ins and outs. I am definitely a person who keeps up on service of the vehicle and I don’t drive all that much my average yearly driving for the last 6 years is less than 7k a year, but when I do drive and take road trips I prefer to drive something that keeps me smiling the whole time

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Get a quote from Fidelity (or another 3rd party) for an extended warranty if you can (I don't know if they will warranty a high mileage vehicle??). They'll have a database of maintenance costs as a function of mileage. The price they quote will give you an idea of the risk you're taking for this car.
This is a great idea

Discussion starter · #50 ·
To the OP, you're getting a fully optioned $126k car for $43k.......do it if you have faith in the previous owner's upkeep. I too have a 2015 Turbo, bought it 3 years ago, CPO, 42k miles, all options except Burmeister, with an added $10k wrap of entire car along with the sweetest after market performance exhaust I have ever heard..lol
I paid $52k back then for it.

It's been almost perfect. Replaced a wheel bearing ($700) under warranty, and the coolant tank cracked which also was covered. I have driven 60,000 plus trouble free miles and the car still looks and drives perfectly. I have an indy garage too and the guys take very good care of me and my car.

for the $50k I saved up front, I could easily afford a repair if needed, just think these cars are built to last. I am one of the few high mileage owners, but would have no problem doing it again. Drive it like you stole it and if it puts a grin on your face like I know it will, do it! I still love the 1st gen Macan Turbos.
Happy motoring!
Love to hear it ! I’m glad that there is some people who have great experiences with these cars high milage it’s not common so it’s hard to get an insight but this makes me feel better, I feel like it’s a car I can’t just pass up because I’ll never find one with the options again, and yes some of these options are outdated as there is newer versions but for the most part performance options are still the same and this car has all of them! Now that I have seen the service records I know the last owner was meticulous with maintenance and had all the services done at Porsche, like I said in a previous post, I live close to work and take a few road trips a year, my average annual milage is under 7k but I just want to drive a car that will keep my smiling the whole time I’m driving and this seems like it.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.