Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post in this group and I need some advice. I’m looking at a 2015 macan turbo with 89k miles on it. Original build price is $126k it virtually has every option, PTV+, PASM air suspension, sport exhaust, sports design package, tow package, carbon fiber interior, heated steering wheel, car connect, bi-xenon lights, comfort interior lighting, 3 zone climate control, PDLS+, burmester audio, pebble/agate interior, sport chrono, and tons more options. I got the price down to $43,000 is that a good price for this year, milage and options, am I making a bad decision buying one with such high milage, I just feel like I’m never going to find one with these options again so I’m torn.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From a dealer? CPO? Warranty?
It’s not CPO and no warranty, it’s from a dealer but not Porsche, just a small dealership it was the owners personal vehicle. It has a 1 owner carfax (not including the dealer that has it as they never registered it for personal use) with no accidents reported, transfer case was just replaced, as well as plugs.

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
34 Posts
If it is CPO then yes great deal and worth it. If not, then just a little risky with the high mileage. Repairs on these cars is not cheap. I almost bought a CPO 2015 back in April with similar miles at $39k but it was optioned to only about $112k msrp.

·
Registered
2018 Macan Saphhire Blue
79 Posts
It’s not CPO and no warranty, it’s from a dealer but not Porsche, just a small dealership it was the owners personal vehicle. It has a 1 owner carfax (not including the dealer that has it as they never registered it for personal use) with no accidents reported, transfer case was just replaced, as well as plugs.
Get a lower mileage S or GTS from Porsche CPO. Way too many miles and no warranty. Risky.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Walk ! There is nothing good about this car -
1) It is a 7 year old SUV
2) It's engine has been known to have some issues
3) Those options are nice but not 43K nice . Imagine the out of pocket cost to fix it plus a car payment.
4) Its at an independent lot because no one wants it (dealerships would have grabbed it at auction)
5) Anything Tech is dated
6) Who will buy it from you when it goes caput ?

I have seen more people than I can count find their "dream Porsche" only to get creamed on the first big ticket repair . You have a chance to hedge this right now .

43K is enough to buy a decent used Macan under normal circumstances . Things are not normal now . The used market is insane . The best one can do is find a new car at MSRP and thats more than 43K . Save yourself while you still can.

Stick around ... when things improve you'll see it here .

·
Registered
2015 Macan Turbo
4 Posts
I have a 2015 Macan Turbo (63k miles) that I bought CPO from a dealer in 2018 with 35k miles. The car has been close to perfect, with exception of tire valve stem problems in the early going (I had to replace two of them under warranty when the tires started losing air).

I just came out of CPO warranty and I’m sticking with it because I love the car, but I’m definitely mindful of the cost of potential repairs. I’ve had all work performed at the dealership so far but I’m going to switch to an independent.

I’ll admit to being a little surprised at the high cost of maintenance (my first Porsche), even if I shouldn’t have been. Just had brakes done, for example, and the brakes were more expensive on the Turbo than on the base Macan. (“Turbo Tax” as a Porsche owning buddy refers to it.) If cost of maintenance is a concern, I’d suggest you look through the scheduled maintenance and price it out at your local indy and dealership so you know what you’re looking at.

As for repairs, I haven’t had any other than what I mentioned above, so I can’t speak to it. I’m a little nervous about what may come down the road over the coming months, but I love the car, so what are ya gonna do?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it is CPO then yes great deal and worth it. If not, then just a little risky with the high mileage. Repairs on these cars is not cheap. I almost bought a CPO 2015 back in April with similar miles at $39k but it was optioned to only about $112k msrp.
Yeah the high milage is really my biggest concern because I know they say once the car hits 100k it’s either going to make it or break. Some of my best friends own a car shop and they specialize in Audi, VW and Porsche so I know that I won’t be paying what other pay for repairs but I know cost of parts alone is expensive I’m just hopeful nothing serious will happen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get a lower mileage S or GTS from Porsche CPO. Way too many miles and no warranty. Risky.
I’ve been looking at some GTS too, for what I am using the car for and the options that I want I can’t really do anything less than the GTS as the options are to hard to come by in the S. But I definitely feel like I’m taking a risk with the milage although I have quite a few mechanics by my side

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@AlexDeBello Tell us about you, are you handy? Do you enjoy doing DIY on your cars?

If the answers are yes, then go for it.
I personally am not the most handy (I’m a nurse) but I come from a family of car people we own a garage with a lift, my brother has built 3 audis from the ground up and is constantly building and tuning cars and my closest group of friends own a car shop and specialize in Audi, VW and Porsche. My boyfriend also owns a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S ($190k MSRP) that is at over 110k miles now and he bought with 90k miles so he keeps telling me to go for it but I needed the opinions of people with macans because I don’t know what goes wrong with these cars so idk what to expect as far as issues and costs.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I personally am not the most handy (I’m a nurse) but I come from a family of car people we own a garage with a lift, my brother has built 3 audis from the ground up and is constantly building and tuning cars and my closest group of friends own a car shop and specialize in Audi, VW and Porsche. My boyfriend also owns a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S ($190k MSRP) that is at over 110k miles now and he bought with 90k miles so he keeps telling me to go for it but I needed the opinions of people with macans because I don’t know what goes wrong with these cars so idk what to expect as far as issues and costs.
If you have a family and friends who work on cars then you would still enter at a high price (due to market conditions) and still face replacement of parts . It's still not cheap and it doesn't factor in the inconvenience of having no car to drive . Even renting a car is expensive now .

I would buy a high mileage car if I knew the owner or how the car was cared for . An inspection would reveal some things but 90K miles on a. first gen motor is like a ticking time bomb of risk . Perhaps it's me I dont want to drive a car 5K or 10K or even 20K wondering when its going to go KAPOW . Granted even a new car can break but the safety net of it being new with warranty and lemon laws gives a bit of a tail wind .

I might understand a person with several cars buying a classic 911 but this is an SUV . It's supposed to be a reliable daily driver . I dont understand the 110K mile Cayenne either . This is exponential risk having two of them . Mind you one of my Porsches is 14 years old , out of warranty long ago and its modified but if I had to I could pay for it to be fixed or even eat the total loss . Thats a big difference than making it the starting point ,

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The car could be perfect and never give you any trouble, or the car could already have a leak which is $10k out of pocket.

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
@AlexDeBello: You need to read most of the posts above with some degree of skepticism. Look at who the posters are and whether or not they
work on their own vehicles.

One person posted above they recently bought a used Turbo and it's been just fine. The rest have no such experience - and are offering OPINIONS.

If you could obtain a 3rd party warranty that would be great to accompany such a purchase. One comment above stated "It's [sic] engine is known to
have some issues
". SOME engines have had the timing chain cover oil leak. ALL? NO. My Macan had that happen. Others on the forum have had it happen
with theirs as well. IT'S A MINORITY of Macans affected.

Dated technology? Of course! It's six (6) years (or more) old!!! It does have support for USB connections and Bluetooth.

Another comment, "Who will buy it from you when it goes caput [sic]". Would someone really buy a car with 89K on it thinking seriously about resale value?
It's a "buy & keep" kind of proposition.

In the end - it's YOUR call. It's a one owner, loaded vehicle. As pointed out above, the new/used car market is crazy right now. I guess the posters above have
forgot that FACT. Used car prices are very high. There are no deals on vehicles - used or new. You can wait for the current supply & demand issues to dissipate,
keep looking or pull the trigger on this one.

If you're leaning toward purchase, have a PPI performed at a Porsche independent garage - or a Porsche dealer, Get an idea of how well it's been cared for
and what it's going to need in the next 1, 2,3, 4, ... years. That'll give you some idea of the cost of ownership. Buying a Porsche is just the price of admission.
The co$t of ownership associated with the vehicle is high - both parts and labor (though a Porsche independent will be cheaper than a dealer and for a 2015,
you do not want to be taking it to a Porsche dealer).

Good luck!

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you could get the price down to 40, with a thorough PPI I would not be so quick to rule it out if you can handle the risk because it's likely you will come out way ahead.

But how would you feel if shortly after your purchase you had to spend $10,000 on a trans repair? If you would feel like a fool, this is not the car for you. But if you can merely emotionally add the $10,000 to the purchase price, you could be getting quite a buy, because a repair of that magnitude is not likely (but you need to be aware it's possible).

It's easy for others to suggest you spend more $ initially as it's not their money. There are now plenty of forum members with this engine well over 100k miles with no serious issues. Not sure why someone would suggest this engine is a ticking time bomb when very few owners have had serious issues. The most common issue is the timing chain cover leak, which in reality is not serious. If you can't stand the idea of a minor oil leak that's one thing. but reality is it's commonplace for cars with this much mileage or more to have minor oil leaks. If it were me I would let it leak and might have to add an extra quart of oil between oil changes.

So far as resale goes, it is true there is a limited market for used German cars with this much mileage. But the value of the car is not difficult to discern, and if these cars were actually that risky it would not be worth what it is. The market is well aware of what the risk level really is.

If you keep this car for 50k miles no doubt your operating cost will far exceed a Toyota Corolla. But I suspect I'm not telling you anything you already don't know.

I say bottom line is if you understand and accept the risk go for it as if the PPI results are good it's far more likely than not you will not see anything like the worst case scenario.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If you keep this car for 50k miles no doubt your operating cost will far exceed a Toyota Corolla. But I suspect I'm not telling you anything you already don't know.
That's what a lot of people are missing. Majority of customers think that if they get a car priced as a loaded honda accord then their maintenance will be exactly the same. Then reality comes with $500-$800 oil changes, $2500 brake jobs and $2000 tires.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
@AlexDeBello: You need to read most of the posts above with some degree of skepticism. Look at who the posters are and whether or not they
work on their own vehicles.

One person posted above they recently bought a used Turbo and it's been just fine. The rest have no such experience - and are offering OPINIONS.

If you could obtain a 3rd party warranty that would be great to accompany such a purchase. One comment above stated "It's [sic] engine is known to
have some issues
". SOME engines have had the timing chain cover oil leak. ALL? NO. My Macan had that happen. Others on the forum have had it happen
with theirs as well. IT'S A MINORITY of Macans affected.

Dated technology? Of course! It's six (6) years (or more) old!!! It does have support for USB connections and Bluetooth.

Another comment, "Who will buy it from you when it goes caput [sic]". Would someone really buy a car with 89K on it thinking seriously about resale value?
It's a "buy & keep" kind of proposition.

In the end - it's YOUR call. It's a one owner, loaded vehicle. As pointed out above, the new/used car market is crazy right now. I guess the posters above have
forgot that FACT. Used car prices are very high. There are no deals on vehicles - used or new. You can wait for the current supply & demand issues to dissipate,
keep looking or pull the trigger on this one.

If you're leaning toward purchase, have a PPI performed at a Porsche independent garage - or a Porsche dealer, Get an idea of how well it's been cared for
and what it's going to need in the next 1, 2,3, 4, ... years. That'll give you some idea of the cost of ownership. Buying a Porsche is just the price of admission.
The co$t of ownership associated with the vehicle is high - both parts and labor (though a Porsche independent will be cheaper than a dealer and for a 2015,
you do not want to be taking it to a Porsche dealer).

Good luck!
Great - pick up the tab to her repairs and rentals and my “opinion” would divert to how generous that is . I have owned 4 gen 1 cars and had one blown transfer case so that’s 25 percent of “experience” . Fortunately it was on warranty nor was it my entry point into the car . I am not the only opinion on this thread and the majority did point to risk . Even the ones that are fine are aware and all of us who posted own cars . On a personal note you have made it a point to nit pick every typo or create baseless assertions over semantics . Those reveal your issues more than what I have to say . Btw you can buy her car for 43k the day it becomes a paperweight in her driveway and be met with silence from me . To the op- my opinion is sincere . If you decide to buy it I’m the first to wish you the best . If I am wrong I would be happy for you but it would not erase the concern at this point of your Macan journey . I do hope for your sake that i am wrong . Good luck 👍🏼

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
If you could get the price down to 40, with a thorough PPI I would not be so quick to rule it out if you can handle the risk because it's likely you will come out way ahead.

But how would you feel if shortly after your purchase you had to spend $10,000 on a trans repair? If you would feel like a fool, this is not the car for you. But if you can merely emotionally add the $10,000 to the purchase price, you could be getting quite a buy, because a repair of that magnitude is not likely (but you need to be aware it's possible).

It's easy for others to suggest you spend more $ initially as it's not their money. There are now plenty of forum members with this engine well over 100k miles with no serious issues. Not sure why someone would suggest this engine is a ticking time bomb when very few owners have had serious issues. The most common issue is the timing chain cover leak, which in reality is not serious. If you can't stand the idea of a minor oil leak that's one thing. but reality is it's commonplace for cars with this much mileage or more to have minor oil leaks. If it were me I would let it leak and might have to add an extra quart of oil between oil changes.

So far as resale goes, it is true there is a limited market for used German cars with this much mileage. But the value of the car is not difficult to discern, and if these cars were actually that risky it would not be worth what it is. The market is well aware of what the risk level really is.

I say bottom line is if you understand and accept the risk go for it as if the PPI results are good it's far more likely than not you will not see anything like the worst case scenario.
I’ll clarify . Those 100k mi owners didn’t buy the car at 100k . They bought it either new or used with some miles and drove it long enough to make it . At 43k one or two big ticket repairs might cost half as much as the car cost . Now of course she could beat any negative odds and never face an issue . However without any warranty or extended coverage the financial risk exposure is riding in her daily driver . After two Macan Turbo gen 1 and a current Macan Turbo gen 2 I like the car but not that much .

1 - 20 of 50 Posts