Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
Where do you live and what is most important to you; dry handling or inclement weather traction? I really like these which are the opposite of an all season. Basically a snow tire that you can run year round, with emphasis on the snow handling.

Registered
I run 265/60r28 BFGoodrich KO2 on mine...full time...in Califonria.
馃槄
That's awesome. Do the front tires rub into the fender liners at full lock?

Registered
2021 Macan S
Doesn't M make the Pilot Sport A/S? I've had a few sets of those and will look there once my OEM Goodyears are toast, which looks like about 25k (16k so far).

PS I used the Tire Rack install-in-your-driveway deal for my last tire change and it was slicker than snot! Will do so next time.

Registered
I pulled the summer Bridgestone Alenza鈥檚 RFT鈥檚 off my 鈥22 X3 M40i as soon as I got it and switched to DWS 06+ all season 20 inch (last summer). I鈥檝e got one Minnesota winter on these plus 9K miles.

In the snow they鈥檙e terrific. Zero issues running through 15 inches of fresh snow. I鈥檇 rate them as excellent in frigid icy conditions. Fairly comfortable ride but than again all X3鈥檚 are sprung pretty firm including the LCI 鈥22 M40i with adaptive shocks.

Summer- The Conti鈥榮 were bouncy at first. Many report this. Setting the tire pressures to 32/35 helped. Things improved after 5k miles. I like them now but they鈥檙e nothing special. Frankly they鈥檙e no better than the Alenza鈥檚 in the summer. They ran me about $1200 thru tire rack.

If it we鈥檙e me I鈥檇 go with Michelin.

MICHELIN庐PILOT庐 SPORT ALL SEASON 4
  • Performance Sport
All-season design with superior performance that stands out from the crowd.

• Ultimate All-Season Wet & Dry Grip
  • Winter Confidence
  • Style鈥攕upercar certified and chosen by Chevrolet Corvette
  • Mileage Warranty: 45,000 miles. See warranty for details.

Registered
Reactions: Llarry

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for all the input. I bought a set of the Conti DWS 06 Plus today; ordered in and will be installed in a week or so. Then I'll post up the summers for sale.

Registered
2018 Macan Turbo, 2005 Boxster, 1969 Camaro
Having decided to take the purist approach and run summers and winters with two sets of wheels and tires, I have now decided to go back to all-seasons and eliminate the seasonal chageover. The local store where I bought my winters does free seasonal changeovers for me (great!) but I have to store the off-season set and, more importantly at my greater age, I have to wrestle the off-season set into the bed of my pickup -- which I may not have much longer -- and get them to the tire store and then bring the just-removed set home and store them. With the weight of a Macan wheel and tire set, this wears me out... If I had a strapping 18-year old grandson living nearby, the calculus would be different; I don't.

With that as background, I sold the OE all-season Pirellis on the forum long ago and have just now sold my winter set. I am looking at two all-season options:
1) Michelin Latitude Tour HP in OE sizes. Rated N0, which is always desireable. V-rated. A high performance touring tire. I will always buy Michelin if possible, but this tire is rated mid-pack at Tire Rack's web site.
2) Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus in OE sizes. Z-rated: 104Y in front and extra load 110W in rear. An ultra performance all-season tire. With no suitable Michelin available, I put a set of these on my 2022 BMW M3 sedan. Rated #1 at Tire Rack in the high performance all-season category. The difference in load rating front to back gives me pause, though -- will a set of these alter the front/rear handling of my Macan GTS? Also a few bucks cheaper than the Michelins.

What say you? My Michelin fan-boy self wants the Michelins, despite their demonstrably less sportiness. After all, the GTS will never see a track and likely never see triple-digit speeds. But the Continentals have a great reputation and I already have a set on my very high-performance M3. The front to back load-rating disparity should not be an issue in dialy driving, I would think.

Opinions from knowledgeable tire folks welcome.
Don't do it. As my friend who owns a chain of tire shops says...................." All Season Tires - The Tires that are Good at NO Time of Year.

Premium Member
I sort of scanned through these posts in a hurry. I did not see anyone posting the fact that four off season tires/wheels fit in the Macan. You certainly don't need a second vehicle to get them to the tire store to make a seasonal change. I am 83 years old and with a little luck have been able to get them in the car myself. There really is no substitute for the right tire for the right season. The tire store puts them in plastic for the return trip. I roll them into an appropriate area for storage.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Just to close the loop on this topic, for those who read my original post, I was determined to go all-season performance. My winter tire set barely saw any snow at all in a year and a half (now watch us get a record snowfall next winter just to prove me wrong! <grin>) and the Macan GTS is primarily driven by my wife, who loves the acceleration but isn't much into handling. The vehicle almost never gets pushed hard -- probably like most of us, the Macan is a lot more capable than the drivers. So I put a set of Continental DWS06+ ultra-high performance all-season tires on yesterday. We are retired and generally do not have to drive anywhere, so we can avoid severe winter conditions if they occur. And the better summer performance characteristics of a summer tire are probably overkill for our use case. So, yeah, I know that all-season tires give up some performance and capability on both ends of the spectrum but am willing to accept the trade-off. And the Contis are very well-rated by Tire Rack tests and feedback from owners. So I am confident that I have made the right decision for us.

I also have a 2022 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition AWD pickup. I immediately swapped out the OE Firestones on that vehicle for a set of Michelin CrossClimate 2s that are all-weather tires and carry the three-peak symbol for severe winter service. In the event that we had a medical emergency in a snow storm like we get here in the Willamette Vallen of Oregon, that would probably be the optimum safe ride to the hospital. We occasionally get freezing rain/ice storms; in that case, it's best not to venture out at all!

Your use case may be different than mine. I have said before that if you are a first responder or the like and work somewhere that gets severe winter weather or participate in winter sports in the mountains, you should have a set of good winter tires so you can go no matter how bad the weather. That does not apply to us.

Thank you to all who weighed in on this topic; good discussion!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts