Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having decided to take the purist approach and run summers and winters with two sets of wheels and tires, I have now decided to go back to all-seasons and eliminate the seasonal chageover. The local store where I bought my winters does free seasonal changeovers for me (great!) but I have to store the off-season set and, more importantly at my greater age, I have to wrestle the off-season set into the bed of my pickup -- which I may not have much longer -- and get them to the tire store and then bring the just-removed set home and store them. With the weight of a Macan wheel and tire set, this wears me out... If I had a strapping 18-year old grandson living nearby, the calculus would be different; I don't.

With that as background, I sold the OE all-season Pirellis on the forum long ago and have just now sold my winter set. I am looking at two all-season options:
1) Michelin Latitude Tour HP in OE sizes. Rated N0, which is always desireable. V-rated. A high performance touring tire. I will always buy Michelin if possible, but this tire is rated mid-pack at Tire Rack's web site.
2) Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus in OE sizes. Z-rated: 104Y in front and extra load 110W in rear. An ultra performance all-season tire. With no suitable Michelin available, I put a set of these on my 2022 BMW M3 sedan. Rated #1 at Tire Rack in the high performance all-season category. The difference in load rating front to back gives me pause, though -- will a set of these alter the front/rear handling of my Macan GTS? Also a few bucks cheaper than the Michelins.

What say you? My Michelin fan-boy self wants the Michelins, despite their demonstrably less sportiness. After all, the GTS will never see a track and likely never see triple-digit speeds. But the Continentals have a great reputation and I already have a set on my very high-performance M3. The front to back load-rating disparity should not be an issue in dialy driving, I would think.

Opinions from knowledgeable tire folks welcome.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I recently went the other way, getting a set of summer Latitude Sport 3 tires to replace the all-season Latitude Tour HPs. Night and day difference in handling, so I hope you don’t miss the summer tires. I would go with the Contis for the simple reason they will likely be closer to the summer tires in performance. I have not used them before though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Having decided to take the purist approach and run summers and winters with two sets of wheels and tires, I have now decided to go back to all-seasons and eliminate the seasonal chageover. The local store where I bought my winters does free seasonal changeovers for me (great!) but I have to store the off-season set and, more importantly at my greater age, I have to wrestle the off-season set into the bed of my pickup -- which I may not have much longer -- and get them to the tire store and then bring the just-removed set home and store them. With the weight of a Macan wheel and tire set, this wears me out... If I had a strapping 18-year old grandson living nearby, the calculus would be different; I don't.

With that as background, I sold the OE all-season Pirellis on the forum long ago and have just now sold my winter set. I am looking at two all-season options:
1) Michelin Latitude Tour HP in OE sizes. Rated N0, which is always desireable. V-rated. A high performance touring tire. I will always buy Michelin if possible, but this tire is rated mid-pack at Tire Rack's web site.
2) Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus in OE sizes. Z-rated: 104Y in front and extra load 110W in rear. An ultra performance all-season tire. With no suitable Michelin available, I put a set of these on my 2022 BMW M3 sedan. Rated #1 at Tire Rack in the high performance all-season category. The difference in load rating front to back gives me pause, though -- will a set of these alter the front/rear handling of my Macan GTS? Also a few bucks cheaper than the Michelins.

What say you? My Michelin fan-boy self wants the Michelins, despite their demonstrably less sportiness. After all, the GTS will never see a track and likely never see triple-digit speeds. But the Continentals have a great reputation and I already have a set on my very high-performance M3. The front to back load-rating disparity should not be an issue in dialy driving, I would think.

Two fine choices there. I have the Michelins on my GTS, but only because I didn't know that the DWS's were available for it! I ran DWS's on my Cayenne Turbo, S5, and S7, plus my son's WRX and other family cars. My favorite all season of all time!

·
Registered
325 Posts
We replaced the worn-out stock Pirelli's for the Zero All Season's a year ago, and with 10k and one winter on them, are very happy with them so far. I also use DWS06's on our S4 as a winter all-season tire, but I do run a dedicated summer tire on that for the rest of the year.

Reactions: Llarry

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have no experience with the two options you are considering but I switched from my OEM Continental summer tires to the Pirelli Zero All Season Plus (21”) 18 months ago for all of the same reasons you state - storing and swapping two sets of ginormous wheels was too much for me. I never noticed any difference in handling or tire noise- I think these Pirellis are fantastic.

·
Vendor
536 Posts
I've used both tires - both great choices.

As mentioned above, The Pirelli Scorpion AS+ are a very worthy option as well.

In my experience, Michelins tend to live longer and are a touch quieter than DWS, especially as they begin to wear. Both are a confident all weather tire overall . If you're seeing a good bit of snow, I would gravitate toward DWS. I previously used the DWSs on other vehicles year-round until I determined dedicated snows were a must-have for me here in Upstate NY.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I faced a similar conundrum with my 20" wheels until the Pirelli Scorpion Zero all seasons came out. They are an excellent all season performance tire. Mine came with the Michelin Latitude HPs from the factory. Although a decent all season, they are not performance tires, they are touring tires and wore relatively quickly. See Tire Racks' classification for this tire. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Latitude+Tour+HP&frontTire=645VR0LTHPN0&rearTire=94VR0LTHPN0&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Porsche&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Macan GTS&autoModClar=Standard Brakes
I have had experience with the Conti DWS on a prior car and was disappointed by the amount of sidewall flex but I've heard the 06 versions have resolved that. Other than that, they offered great traction for an all season on the RWD car that I had them on. If my wheels are 21", I would have gone with the Michelin PS All Season 4S. But after a couple thousand miles on the Scorpion Zeros, I'm very happy with them. I believe they are OEM on the Ford Explorer ST which is a 400 hp 4700lb SUV.

Reactions: Llarry and 4strings

·
Registered
1,567 Posts

My dealer, Porsche Warrington PA stores my winter and summer wheel / tire sets for free. Just pay them for the price of swapping them out twice a year. Is that not a common practice for Porsche dealers?

Reactions: Llarry

·
Registered
2019 Macan S Night Blue/Agate
83 Posts
I faced a similar conundrum with my 20" wheels until the Pirelli Scorpion Zero all seasons came out. They are an excellent all season performance tire. Mine came with the Michelin Latitude HPs from the factory. Although a decent all season, they are not performance tires, they are touring tires and wore relatively quickly. See Tire Racks' classification for this tire. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Latitude+Tour+HP&frontTire=645VR0LTHPN0&rearTire=94VR0LTHPN0&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Porsche&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Macan GTS&autoModClar=Standard Brakes
I have had experience with the Conti DWS on a prior car and was disappointed by the amount of sidewall flex but I've heard the 06 versions have resolved that. Other than that, they offered great traction for an all season on the RWD car that I had them on. If my wheels are 21", I would have gone with the Michelin PS All Season 4S. But after a couple thousand miles on the Scorpion Zeros, I'm very happy with them. I believe they are OEM on the Ford Explorer ST which is a 400 hp 4700lb SUV.
I've been using DWS on my cars for years- Golf R, GTI, Subaru. You're right- the early DWS had flexy sidewalls. The newer version (06+) is worlds better. These have been my favorite tires for years, because I want good dry performance but still need snow traction. I've strayed to other tires/brands a few times but keep coming back to these.

Once the Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires on the Macan is worn out I'm tempted to go DWS again.

·
Registered
2019 Macan S Night Blue/Agate
83 Posts
One other note with the DWS's - when I had the OEM 21" wheels on my Cayenne Turbo, I was blowing out a lot of sidewalls. I switched to 20" wheels and never had a single tire fail after that.
I had a similar experience on the Golf R. Stock wheels were 19" with a ridiculously thin sidewall (235/35-19). Boston roads are not silky smooth (potholes abound). I was blowing sidewalls so often I should have bought stock in the tire company- seriously, I can't even count the flats I got in 2 years with those wheels. I switched to 18" wheels and a taller sidewall (240/40-18) and never had another issue for the 2 additional years I kept the car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all who posted so far. It looks like the sentiment is in favor of the DWS 06 Plus so far. The dealership is too far away from me to use for chageovers. My concern about the load rating mismatch on the DWS 06 Plus remains, though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just purchased a set of the Michelin Latitude Tour HP AS, replacing the Pirelli Scorpion AS OEM. While I believe the ride is better on the Michelin's, I liked the Pirellis better. The Pirellis had noticeably better high speed (85-100) stability, while the Michelins are squirrelly at these speeds. Tires are properly inflated. I have less than 1,000 miles on these and wish I'd just stayed with the Pirellis. I have no experience with Contis. Best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
4,280 Posts
...how about a second set of wheels with your dedicated snow tires, then you can change them over at your
leisure in your own garage. The only big effort is lifting the wheel/tire assemblies onto the hubs.

This will allow you to run performance tires in both summer & winter!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2022 Macan Gran Turismo Sport
541 Posts
I’ve put 4,400 miles on the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS NE0 specs and I love them. I still want summer tires because there is nothing like a summer tire but the Verde’s are great for an all around good tire. Quiet and plenty of grip so far around town and the freeway.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts