Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the new 2.9L in the GTS and Turbo only require a single air filter ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Because it's a single turbo engine.

·
Super Moderator
1,858 Posts
Aren't the turbos in the newer engines located adjacent to one another on top of the
engine in the valley of the V?

In the older design, each turbo was located outboard of the V, correct?

:unsure:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Aren't the turbos in the newer engines located adjacent to one another on top of the
engine in the valley of the V?

In the older design, each turbo was located outboard of the V, correct?

:unsure:
Yes - described as "...it has been designed with a central turbo layout where the turbochargers are arranged inside the vee of the cylinders. The very short exhaust gas paths between the combustion chambers and the turbochargers thereby ensure outstanding and immediate responsiveness..."

·
Registered
58 Posts
The new engine in the S model is a single turbo design contained within the intake valley instead of the old 3.0L which had two turbos-- one on each exhaust manifold toward the rear of the engine, hence the two air filters.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The new engine in the S model is a single turbo design contained within the intake valley instead of the old 3.0L which had two turbos-- one on each exhaust manifold toward the rear of the engine, hence the two air filters.
The new 2.9L has 2 turbos, which is why I am confused as to why it has only a single filter.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
I don’t know how many turbos the new S has, but biturbo and dual turbo are different. Dual turbo has 2 separate turbos of same size while biturbo is 2 sequential turbos (one small and one big) in one Unit.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
apparently the GTS & Turbo share the 2.9 twin turbo. The S gets the single turbo 3.0 Audi engine. Prior years the S & GTS shared an engine, the Turbo had the 3.6L.
Does The new S have one or two air filters for its single turbo?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don’t know how many turbos the new S has, but biturbo and dual turbo are different. Dual turbo has 2 separate turbos of same size while biturbo is 2 sequential turbos (one small and one big) in one Unit.
Maybe you got them reversed? This says twin turbos are sequential
The term twin turbo has been often given to vehicles that use sequential turbos, a small one for low rpm torque, and a larger one for higher rpms and power. The biturbosystem uses two equally sized turbos, one fed by cylinders 1-3, and the other by cylinders 4-6. They are not sequential or in series, but in parallel.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Maybe you got them reversed? This says twin turbos are sequential
The term twin turbo has been often given to vehicles that use sequential turbos, a small one for low rpm torque, and a larger one for higher rpms and power. The biturbosystem uses two equally sized turbos, one fed by cylinders 1-3, and the other by cylinders 4-6. They are not sequential or in series, but in parallel.
I was too lazy to google. My bad! Apparently, twin turbo and biturbo are interchangeable. The turbo design can be either way, i.e., 2 same sized turbos or 2 sequential turbos (one small and one large).

So I reckon how many air filters has no direct relationship with the turbo design.

·
Super Moderator
1,858 Posts
Perhaps with the two turbo air intakes now sitting right next to each other in the V, there was less incentive to have separate intake air ducting and filtering.
Not to mention the manufacturing co$t savings - one fewer air filter, air filter housing, ducting, etc.
Manufacturers are always looking for ways to reduce cost - and increase profits.

😉

Also, re: sequential turbos - my previous ride, a BMW 335d had a sequential setup - a small, quick spooling turbo for lower RPMs,
some sort of valving mechanism and a larger turbo for higher RPMs. 3.5L and 427 lb/ft of TQ! IIRC, all that TQ was available at
~1300 RPM.

:oops:

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
2 identical turbos = both working at the same time/rpm -> double the output

2 sequential turbos = small turbo working at lower rpms and large turbo working at higher rpms -> only one turbo working at a time, but turbo effect kicks in earlier (at very low rpm)

·
Registered
475 Posts
2 identical turbos = both working at the same time/rpm -> double the output

2 sequential turbos = small turbo working at lower rpms and large turbo working at higher rpms -> only one turbo working at a time, but turbo effect kicks in earlier (at very low rpm)
From what I've read one turbo for each cylinder bank plus center location in the V eliminated some of the lag associated with long plumbing. Win, win.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts