Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My order lockin date is quickly approaching. As the Burmester upgrade is beyond my budget and I have an aversion for any Bose products, I will be "updrading" the base audio. I hope to be able to match or surpass the Burnmester sound quality, within half the option price. A few questions that some may help me with...
Has anyone analysed the analog outputs from the head unit? Does it put out a full range signal? Is there any equalization being done?
Failing ordering the Bose/Burmester option, is there a MOST cable running to the back in order to facilitate the install of a Mobridge unit?
Thanks...

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have the Bose system. As someone else pointed out, it's not bad if you use a good source. I've downloaded some higher-quality files on an SD card and it really helps. I'm sure this is true for the base system as well. After that, you may want to upgrade the speakers and see how it sounds. If that doesn't do the trick, dig into the electronics. But I would be hesitant to do that on any new/complex car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never personaly heard a good Bose system. I am certain that I could add some quality front stage speakers, DSP and an amp(s) and end with a better system than the Bose.
My question is really whether to use the factory optical input into a Mobridge unit or a simpler analog input into a Helix DSP. Not sure if the optical cable is available in the rear of vehicle, if the Bose option is not selected.
I would like to find a full range signal available in the back, so that I may tie in my Helix DSP that I have sitting on my workbench.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
My order lockin date is quickly approaching. As the Burmester upgrade is beyond my budget and I have an aversion for any Bose products, I will be "updrading" the base audio. I hope to be able to match or surpass the Burnmester sound quality, within half the option price. A few questions that some may help me with...
Has anyone analysed the analog outputs from the head unit? Does it put out a full range signal? Is there any equalization being done?
Failing ordering the Bose/Burmester option, is there a MOST cable running to the back in order to facilitate the install of a Mobridge unit?
Thanks...
@mangotangoe SIYF A few others here have upgraded the base system. Search for those threads.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It sounds like you know what you're doing, but on a high end expensive new car I would not want to be tearing into it replacing things off the bat for fear of unintended consequences or warranty worries. I agree that Bose usually isn't all that impressive, but I've been happy with the Bose in my Macan. I did have to adjust a lot of settings including cranking the bass way down, but it's very pleasant now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hope to be able to match or surpass the Burnmester sound quality, within half the option price.
I'd question if this is possible. The Burmester system produces some of the most pure, undistorted sound you will find anywhere. A good Burmester system for the home can easily run six figures. If you love audio and spend enough time in your car it's a steal at just 4-5k. I also would be nervous taking apart pieces of a brand new 70-80k vehicle just to save a few grand on audio.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd question if this is possible. The Burmester system produces some of the most pure, undistorted sound you will find anywhere. A good Burmester system for the home can easily run six figures. If you love audio and spend enough time in your car it's a steal at just 4-5k. I also would be nervous taking apart pieces of a brand new 70-80k vehicle just to save a few grand on audio.
Agreed - there's a chance you can get a small portion of the option cost back on the resale of your Macan with the Burmester, but you would most likely get dinged on resale if you do anything aftermarket. I for one do not buy cars that have aftermarket stereos or alarms/remote starts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, of course... Most of the info I was looking for was buried in various older threads. Thanks

As to tearing up a 70K vehicle... Or hurting resale value. I am not planning a Best Buy style audio upgrade. Most of the "upgrades" ive done over the past 20 years are seamless and can be brought back to factory stock condition.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
If you have the time, I'd love to hear some details/see pictures of what you end up doing. I'm always curious about the cost and effort involved in those things, since the shortcomings of the porsche audio options are so well-known.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, of course... Most of the info I was looking for was buried in various older threads. Thanks

As to tearing up a 70K vehicle... Or hurting resale value. I am not planning a Best Buy style audio upgrade. Most of the "upgrades" ive done over the past 20 years are seamless and can be brought back to factory stock condition.
I thought I would comment since I am 95% done with my upgraded base '15 Macan S aftermarket install. My system is fully functional. All that I have left is to fabricate pillars that house my mid range and tweeters (see photo for my pillar progress). Reverse engineering the pillars has been challenging and with a busy work schedule & my son's school, progress has been slow.

I purchased the base system for my 15 Macan S with a similar goal to mangotangoe. I have Mosconi amps, a Mobridge DA-3 processor/dsp, Scan Speak front speakers and a Morel Sub. I have done my system so the only thing that I will need to turn it back to stock would be to purchase new pillars at $100 each. I have a combination of new and used gear. The used gear I have purchased from the guys on the DIYMobileAudio forum. These guys are very knowledgable and have been great to work with. I have $4000-4500 into my system and with 3400 watts of very clean power and really high quality drivers I can safely say that my system blows away the Burmeister for less $. The limitation to my system is my own tuning abilities.

The Macan is very well put together and is relatively easy to work on with the exception of getting the PCM unit out. The vents and trim pieces need to be removed and they are a [email protected]!! to remove.

I sourced the MOST cable from avinusa. It was a 5m cable that cost me $59. On the Porsche PCM 3 system when I plugged the MOST cable in, the software converted the PCM to a BOSE system and turned on the MOST output. The MoBridge DA-3 system sounds fantastic! The Mobridge guys felt that the DA 3 is a cleaner sounding solution than a DA 2 to other DSP. My concerns with the factory analog outputs was system noise/fidelity and volume level dependent non-linearities in the outputs.

My only issue is that the integrated phone has an echo for the person calling in. MoBridge has not been able to fix that. If you can live with that limitation, I would highly recommend the DA-3. I would check with MoBridge regarding the PCM 4 compatibility.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great post Tom. I am certain your system will sound fantastic when complete. I always find the tuning to be the greatest chalenge.
I just received notice that Mobridge will not be supporting PCM4 . The only other product is Audison that can deal with a MOST to optical convertion.
Too bad I havent found the money tree and could just order up the Burmester system.

·
Registered
2020 Macan Base
3 Posts
Hey Guys,

I just picked up a base 2020 Macan without the Bose audio system.

Does anyone know whats in there currently ? I am having a hard time finding any information on it and secondly what would you all recommend from an upgrade point of view(keep in mind this is a lease vehicle which will go back).

Appreciate your input and feedback.

·
Registered
2019 Macan S
224 Posts
I don't know if I would bother since it's a lease, but you might check these threads for some ideas. Maybe swapping the front speakers is the easiest bet if your comfortable.

·
Registered
2020 Macan Base
3 Posts
I read through those posts end to end last night, my challenge was they were either from the Bose to the Burmester or it was for a 2016 S.

Ideally if I can find out the following information for the base setup.

-Are they powered through the head unit or is there an amp setup for these speakers
-Impedance and current wattage (I can potentially swap out the stock speakers to something better )

Thank you for your input !

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently purchased a 2017 Macan S with the base audio system. Has anyone added aftermarket speakers to the system? If so, did you use an amplifier for the new speakers? The sound in the vehicle is ok, but I think aftermarket speakers would increase the listening pleasure. What brand did you use if you've replaced the factory speakers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
One or two...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You can go into the Configurator, select any model, and at the bottom of the page there will be a selection to show Standard Equipment

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Hey Guys,

I just picked up a base 2020 Macan without the Bose audio system.

Does anyone know whats in there currently ? I am having a hard time finding any information on it and secondly what would you all recommend from an upgrade point of view(keep in mind this is a lease vehicle which will go back).

Appreciate your input and feedback.
Use the search and check out cdr plus upgrade. Flick roll did a base system upgrade years ago might give you some ideas. His was a 2016 Macan not sure if there has been any changes to the base system. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts