Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone- I recently bought a CPO'd '17 Carmine Red GTS with 11K miles on the clock. It was originally sold new in Palm Springs and that was where I bought it. The car is in exceptional condition and the only problems I found upon detailing it at home were the finish seemed to be peeling off the shifter stalk and both exhaust finishers (tips) which come black chrome have the finish flaking off.

I went to my local Porsche dealership and met with the service writer and she looked at the shifter and opined the finish may be failing from someone wearing hand lotion when driving. Regardless she said she would order the replacement. Great.

Then she looked at the exhaust finishers and saw the flaking finish and said she has seen this before and it will just happen again to new finishers. I asked for the finishers to be replaced under warranty since the finish was failing. She told me her service manager was out at the moment and asked me to return later that day. I told her I did not really have time to bring the GTS back to the dealership later in the day and asked if she could use her camera to take photos of the tips to show to her manager and then they could decide how they wished to proceed. She begrudgingly obliged. As we were speaking I noticed another GTS sitting in the service driveway a few cars ahead of mine. We went and inspected the finishers on it and they looked fine. She then told me she would call me in a couple days with their answer.

After a week I called and left her a message asking what the status of the warranty claim was. She called me back and said her manager was still not in, he was ill and off for a couple weeks, but she would get right on it and let me know. A few more weeks go by and I call and leave a message asking for the status of the warranty claim. She calls me back that night and tells me they have decided that they will not warranty the finishers as they have seen others fail too. I told her that was unacceptable to me and that I wanted her to push it to a Porsche Factory Rep for a decision or to anyone else that could decide this issue. She rather curtly said she would do that.

Two weeks later I happened to be in the neighborhood of the dealership so I stopped in- I was not driving the GTS. I asked for the service manager and then met with him and explained the situation. He told me he has sorry for the way this had been handled and that he had told the service writer to cover the finishers and order new ones. I told him I had not heard from her since our call where she told me they would not be replaced. As were were talking, a GTS was parked in front of the showroom and we both went and inspected its finishers and they appeared fine. The service manager told me they would absolutely replace my finishers and the shifter handle under warranty. I thanked him and am now awaiting the parts to arrive so I can take the GTS in and have them installed.

I am pleased with the outcome but displeased that it took as much effort as it did to get Porsche to do the right thing. This is a loaded '17 GTS with 11K miles on it and it has never been in inclement weather or abused. Totally unacceptable for the finish of the finishers to fail. In my opinion, based on having owned about 10 Porsches at this point, Porsche should have stepped up immediately and agreed to warranty this without the hassle and back and forth.

Regardless, has anyone else experienced this issue with their finishers? Aside from that, my wife loves her GTS.

Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
123 Posts
The finish on mine has pitting dots on it as well. Also started showing up before the 10k mile mark.

If anything I'll probably try to ask my dealer if they are willing to do about it closer towards the end of the bumper to bumper warranty. Seems to be very mixed experiences about this on the board. Certainly a very common problem though.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Welcome to the Porsche Macan pitted black chrome exhaust tip club....eventually they all will pit, starting on the outside right tip on the passenger side.

Most likely the pitting is caused by corrosive unburnt hydrocarbons (soot) collecting on the tips during cold startups.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 17 GTS has pitting as well, thinking of getting them stripped and powder coated in the spring. I'd buy aftermarket black ones but I don't want to get the incorrect ones that may or may not play well with the PSE valves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts