Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are no alerts when the transfer case goes bad. Just have to pay attention to details like all Porsche Owners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What did your dealer say when you had the replacement for the 2nd one?
Did they say the case itself was defective? Or did something cause the replacement case to fail?

I assume you were surprised when the 1st replacement case failed & even though it was covered under warranty, it took up your time so you wanted to know why.

I have not had a TC failure & I want to know why yours has failed 3 times.
It has failed twice. The third case will be installed this week. The first time was at 11K miles this second at 60K miles. We were told at 11K that the case was defective. I gather that there are different models of this case, two at least and that the later is apparently more reliable than the first. Such being the situation, and that my first replacement was in 2016, my guess is that the replacement was with the same model that failed in the first place. In any event, this is my last Porsche product. Should have stuck with Lexus. If you own one count on it. One day and at any mileage, it will just start to happen.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
OK
Your 2nd TC (1st replacement under warranty) was the original defective part #. Now, after warranty, it has again failed. There is a new replacement TC model with a new model #, correct?

You have a good argument for PCNA that they used a known defective part to replace your TC under warranty & PCNA KNOWS this since they have a new, improved TC with a new part # that they use on all TC replacements currently.

PCNA should replace your TC @ N/C to you with the new improved part.

After they do this, you can sell your Porsche & buy Lexus or whatever you wish that will, I am certain, have absolutely 0 issues.

;)

Reactions: arnieosp

·
Registered
126 Posts
...After they do this, you can sell your Porsche & buy Lexus or whatever you wish that will, I am certain, have absolutely 0 issues.

;)
In the last 12 years my family went through 4 Lexuses, we still own 2. My Macan S is my first Porsche. If cars were like women I would compare Porsche to a gorgeous sexy blond you wanna hang out with. Your friends envy you and she is a lot of fun.

But as you start thinking about marriage and starting a family, you understand that you want to end up with Lexus. Not as pretty, a little less sexy, but far more reliable and not nearly as high maintenance as the former.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It has failed twice. The third case will be installed this week. The first time was at 11K miles this second at 60K miles. We were told at 11K that the case was defective. I gather that there are different models of this case, two at least and that the later is apparently more reliable than the first. Such being the situation, and that my first replacement was in 2016, my guess is that the replacement was with the same model that failed in the first place. In any event, this is my last Porsche product. Should have stuck with Lexus. If you own one count on it. One day and at any mileage, it will just start to happen.
Bummer about your TC problems. My 2015 S w/ 63k has the original TC with no problems. I recently had the 60k service & inspection at my dealership.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
In the last 12 years my family went through 4 Lexuses, we still own 2. My Macan S is my first Porsche. If cars were like women I would compare Porsche to a gorgeous sexy blond you wanna hang out with. Your friends envy you and she is a lot of fun.

But as you start thinking about marriage and starting a family, you understand that you want to end up with Lexus. Not as pretty, a little less sexy, but far more reliable and not nearly as high maintenance as the former.

So far, I do not think Porsches are unreliable. Especially the 911.
Maybe I will change my mind if I get the dreaded Timing Cover oil leak & Porsche will not pay 100% since past warranty or the Transfer Case failure or even the cracked exhaust bracket. These 3 are known issues & I think s/b covered 100% regardless of expired warranty.

I love both my Porsches.

Reactions: arnieosp

·
Registered
5 Posts

So far, I do not think Porsches are unreliable. Especially the 911.
Maybe I will change my mind if I get the dreaded Timing Cover oil leak & Porsche will not pay 100% since past warranty or the Transfer Case failure or even the cracked exhaust bracket. These 3 are known issues & I think s/b covered 100% regardless of expired warranty.

I love both my Porsches.
Porche as a "Goodwill" gesture has agreed to install the third case asking that I only pay $525. This seemed reasonable and I agreed. It is also a new "latest model;" case so hopefully this will be my last transfer case episodes. I should mention too that the first case failed at 11K miles the second at 44K (not 60 as previously mentioned. This is an unfortunate experience with a $65K car and especially one designed and built by Porsche. One should expect better of the brand. Years ago (1985 to be exact) I bought new a Maserati BiTurbo. Probably one of the worst automobiles ever sold. Spent as much repairing it as the total; purchase price...no exaggeration. The new ones are pretty but once burned.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I am interested to read this....
that the problem can start early

My '16S came to me 18 mos ago w/ 4,300 miles--- now has 8500

I feel a shudder from a dead start... shifting is fine at higher RPM's
I mentioned this to my service rep- he immediately booked me for a 2 day appt
Happens most times - not always
One day it shuddered in all gears - just one day, confuses me

Aug 4th is my appt ... we'll see...

I had been worried that w/ such low mileage the problem would pop up after warranty (Sept '21)

Sooo, if you can call it lucky.... here we go.... new transfer case

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Putting in a defective part to replace the same defective part. Think back to GM with their ignition switch issue. A contractor discovered the issue. The CEO was called up on the Hill to get her butt reamed. The correct part was manufactured and distributed. GM's oh-oh moment? They used the same part number for the replacement switch as the original....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Transfer Case Issues

I have read a few posts regarding Transfer Case issues but they are very general. What are they?

I have a 2016 S and notice when doing a normal launch, there appears to be about 15 seconds when I hear what sounds like driving over bumps.

Could this be the Transfer Case or the Transmission?

Thoughts?
Porsche should put out a recall on these **** things. Our first case crapped out at about 8,000. the second past 30 so we were on the 3rd installed and this one out of warranty. I raised **** and reached an accommodation with the dealer and Porsche. But then we had a plumbing problem that cost $1000 to fix that left my wife stranded and flat bedded to the dealer to fix. Her car and she'd had her fill. Never had these sort of problems with Lexus. Traded for a new Cayenne plus $. If this car has the same sort of history it'll be our last Porsche The Macan is a neat car but a huge disappointment. It's a loser at almost $70K

61 - 71 of 71 Posts