Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transfer Case Issues

I have read a few posts regarding Transfer Case issues but they are very general. What are they?

I have a 2016 S and notice when doing a normal launch, there appears to be about 15 seconds when I hear what sounds like driving over bumps.

Could this be the Transfer Case or the Transmission?

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
I had a funny, stuttering, grinding noise & feeling when I'd start from a dead stop. More a feeling than a sound. Not sure if that's what you're experiencing, but you'll want to have it checked if you have any doubt. I ended up needed a new transfer case & front drive shaft. I was off line for 7 weeks, waiting for the parts, but I'm good as new now.

Reactions: Benz and Louie Zoi

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes - same symptoms as my 2016 S at around around 10K miles. Transfer case had to be replaced. Have 16K now and everything seems to be fine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just curious, of those who had transfer case replaced, how many - if any - have had to have the transfer case replaced a second time? I hope very few. If not, I wonder if this will be an ongoing issue for all Macan owners.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
3 cases in 200,000 Macans. Sounds like an epidemic.
Hardly seems worth worrying about.

Reactions: jzwu and WHT TGR

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
3 cases in 200,000 Macans. Sounds like an epidemic.
Hardly seems worth worrying about.
Actually there have been several dozen transfer case replacements reported just by forum members here, and the number of members here are just a small percentage of all owners, and of course most of us don't have many miles on our Macans yet.

Of course it's not an epidemic, but it's certainly worth keeping an eye on because it seems to be the most widespread potentially long-term problem the owners are reporting.

The good news is that it's not that widespread, at least not yet. Hopefully it's not the type of thing where a few early problems turn out to be an indication of longevity issues with the transfer case.

But at this point it seems to be more than isolated incidents because several forum members have reported that their dealers have immediately recognized the symptoms because they have diagnosed the same problem on other units previously.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I'm guessing the truth lies somewhere in the middle. In either case, having car issues of any sort with ones Macan sucks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: novamchd1 and Benz

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I realize that this forum is just a snapshot of the real world, But several dozen on this forum? Would love to see the list in one place so we can keep an eye in it.

It does seem to be something that occurs relatively early in the car's life. So I suspect if you make it to 15k miles or so without an issue, you are probably fine.

Reactions: lycannyc

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
But several dozen on this forum? Would love to see the list in one place so we can keep an eye in it.
Yeah, there's at least a couple existing threads on this.

Again, other than the early leaky rear washer and exhaust pipe issues, this may be the worst "major" issue with the Macan, and since only a small % of owners are seeing it (so long as the % does not radically increase as our cars age), I don't think it's horrible news (unless you are one of the owners that needs a new transfer case). Overall it seems like the Macan is doing well in terms of frequency of needed repairs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 15 Turbo is giving me a thud if I accelerate hard. If I launch the car I feel it through the floorboard. I don't know if it is cardan shaft, transfer case or what but Porsche says the car is fine.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had my tested by dealer yesterday and is being replaced . Started feeling the judder at 2k miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
Transfer case problem after warranty

I have a 2016 Macan S with 58k miles and now have the problem identified in the forum as a faulty transfer case. Am I in In own or is the dealer likely to contribute given the number of occurrences? If so, what should I expect to pay?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a 2016 Macan S with 58k miles and now have the problem identified in the forum as a faulty transfer case. Am I in In own or is the dealer likely to contribute given the number of occurrences? If so, what should I expect to pay?
We have transfer cases replaced on both of ours.

2014 Cayenne was no questions asked since that has been a known for some time and the behavior is very clearly duplicated.

However, our 2016 Macan was a drag out fight with the dealer and PCNA with them finally giving up and getting us one (we are in warranty) with only excuse by the dealer that "no one else has complained about it".

What I can tell you is that my senior SA told me that on the Cayenne they would replace it even if it would be outside of warranty. I am not sure if that would be the case for out of warranty Macans but it would certainly be worth a fight to press the dealer and PCNA to do it for you at no cost if you can clearly duplicate the issue consistent with the suggestions of forum members here and the bulletin that is issued. Typically it is low speed forward and then reverse motion with sharp wheel angle or parking lot speed crawl that was enough to prove to the dealer that there is a TC issue.

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Since you're only 8K out of warranty, it would seem reasonable that they provide good will
coverage for a known Macan issue. See what they say and if they don't act in a way you feel
is appropriate, start escalating.

Good luck!

;)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Certainly Porsche should cover a known problem....they should actually extend the warranty on the transfer case for x years to everyone.

This reinforces my decision about 10 years ago not to own any car over it's warranty period. I now change cars every 3 years or less....and it's fun...I get to test drive everything. Not sure I'll be getting another Macan...maybe it's time for another BMW or return to MB....and maybe (if pigs fly), Alfa Romeo and Maseratti will improve their build quality/service needs....or perhaps a Tesla if they are still around :)

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
If you still change cars every 3 years, get (lease) the Alfa or Maseratti.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Certainly Porsche should cover a known problem....they should actually extend the warranty on the transfer case for x years to everyone.

This reinforces my decision about 10 years ago not to own any car over it's warranty period. I now change cars every 3 years or less....and it's fun...I get to test drive everything. Not sure I'll be getting another Macan...maybe it's time for another BMW or return to MB....and maybe (if pigs fly), Alfa Romeo and Maseratti will improve their build quality/service needs....or perhaps a Tesla if they are still around /forum/images/MacanForum/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
certainly sounds like fun, but in the interest of full disclosure, you need to include how much you are paying for the privilege of of avoiding potential non-warranty repairs.

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
Porsche used to have a "goodwill program" . In my case it was many years ago with my 993 Turbo that had a clutch chatter (post warranty) only when entering 1st gear . It was so slight but they did call a rep and all clutch parts were replaced .

In your case since a transfer case is a known common issue and that the symptoms arent noticed immediately I think you have a reasonable claim . I only hope the Porsche rep agrees and comps you the service .

·
Registered
608 Posts
Porsche used to have a "goodwill program" . In my case it was many years ago with my 993 Turbo that had a clutch chatter (post warranty) only when entering 1st gear . It was so slight but they did call a rep and all clutch parts were replaced .

In your case since a transfer case is a known common issue and that the symptoms arent noticed immediately I think you have a reasonable claim . I only hope the Porsche rep agrees and comps you the service .
993 Turbo = first-class citizen

Macan = you bought the “cheap” Porsche and don’t deserve any respect from the dealer

1 - 20 of 76 Posts