Car's reaction to wider wheels (22") - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
srp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Car's reaction to wider wheels (22")

Hello!

I'm about to purchase a set of Hamann style rims for my 2015 Macan S.

The problem I'm facing is that the rear wheels are 10.5 - half an inch wider than standard. Meaning, that the height won't be equal front/rear.

Does anyone have experience in this regard? The potential issue here is that the car won't ride properly or at all, if it picks up a fault due to the height difference.

I've been told that Lexus RX has no reaction to it, BMW does, Mercedes doesn't. No information about Macans anywhere.

Also, if anyone is riding on 22" wheels, I'd appreciate any kind of additional input. Particularly regarding the tire size. I'm thinking 295/30 rear, 265/35 front.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)

The width of the wheel has nothing to do with the height. Not sure what you are talking about there.

The tire sizes you mentioned are virtually identical to the overall factory diameters front and rear. There is just as much if not more variation in the factory size changes from 18" wheels up thru the 21" sizes so the height of the tires you listed is not an issue. What is more important in this scenario is the offset of the factory wheels vs. whatever aftermarket wheels you are looking at.

All this said, going bigger than the factory 21" setup is stupid because it will wreck the ride, limit your tire choices to mostly janky off-brand crap and generally just make your Porsche look cheesy. But feel free...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Garage
Default Car's reaction to wider wheels (22")

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatninja View Post
The width of the wheel has nothing to do with the height. Not sure what you are talking about there.

The tire sizes you mentioned are virtually identical to the overall factory diameters front and rear. There is just as much if not more variation in the factory size changes from 18" wheels up thru the 21" sizes so the height of the tires you listed is not an issue. What is more important in this scenario is the offset of the factory wheels vs. whatever aftermarket wheels you are looking at.

All this said, going bigger than the factory 21" setup is stupid because it will wreck the ride, limit your tire choices to mostly janky off-brand crap and generally just make your Porsche look cheesy. But feel free...

... tell me how you really feel...

Yes, what he just said above... 10.5 won’t matter nearly as much as offset will. Offset, bolt pattern, lug vs hubcentric... those things are very important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk