User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Default 2016 S Trip report

I picked up my Agate Grey S with Agate and dark walnut interior at the beginning of August. Since then Iíve put about 7,300 miles on the odometer. Recently returned from a trip that took us from Washington, through Oregon to Southern California and then back again. Included visits to Ashland, Lassen, Yosemite and Sequoia Natíl Parks, Hearst Castle and winding our way back up the California coast through Big Sur.

The S is an incredible vehicle. Great on the interstates and fun through the twisties. Our car was fully loaded (weíre not light packers) and never felt it was running out of steam going through the passes. All of the vehicle functions performed well Ė BSM, ACC, Nav, HVAC, windshield wipers (ran into intense rain on the way back coming through Grants pass).

Handling was superb on Michelin AS on 19Ē Turbo wheels. Ran almost exclusively with AS on low and PASM on sport. Used Sport Mode on in the mountains. Ran Sport Plus once in a while for the fun of it.

Highway mileage in the low 20ís with the car fully loaded and at speed. City mileage varied depending on terrain and the foot but 16-18 was normal. No oil consumption, with the gauge still showing full this morning.

The 18 way seats are very supportive when needed and exceptionally comfortable on long slogs. Had a front seat passenger remark they were the best car seats he had ever been in. The seat heating and ventilation work well. The heated steering wheel is a plus. Have the comfort glass option and it made for a quiet cabin despite some tire noise breakthrough on rougher surfaces. You do have to mount a radar detector in the fretted area for it to work. Used a Radenso Pro SE for the trip and it earned its keep.

Havenít mastered Voice Control yet but found the aha apps POI feature worked great in finding destinations along the way, provided we were in range of data. Also, the touchscreen makes it really easy for the passenger to input a destination. That said it would be a real benefit to be able to send destinations to the Nav from a pc or cell phone. I found the Nav to quickly change features and to change range. Nav directions were almost always spot on though there were a few errors.

Donít listen to a lot of music on a trip, we tend to talk Ė but the Bose is more than adequate for our needs. The Aux Bluetooth worked fine as did all of the Bluetooth phone functions. I installed a $30 XM Snap prior to leaving, plugged it into the backseat DC outlet, so I could listen to BBC World News once in a while and it worked great.

Great trip, great vehicle is the short and long of it. Highly recommend an S to anyone. Iíll try to figure out how to post some photos. Lastly, this is a great forum. Helped me make some good decisions though the ordering, awaiting, receiving and break in process. Many thanks to all of you.
WHT TGR, master, jzwu and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)

Sounds like a great trip. I live in WA and expect trips to the coast, through OR wine country/coast and to Bend OR where my wife's family lives.

I'm really glad to hear the 18-way seats are great. I spec'd them in my Macan S as well, as they were a pretty small upgrade from the 14-way that came with the Premium Plus package.

I'm curious--what wheels/tires are you driving on?

Don't all the Macans come with satellite radio?

my17 macan s . air suspension . porsche torque vectoring plus . premium plus [pdls . bose . dimming mirrors . heated/vented seats . pano roof . entry & drive] . lane change assist . lane departure warning . heated wheel . volcano gray . black trim . black rails . agate gray interior . 18-way sport seats, aftermarket: 20" hre ff15 wheels in tarmac. michelin summer tires . full tint, copper calipers . sport plus (on its way!)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for posting.

Would love to see some pics when you figure out how to post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

19" Turbo Wheels with Michelin AS. Not sure about the model year 17 but I messed radio order up and didn't get the XM option. Snap works fine for me since I really use it for BBC World News and don't change channels for the most part. .
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

A few additional notes. I have PTV Plus on my S and have never felt understeer, and it scoots through the esses and hairpins with ease. Also have PDLS Plus which works very well.

Agate Grey also hide the dirt quite well.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)

Great trip and review. Thumbs up from me.

S Diesel / 20Ē RS Wheels Colored Crest/ Agate Grey / Black Leather Package / Heated Front Seats / Heated Steering Wheel / Automatic Dimming Mirrors / Gloss Black Window Trim / Privacy Glass / 14-way Seats / 3-Zone / Comfort Lighting / LCA / ACC-PAS / Smokers Package / PCM / Park Assist with Camera / Bluetooth / Model Delete / PASM / AS - Picked-up 22/10/2015
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 972 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)

May be just me but I'm not seeing any pics.

Great writeup. Yes, the Macan in any guise, S or Turbo, is an amazing travel companion, completely effortless miles traveled.

I won't ask what Radenso SE Pro is. I will google it instead.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Garage

Real nice review
Can't wait to get mine
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Radar Detector, of course used to keep me legal.
jzwu likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I'm fairly computer literate but haven't discovered the secret to posting pics yet. Tried dragging jpeg files to the "Drag Files Here to Attach" box and they wouldn't come over. Any suggestions appreciated.