User Tag List

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Default Road trip (NY -> ME) review

About a week or so ago, I embarked on road trip from New York to Acadia National Park in Maine, which was the first real long drive with my Macan S that is about three months old now. I drove close to 1,500 miles round trip, and hit the 2,000 mile mark on the first leg of the journey. I was so looking forward to the post break in period, but the car was weighted down with a kayak and cargo box on top, three bikes out back, plus wifey, kid and one labrador. Even though it was packed to the gills and aerodynamically challenged, the Macan handled superbly and still had excellent acceleration under the circumstances. It was a blast to take on this type of road trip. In terms of storage, as many of your know the cargo area is a on the tight side but if you are resourceful you can certainly make it work to haul all your gear and passengers comfortably. The kayak doubles as a storage for lightweight items such as life vests, carbon fiber paddles and bike helmets. The Yakima cargo box (that I have been using for several years now) tackles the heavier items such as the duffels. This was the first time using my new 1UP USA bike rack (that came recommended from folks on this forum), and I have to say itís extremely well made and very solid (even at speed). I am very happy with this purchase, and I highly recommend it for those that are in the market for a hitch mount bike rack. I have seen way too many inferior hitch racks where the bikes are dangling about by the frame (which is not the way to go).

For those that are wondering, gas mileage for trip averaged 18.4 MPG, which is not too bad considering all of the extras I was carrying around. It was great to receive numerous compliments on the car from bystanders as I didnít see any other Macanís the entire trip. The cell phone mount that I recently made and shared on this forum, performed flawlessly. I am a recent Waze user and now I canít drive anywhere without it. It also helped to point out a couple of speed traps along the way. Next thing on my list is to install a V1 for added protection. The car is going back to the dealer next week as my new PCM unit has arrived. I recently lost my satellite button and the dealer determined that the entire PCM unit needs to be replaced, so a new one was ordered from Germany (I was told the cost is $7,500 Ė thank goodness for warranty coverage). Other than that and a small rattle from the hatch lock area that I need to get looked at, I have no complaints and I just love driving it (now even more than ever since I can throw in sport mode and rev it up). This forum is great and a very valuable source of information to Macan owners and potential owners. Keep it up. Attached are some pictures from this incredible trip. Even the pup was smiling. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a.jpg (200.7 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg 2a.jpg (152.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg 3a.jpg (251.1 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg 4a.jpg (256.5 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 5a.jpg (360.6 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg 6a.jpg (92.3 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 7a.jpg (141.6 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg 8a.jpg (175.5 KB, 173 views)
TripleL, NETX, remgb and 24 others like this.

"I am the fly who dreams of the spider." - October Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)

Nice write-up. Thanks for sharing.
Louie Zoi likes this.

S Diesel / 20Ē RS Wheels Colored Crest/ Agate Grey / Black Leather Package / Heated Front Seats / Heated Steering Wheel / Automatic Dimming Mirrors / Gloss Black Window Trim / Privacy Glass / 14-way Seats / 3-Zone / Comfort Lighting / LCA / ACC-PAS / Smokers Package / PCM / Park Assist with Camera / Bluetooth / Model Delete / PASM / AS - Picked-up 22/10/2015
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Garage

As unhappy as the lab looked in picture 7, he seems to be having a ball in picture 8...

Great write-up!
janene, djs2303 and Aprilia850 like this.

Ordered: 2015 Macan S, Agate/full black leather/brushed aluminum, PASM/AS, 20" Spyder wheels with monochrome crests, Premium Package Plus, gloss black roof rails and window trim, factory blades and fascia, model delete, ACC/PAS, LCA, 3-zone climate, smoker's pkg.

Delivered: 3/24/2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aftermarket: Cobb AccessPort, Passport Max2 on Blendmount, ProClip for iPhone on center console.

75,000 miles and no problems
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)

Thanks @quincydog

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
djs2303 likes this.

WHITE MACAN . CONFIGURED WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT I WANT AND NONE OF THE STUFF I DON'T NEED. HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SINCE FEBRUARY 28TH 2015.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Garage

Great summary. Also great color combo choice!
djs2303 likes this.

Macan Turbo MY15 (Rhodium Silver Metallic, Black leather package, Premium package Plus, Sport Chrono Package, Air suspension w/ PASM, 21" 911 Turbo wheels, 3-Zone climate control, Comfort lighting package, glossy side trim, tinted LED tail lights, Roof rails in black, carbon fiber interior and steering wheel, tow hitch, bi-xenon headlights in black, deletion of model designation, side blades plastidipped anthracite grey)

Macan Turbo MY15 returned as lemon
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

@quincydog -- Thanks for the great writeup! Your pictures are fantastic, I'm picturing our Macan configured in a similar manner for Colorado adventures!

We should be getting our Macan in the next couple of weeks -- just in time for an adventure over Labor Day Weekend.

What is the sling/hammock that you have in the back seat to protect the interior from your dog? Orvis?

Thanks again!

MY16 Macan S
Carrara White Metallic & 20" Spyder Wheels
Leather with Saddle Brown/Luxor Beige w/ PP+
Info+ & BOSE, PASM, Sport Chrono, LKA, LCA, PAS
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)

Beautiful car and pictures!

I look that also (picture 7) for a few minutes when it's time to get out of the Macan.
WHT TGR likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)

Putting the "U" in SUV!!!
Louie Zoi and Jerry like this.

2015 Macan S: Rhodium Silver on Black
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Love it awesome pics I have a November delivery date and looking foward to a nice drive. Maybe catskills or Adirondacks.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)

SUPERB!! The family, the car, the trip, the pooch!! What it's all about!!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful event... great photography, too!!

All the best!!

Louie Zoi likes this.

2017 MACAN GTS Rhodium Silver*Black Leather Pkg | 20" SD Wheels*Pirelli | PTV+ | PDLS+ | Gloss Black Door Handles | Side Blades in Rhodium Silver | Porsche Entry&Drive | 14-Way Seats*Memory Pkg | LCA | ACC-PAS | ParkAssist*Surround View | Auto-Dimming Mirrors | Steering Wheel Heating | Seat Heating & Ventilation | Dark Walnut Interior Pkg | Instrument Dials in White | Compass on Dashboard*White Dial | NAV*PCM*Connect + | Smoking Pkg | Aluminum-Look Fuel Cap