62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #51 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblow View Post
When I was buying an SUV for my son three years ago, I did extensive comparison and came away with the CR-V as the best overall. But the comparison was only among non-luxury compact SUVs at that time. That was then. Now the CX-5 is not just a CX-5 anymore. At the $35-40K range, you should not compare the CX-5 to the X3 or the Macan, but you could compare it to the Volvo XC40. My money is on the XC40 R-Design T5 AWD. It has so much style, performance, and refinement IMO the CX-5 just cannot beat.

I admit to not testing the XC40, but I drove many XC60s (Inscription, R-Design, both T5 and T6 variants). While very nice cars, none of them ever felt really exciting enough. There was an annoying delay in throttle response, and the steering was too light / lacked any feel.

Perhaps the tuning is better on the shorter 40, but believe the basic platform and powertrains are the same.

2018 Sport Edition - PEC ATL delivery #694

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Honda S2000
2007 Acura RDX (for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:50 AM

Default Base Macan vs CX5 2.5T

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
The pricing of options on the base Macan, the cost of service (compared to a Mazda) , tires, brakes make the Porsche sound illogical . On the other hand a great driving little car, which will still look great in 10 years , 80K loaners and being a part of a community of other iconic cars makes owning any of these things an experience .

If one is a person who looks at it like it's "just a car" then I cant argue a value play . However if budget allows to dip ones toes into Porsche then the base Macan is that first step.
Pretty much my thought process and how I landed where I did...

2007 Honda S2000
2007 Acura RDX (for sale
)
post #53 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJP 993 View Post
Smart move. Mazda has always had the best handling "driver's cars" of any of the Japanese automakers

On an across the lineup basis, I’d agree with you, but Honda/Acura has had a number of better handling models. They just can’t seem to be consistent with it.

2007 Honda S2000
2007 Acura RDX (for sale
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
This is such a tough comparison. Somewhere on this forum I once said "may as well just buy a CRV" if value is the priority . I could have said Mazda , Nissan , Acura, etc. There are many cars which have niche buyers due to some attribute of the vehicle or brand . Each have something to offer .

The pricing of options on the base Macan, the cost of service (compared to a Mazda) , tires, brakes make the Porsche sound illogical . On the other hand a great driving little car, which will still look great in 10 years , 80K loaners and being a part of a community of other iconic cars makes owning any of these things an experience .

If one is a person who looks at it like it's "just a car" then I cant argue a value play . However if budget allows to dip ones toes into Porsche then the base Macan is that first step.
Stated perfectly.

Every now and then, my mind says “well, they’re just cars... albeit nice ones”. But most days, when I walk out to the garage and see a Carmine Red SUV parked in my garage with the Porsche badge on it, that little kid stomach gurgle raises its head... And I smirk, just a little... and remember what it’s like to be “excited” about a car, and racing, and a car community. And I think, “that’s why people spend the money on such things”. Many people don’t get it, and they never will. I don’t blame them. They don’t know what it feels like to have a car or motorcycle with “soul”. Porsches have it... believe it or not, 4Runners have it too. To each their own, and for their own reasons... it’s the great thing about living here. I for one, just enjoy the dialogue on both sides of the fence.
Faux Paws, philbert and FWSMacan like this.
post #55 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusted View Post
lol yeah but no one ever said a Macan Turbo PP is comparable to a Mazda 3 GT. Was always talking about a low option base Macan vs a fully loaded signature CX5.
Oh sure - I totally get that. I was referring to brand feel. I had a "lower end-ish" Macan before the Turbo PP. The feel and opulence are the same IMO. I also have driven a new CX-5 (w/o the turbo) as a loaner car when my Mazda 3 was getting serviced. The "feel" was a similar to my Mazda 3. That's all I got...
trusted likes this.

2018 Porsche Macan Turbo PP | Sapphire Blue Metallic | Natural Espresso Leather + Dark Walnut | Premium Package Plus | SportDesign Package + Mirrors | PDLS+ LED Headlamps | Illuminated Door-Sill Guards in Brushed Aluminum | Rear Sun Shades | Connect Plus | Insulated Glass | Heated Front + Rear Seats | Ventilated Front Seats | Aluminum Roof Rails | Sport Chrono | PJRDNKY3

2018 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T | Matador Red Metallic | Black Leather | Virtual Cockpit | Loaded Daily Commuter
post #56 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)

Quote:
This is such a tough comparison. Somewhere on this forum I once said "may as well just buy a CRV" if value is the priority . I could have said Mazda , Nissan , Acura, etc. There are many cars which have niche buyers due to some attribute of the vehicle or brand . Each have something to offer .

If the Porsche badge is the allure then a $50K base Macan is a great and budget friendly way to get in. I said and get that. Also agree with the timeless design argument. Any Macan looks and will look better then a CX5 in a couple of years.
tothelimit2029 likes this.

Last edited by trusted; 12-22-2018 at 01:01 PM.
post #57 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbert View Post
I admit to not testing the XC40, but I drove many XC60s (Inscription, R-Design, both T5 and T6 variants). While very nice cars, none of them ever felt really exciting enough. There was an annoying delay in throttle response, and the steering was too light / lacked any feel.

Perhaps the tuning is better on the shorter 40, but believe the basic platform and powertrains are the same.

I haven't either, but it is top rated by pretty much all magazines reviews and news outlet in the subcompact luxury crossover segment. Car & Driver Editor's Choice, Motor Trend SUV of the Year Finalist, US News & World Report #1 rank Luxury Subcompact SUV, KBB Best Buy Award, etc. The biggest negatives come from Consumer Reports as they say the shifter out of Park is clumsy and the infotainment system is cumbersome to use while driving. If I'm in the market I'd seriously go have a long test drive.

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, SSK, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso
post #58 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblow View Post
I haven't either, but it is top rated by pretty much all magazines reviews and news outlet in the subcompact luxury crossover segment. Car & Driver Editor's Choice, Motor Trend SUV of the Year Finalist, US News & World Report #1 rank Luxury Subcompact SUV, KBB Best Buy Award, etc. The biggest negatives come from Consumer Reports as they say the shifter out of Park is clumsy and the infotainment system is cumbersome to use while driving. If I'm in the market I'd seriously go have a long test drive.
Maybe I have brand bias towards Volvo. But the problem I have with the XC40 is that I'd have to look at it every time I drive it.
post #59 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusted View Post
Maybe I have brand bias towards Volvo. But the problem I have with the XC40 is that I'd have to look at it every time I drive it.

You mean that you cannot stop admiring it every time before you take a drive? The contemporary styling is drop dead gorgeous. I've never owned a Volvo and I totally dig the XC40.

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, SSK, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso
post #60 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)

I also dig the XC40, and was considering picking one up. Then I sat in one. They’re awful small, and really not that nice. Admittedly, it wasn’t a top of the line car I sat in, but the size was a problem so I didn’t pursue it further.