Base Macan vs CX5 2.5T - Page 5 - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #41 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2083 Post(s)

To be honest, I really feel German cars feel and drive better than Japanese cars in general. Don’t get me wrong. I have owned Mazda, Honda, Nissan and Toyota.

Once I had a BMW I didn’t go back to Japanese cars anymore. However, every time my German cars had quality issues I wish it were a Japanese car. LOL

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parraboi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusted View Post
Quote:
Because what’s the reason for the comparison? To make base owners feel like badge snobs for not picking the cx5 just because of the badge and wasted $15000? My friend owns a new cx9 and just by closing the door I’ve realised how thin the sheet metal used on the body, and don’t get me started on the Mercedes wannabe interior design. If you wanna save money for sure go for a cx5 but the whole premium and solid feel of a Macan while driving and standing still is miles ahead of a cx5 imo. To me someone buying a Macan wouldn’t even consider a cx5 for whatever the reason, as you’ve done aswell. With the fpace, x3/4, glc,q5 we have valid comparisons
To be honest your whining starts to get on my nerves. You obviously have never driven or sat in a new CX5 much less the Signature trim with the new interior, engine and suspension. One thing the new CX5 particularly has is a super solid door feel. So that was a funny statement. And the interior is top notch. More like Porsche wannabe then Mercedes by the way. The comparison of the two is also valid because handling and acceleration is now close to a base Macan without PASM and AS. Have you even watched the Motoman video I posted? Here it is again: https://youtu.be/WEhkY2Sofmc?t=559
He also feels the new CX5 handling is close to a base Macan and unlike you he is someone who knows a great deal about all kinds of cars and brands. If that makes you feel like a base Macan is wasted $15K or makes you feel lesser of it then I can't help it. But that definitely is not the point of this thread...
Enjoy your Mazda, it’s so good that you can compare it to a Porsche and pick it over a base Macan. At least that’s what you’ve done right?
If it’s just to compare the models, shouldn’t have you made the title cx5 vs Macan and not just the base? As the cx5 is 1 second slower than the base and 2 second slower than the S to 100km/hr, and handling wise wouldn’t a base handle better than above variants due to the lighter front end? Rest of the car being the same
post #43 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)

Quote:
If itís just to compare the models, shouldnít have you made the title cx5 vs Macan and not just the base? As the cx5 is 1 second slower than the base and 2 second slower than the S to 100km/hr, and handling wise wouldnít a base handle better than above variants due to the lighter front end? Rest of the car being the same
This is pointless. Next time I post I'll ask you for advice and consent in advance. Please go and troll someone else's thread. I'm done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusted View Post
Mazda CX 5 gets a 2.5L 250hp turbo engine!!! I think I've found my new daily driver. Going to trade my 2017 CX 5 asap
https://motorillustrated.com/2019-ma...ss-it-deserved
Smart move. Mazda has always had the best handling "driver's cars" of any of the Japanese automakers (witness: still no CVT, thankfully!), but has been lacking power in certain models. I rented a CX-5 Grand Touring for a week this summer and was generally impressed with how it drove, other than the power shortfall. I think the market will readily support an upscale, performance version with Japanese reliability at under $40K. Let us know how you like the new one.
trusted and rasetsu like this.
post #45 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbv View Post
Geez - not even a fair comparison. A Mazda????
Yup. Can't compare...I drive a 2018 Mazda 3 GT as my daily driver and grocery mobile. It's a nice car with all of the creature comforts I prefer (heated steering wheel / seats, LEDs, etc.), but it's not a Porsche. I get into my Macan, and the feel and experience is a whole lot different - even before I start it. The Porsche just puts a smile on my face.
Dkayak likes this.

2018 Porsche Macan Turbo PP | Sapphire Blue Metallic | Natural Espresso Leather + Dark Walnut | Premium Package Plus | SportDesign Package + Mirrors | PDLS+ LED Headlamps | Illuminated Door-Sill Guards in Brushed Aluminum | Rear Sun Shades | Connect Plus | Insulated Glass | Heated Front + Rear Seats | Ventilated Front Seats | Aluminum Roof Rails | Sport Chrono | PJRDNKY3

2018 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T | Matador Red Metallic | Black Leather | Virtual Cockpit | Loaded Daily Commuter
post #46 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedToGoPP View Post
Yup. Can't compare...I drive a 2018 Mazda 3 GT as my daily driver and grocery mobile. It's a nice car with all of the creature comforts I prefer (heated steering wheel / seats, LEDs, etc.), but it's not a Porsche. I get into my Macan, and the feel and experience is a whole lot different - even before I start it. The Porsche just puts a smile on my face.
lol yeah but no one ever said a Macan Turbo PP is comparable to a Mazda 3 GT. Was always talking about a low option base Macan vs a fully loaded signature CX5.
post #47 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtogopp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbv View Post
geez - not even a fair comparison. A mazda????
yup. Can't compare...i drive a 2018 mazda 3 gt as my daily driver and grocery mobile. It's a nice car with all of the creature comforts i prefer (heated steering wheel / seats, leds, etc.), but it's not a porsche. I get into my macan, and the feel and experience is a whole lot different - even before i start it. The porsche just puts a smile on my face.
100%
post #48 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasetsu View Post
Check your brand biases at the door and a loaded new CX-5 can make a lot more sense than a mildly optioned Macan Base to a lot of people. If my budget limited me to a Base Macan, you can bet I'd be cross shopping Mazda and Acura.

I'm with you on this! We drove nothing but GM vehicles (Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Cadillac) and moved up to their SUVs when they came out and at that point got my first Corvette which even today (thinking of getting a ZR-1) is way cheaper than a 911. Any brand should get you 100K miles these days but domestics are way cheaper to maintain, short or long term. I really don't understand why so many on here believe German vehicles are the way to go, especially since you trade vehicles so often. This is especially true to the ones who trade-in their Porsche right before it turns 40K miles because they are afraid it might turn into a pumpkin. A compact Macan for a family vehicle, really, when there are so many other larger and cheaper options available. What a waste of money! You can buy a fulled loaded domestic vehicle for a fraction of the price of a foreign one even before you start adding your options. Don't say it's because their quality is better, don't make me laugh! In the old days when the foreign vehicles were made overseas it made sense because their quality was definitely better. These days, most of the MB and BMWs are made in the good old USA. Their quality isn't any better since the domestic models had to up their game in order to stay in the game. It's all in print, so read the vehicle ratings to see for yourself. I didn't buy my FIRST Porsche until I was 60, well after I was financially stable and decided to step outside my comfort zone. I can buy any new Porsche I want but I prefer to do other things with some of my money which include taking our family on some really nice vacations. Some upcoming ones include a 11 day Alaskian Cruise/Land Excursions and a 14 day African Safari. I will take family over a badge any day!
trusted and rasetsu like this.

2017 Macan Turbo PP in Carmine Red (Lipstick Red) with Turbo Exterior Package, all the performance options and other stuff, Opti-Coat Pro+, Expel Ultimate, COBB Stage 1 tune, Flat6 High Flow Air Filters - aka "Redneck Sled". First Macan - 2015 Macan S in Agate Grey with Epel Ultimate. Lowered with H&R Sport Springs and tuned with a Race Chip.
post #49 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 683 Post(s)
Quoted: 3378 Post(s)

This is such a tough comparison. Somewhere on this forum I once said "may as well just buy a CRV" if value is the priority . I could have said Mazda , Nissan , Acura, etc. There are many cars which have niche buyers due to some attribute of the vehicle or brand . Each have something to offer .

The pricing of options on the base Macan, the cost of service (compared to a Mazda) , tires, brakes make the Porsche sound illogical . On the other hand a great driving little car, which will still look great in 10 years , 80K loaners and being a part of a community of other iconic cars makes owning any of these things an experience .

If one is a person who looks at it like it's "just a car" then I cant argue a value play . However if budget allows to dip ones toes into Porsche then the base Macan is that first step.
post #50 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)

When I was buying an SUV for my son three years ago, I did extensive comparison and came away with the CR-V as the best overall. But the comparison was only among non-luxury compact SUVs at that time. That was then. Now the CX-5 is not just a CX-5 anymore. At the $35-40K range, you should not compare the CX-5 to the X3 or the Macan, but you could compare it to the Volvo XC40. My money is on the XC40 R-Design T5 AWD. It has so much style, performance, and refinement IMO the CX-5 just cannot beat.

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, SSK, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso