User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Default Warranty expiring, what to do?

I have a 2015 Macan Turbo with almost 32K Miles, warranty expires in June. The Stealer sells one, but wants me to do service there. I try to do my own service. What are you guys doing? Is there an aftermarket that's better/cheaper? If thread is in the wrong section, please move it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Garage

My BMW warranty expired 15 months ago. It was very liberating.
Buying an extended? I'm sure your dealer has one. But read the fine print ...
I don't think it says you must perform all services there. I'm sure your dealer would like you do all services there.
Stealership oil change is 500 bucks. Indy is 200, ten oil changes is 3ooo dollars difference. That would pay for a lot of repairs and parts.
Zimmerman rotors for my "S", an OEM supplier are 105 bucks ea on my desk. A Porsche part number? I don't need that.
As cars and technology changes, parts get cheaper, and used parts appear. This could be your golden years of motoring....

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the Albatross
About my neck was hung.

"Samuel Taylor Coleridge"
Skinsfan, Shark and jzwu like this.

Mid Life crisis?
NO... it's been pretty constant.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)

I have Geico MBI and just enjoy the car. Hopefully will never need to use.

Delivered on 02/11/2015: Macan S Agate Gray | Black Int w/carbon fiber | 20" RS with colored crest cap | 14-way Seats | PASM/AS | Prem+ | High Gloss Trim | Rear Fascia and Side Blades painted | Park Assist/cam | Heated Steering Wheel | LCA | 3-Zone | Smoking Pkg | Comfort Lighting |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)

I did nothing.

A few weeks ago there was a member on this forum, who has extended warranty that doesn't cover an oil leak. Still waiting for the details.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:30 AM
K-A

Mentioned: 733 Post(s)
Quoted: 2093 Post(s)

The only one I'd get is Fidelity (Platinum). Porsche guys speak highly and have used it a lot with great results. Like a CPO with a small deductible.

Last summer I bought an extended 6 year plan. I'm NOT the type of worry wart who would buy an extended warranty, but I had a PDK replacement just before my CPO was up (something I was pushing to do because it made a specific clattering when it was very cold, but otherwise worked perfectly) which actually made me feel comfortable NOT getting an extended warranty, but the price drew me in. $3,700 for 6 year coverage seemed reasonable to me for a 911 (I worked some negotiating magic and found the right broker).

Porsche 911 C2 (991.1) | Aqua Blue/Black, PASM, PTV+, PDK, Sport Chrono, 20" Black HRE's, Red Calipers, Black Tips/Markers/Badge, H&R Sport Springs, Sharkwerks X Pipe, Vorsteiner CF Spoiler, Painted SPASM Front Lip, Most fluff stuff, Tints.

'18 Hyundai Sonata | Black/Black.

Sold:
'15 Macan S SportDesign | White/Black, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Summer's, AS/PASM, Gloss Black Trim, PP, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Tints.

'13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black | M-B's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport," '02 S500.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

I did nothing as well, going on my own. At 61k and 4 1/2 years so far.
jzwu likes this.

2015 Macan S with 20" RS Spyders, White w Black interior, Premium Plus, PASM, Bose, Sirius/XM, Roof Rails, Hitch.
13 Boxster S
05 Boxster (gone)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)

@grim we need a thread about Macan’s afterlife without any warranty. LOL
kite pilot and Darkanion like this.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1284 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
@grim we need a thread about Macan’s afterlife without any warranty. LOL
I really don't understand this obsession with extended warranties. When did that become a thing? I've had my Porsches for years outside of warranty. Its pretty well known that that the only people who benefit from them are the insurance companies. They are not in business to lose money.

Really, when did this become a thing? Take the money you would have used to pay for it, earn interest. If there are no problems, you make money. If there are, you have the money. My suspicions are that people actually borrow the money to buy the insurance. But thats just a guess.
kite pilot, Skinsfan, jzwu and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)

I see the point grim.

I make the same argument when buying a car....cash or borrow?
Cars are a depreciating asset.... wrong place for cash - IMO

My current purchase in Jan was 4.1% ... I can beat that ROI all day long.

The other thing I did was put the car in my daughter's name... and I pay her monthlies.
She is saving to buy a house and needs a credit rating.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:14 AM
K-A

Mentioned: 733 Post(s)
Quoted: 2093 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
I really don't understand this obsession with extended warranties. When did that become a thing? I've had my Porsches for years outside of warranty. Its pretty well known that that the only people who benefit from them are the insurance companies. They are not in business to lose money.

Really, when did this become a thing? Take the money you would have used to pay for it, earn interest. If there are no problems, you make money. If there are, you have the money. My suspicions are that people actually borrow the money to buy the insurance. But thats just a guess.
I mean, my inherent nature agrees with this. The only reason I got one was because my PDK had just been replaced which spooked me a bit (also made me feel like I had one LESS reason to get a warranty), and because one trans or engine can be over $20K. Also because I felt $3,700 for 6 years is very reasonable. If I don’t use it once, sure, money wasted, but within “reason.” I also had to buy my car cash since I flew across country on a whim to buy it private party, so I already have a bunch of money tied in it. What’s a few K more? 😑
wspollack likes this.

Porsche 911 C2 (991.1) | Aqua Blue/Black, PASM, PTV+, PDK, Sport Chrono, 20" Black HRE's, Red Calipers, Black Tips/Markers/Badge, H&R Sport Springs, Sharkwerks X Pipe, Vorsteiner CF Spoiler, Painted SPASM Front Lip, Most fluff stuff, Tints.

'18 Hyundai Sonata | Black/Black.

Sold:
'15 Macan S SportDesign | White/Black, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Summer's, AS/PASM, Gloss Black Trim, PP, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Tints.

'13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black | M-B's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport," '02 S500.