64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #81 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshore View Post
I of course agree with you @RidgeRunner0207 the mark up on those warranties are ridiculous. I politely told the F and I guy that I would think about it. Yeah right. Since I just got a new transfer case under the factory warranty and I only put on 8k miles or so per year I'm probably not going for an extended warranty.
Logically, I agree with you not to get the extended warranty. But a few horror stories about engine and PDK needing replacement worries me.

I am not too worried about the transfer case since it is well known and Porsche usually does some goodwill if it happens. The total cost is only $3-4k anyway.
Jshore likes this.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

I just purchased a "Porsche Protection Plan" extended warranty for my 2017 Macan GTS with 16,500 miles on it from my dealership. The underwriter is "Safeguard" and its good at any Porsche dealership in USA. I ended up going for the Platinum 84 month plan (or 3 extra years) 60K miles with $250 deductable. 60k miles is plenty for me as it is only driven on the weekends. The cost was about $4300 (after they gave me a $250 discount). The extended warranty program from Porsche just came into play about a year ago. It cost a bit more than other 3rd party warranties but if you need it there should be less "red tape" to deal with.
post #83 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradyex View Post
I just purchased a "Porsche Protection Plan" extended warranty for my 2017 Macan GTS with 16,500 miles on it from my dealership. The underwriter is "Safeguard" and its good at any Porsche dealership in USA. I ended up going for the Platinum 84 month plan (or 3 extra years) 60K miles with $250 deductable. 60k miles is plenty for me as it is only driven on the weekends. The cost was about $4300 (after they gave me a $250 discount). The extended warranty program from Porsche just came into play about a year ago. It cost a bit more than other 3rd party warranties but if you need it there should be less "red tape" to deal with.
Make sure you read the fine print. Had a Safeguard policy on the Cayenne and the Warrantor has no affiliation with Porsche nor PCNA.

Yes you can take you car to any Porsche dealer but they will not perform any work unless you agree upfront to pay whatever Safeguard does not. The dealer needs to get prior approval from Safeguard or no coverage, and the dealers have no contractual relationship with Safeguard, although of course they are happy to perform the work for anyone so long as they know they will be paid. You need to be aware that sometimes Safeguard will not approve repairs without inspecting the car, and it may be several days before an adjuster shows up, especially if you don’t live close to a major city.

And you can get caught in the middle when the adjuster and the dealer don’t agree on required repairs.

Safeguard will cover you but their adjusters are looking for any reason to deny the claim. My guess is they have financial incentives to do so.

Finally, the policy provides you can’t sue them no matter how arbitrary they are. You are limited to arbitration.

Good luck.

Again read the fine print. Fully understand the exclusions. Read them VERY carefully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

AAA members can purchase Route 66 extended warranty policies @ what is commonly referred to as 'dealer cost'.

No need to deal with slimy F&I types, their fables and their finder's fees.

Late last year one of this numbskulls declared to me: You are NOT going to find a loan under 3%. That is Not happening !
I ended up having to whip out the phone with confirmation message to prove that unlike him I didn't deal in fertilizer.

Embarrassing ? Nah, that's called show business. ©
post #85 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 PM

Now horror stories of 3rd party extended warranty makes me even more worried about them than potential future car breakdown. LOL

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #86 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
Now horror stories of 3rd party extended warranty makes me even more worried about them than potential future car breakdown. LOL

LOL! Even SafeGuard has an underwriter called "Virginia Surety Company" located in Chicago. Anyway, I have already gone through one transfer case at the 12k mile mark and just wonder if its going to hold up for 4 more years? I really don't like owning Porsches past the warranty date and I plan to keep my Macan GTS for the next 3-4 years. To each his own.

Last edited by gradyex; 01-12-2019 at 01:48 AM.
post #87 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradyex View Post
its good at any Porsche dealership in USA..
Unfortunately not quite true.

According to the Porsche protection plan brochure published by Porsche financial services, service is only available at PARTICIPATING authorized dealers. Actually the vast majority do participate, but what else did your dealer possibly tell you that's not quite true?

Be careful.
post #88 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Philly View Post
Unfortunately not quite true.

According to the Porsche protection plan brochure published by Porsche financial services, service is only available at PARTICIPATING authorized dealers. Actually the vast majority do participate, but what else did your dealer possibly tell you that's not quite true?

Be careful.

They told me that the extended warranty is "factory backed from Porsche" (seriously) but I don't think Porsche is in the insurance business?
post #89 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:24 AM

Any 3rd party extended warranty story saved someone’s ass, i.e., paid out for big repairs like engine and transmission over $10k?

There got to be some positive side.

post #90 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:07 AM

I have a great relationship with my dealer. Purchased 3 new cars from them in last 15 years. They have stepped up to the plate for me in the past. You can go directly to Fidelity and save about $600 bucks for the same coverage. I decided to go this route instead.