Ordered my Fidelity warranty - Page 8 - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

 64Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #71 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 07:33 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Recent conversation with Troy at FD-Warranty

Wanted to share the following information:


- Received quote from Troy for a 3 year / 36k mile Fidelity Platinum Policy with a $250 deductible. My Macan is 3 1/2 years old and has 22,000 miles. Cost of the policy was $2,177 based on rate schedule for cars with 10k to 25k miles Called local Audi dealer who quoted me $2,500 for the exact same Fidelity policy. Audi dealer also offered me something called a "Porsche" policy for $2,800. While I didn't pursue any of the details with them, it sounded like a third part warranty written exclusively by Porsche / Audi dealers.



- Given that Fidelity policies start on the day they are written, I asked Troy if there was any urgency to write the policy now as opposed to waiting for my original warranty to expire. He said I could wait until one month before the warranty expires. He also indicated that Fidelity sets their premiums on January 1st. of each year and that the rates he quoted me yesterday would be in effect 5 months from now.


- Talked with the Service Advisors at three Porsche dealers in my area who indicated that they all work with Fidelity and have had no problems with them. The one new piece of Information I received however was that Fidelity has the right to specify the use of "re-manufactured" Porsche parts as opposed to new Porsche parts. One of the Service Advisors did say that the "Porsche" extended warranty provided for the use of new original Porsche parts exclusively.
Casey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 08:19 PM
Senior Member
 
fincher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
Curious where you saw that? My dealer told me the vast majority of Porsche dealers will work with Fidelity on a covered repair, but a few will not. And they also stressed that Fidelity (not the dealer) has to approve all repairs upfront as with other Fidelity policy.



On the other hand, obviously Fidelity and PCNA has some sort of relationship with this product, and one would think if Fidelity was regularly screwing over Porsche customers the dealers would complain loudly and PCNA would have some leverage to correct the problem.



One other thing to point out. Even Fidelity's highest level policy is not nearly as comprehensive as CPO coverage. All in the fine print.


That’s how it worked when I had it with my VWs. Not sure if it’s clearly stated in literature, though... you are correct that Fidelity has to approve the repair, which sometimes requires a rep to see the issue.

My V8 Touareg had the intake motor flaps go kaput on three occasions. First one was covered under factory warranty. The other times it was covered under extended warranty.

I also had the warranty on my Touareg diesel. Not sure if it was necessary for that ride but glad I had it. My TDI has only one issue, AdBlue Heater going out and that happened early on.

2017 Porsche Macan Base
2012 VW Touareg TDI Exec
fincher is online now  
post #73 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default

Hi
I am also considering getting extended warranty for my 2015 macan with 16,000 miles on it. I just got off the phone with the dealer and he quoted me a warranty with Porsche, $100 deductible 5 years/60,000 miles for $4579. they also had another warranty called red shield that was $5330 for 5 years/60,000 miles. Is this different from fidelity or has anyone had any experience getting a porsche direct extended warranty? Thanks.
mrvc25 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #74 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 5,303
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)
Default

There is no Porsche extended warranty in the US. The red shield one sounds similar to the Fidelity Platinum plan.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
jzwu is offline  
post #75 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 PM
Senior Member
 
kennethw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
Now the question is how the extended warranty will help you if all they do is try to deny any coverage.

My insurance experience including car and home insurance has been pretty dismal. Never got my initial premiums back, actually far from it, let alone making $ out of them.

The only advantage about extended warranty is against potential big risks of major component breakdown. However, if the insurance companies are sleazy what's the point of getting it in the first place?
Mine is from Porsche as "New Car Warranty Extension", so not via an insurance company (just got it done today). If they continue to service me like they have since I got my Macan, all is good. I have to say that the dealership that I go it has been above-and-beyond.
kennethw is offline  
post #76 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Stack24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw View Post
Mine is from Porsche as "New Car Warranty Extension", so not via an insurance company (just got it done today). If they continue to service me like they have since I got my Macan, all is good. I have to say that the dealership that I go it has been above-and-beyond.


So this might be the thing that the dealership I was dealing with was offering me. And I explained earlier.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 White GTS
Stack24 is offline  
post #77 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
macanS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,247
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Default

This is the only “Porsche Sanctioned” extended warranty. And as with ALL warranties it is covered by a third party company, in this case Safe-Guard out of Florida.
https://files1.porsche.com/filestore...s-brochure.pdf
I got this warranty from my dealer, Platinum level, $100 deductible/$0 after one year. At the time, my 2015 S’s waranty was to expire in a few weeks, this past July. Price: $4k, 3 years added to my expiring 4 year factory warranty or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.
I am a low mileage driver and had under 23k miles at purchase. Similar terms for Fidelity, which was slightly cheaper and readily accepted at my dealer. This was my SA’s first sale of this “Porsche branded” warranty. So maybe it’s a crap shoot, but I felt better that for a few hundred bucks more it said Porsche Protection Plan at the top of the contract. Less hassle with claims later?, we’ll see, but my tranny was replaced under factory warranty to a tune of $17k and I’m not taking any chances.
DONT BUY UNTIL YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE or you’re about to hit 25k miles, it’s all back timed from delivery date anyway (my contract says 84 months, ie: 7 years, but the car was 48 months old at time of purchase and my coverage is for 3 more years past factory, 48+36=84.... Now if you are a high mileage driver and expect to put 30k on the odo in the first year, CONSIDER THIS: prices do go up after 25k miles AND after the first of the new year. So if your 3 years in on your car and pushing 25k on the odo, start looking around. I was going to go with Fidelity at first as I said at the top, since it’s the company my dealer regularly uses (shall I go so far as to say “sanctions”?) but the “Porsche snob” in me said pay a little more for the badge
Since I didn’t order the embossed crest on the headrest, I had plenty of money laying around for the more expensive warranty.... hope this helps and safe driving.
Jshore, gradyex and wspollack like this.

2015 Macan S: Rhodium Silver on Black
macanS is offline  
post #78 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Stack24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macanS View Post
This is the only “Porsche Sanctioned” extended warranty. And as with ALL warranties it is covered by a third party company, in this case Safe-Guard out of Florida.

https://files1.porsche.com/filestore...s-brochure.pdf

I got this warranty from my dealer, Platinum level, $100 deductible/$0 after one year. At the time, my 2015 S’s waranty was to expire in a few weeks, this past July. Price: $4k, 3 years added to my expiring 4 year factory warranty or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I am a low mileage driver and had under 23k miles at purchase. Similar terms for Fidelity, which was slightly cheaper and readily accepted at my dealer. This was my SA’s first sale of this “Porsche branded” warranty. So maybe it’s a crap shoot, but I felt better that for a few hundred bucks more it said Porsche Protection Plan at the top of the contract. Less hassle with claims later?, we’ll see, but my tranny was replaced under factory warranty to a tune of $17k and I’m not taking any chances.

DONT BUY UNTIL YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE or you’re about to hit 25k miles, it’s all back timed from delivery date anyway (my contract says 84 months, ie: 7 years, but the car was 48 months old at time of purchase and my coverage is for 3 more years past factory, 48+36=84.... Now if you are a high mileage driver and expect to put 30k on the odo in the first year, CONSIDER THIS: prices do go up after 25k miles AND after the first of the new year. So if your 3 years in on your car and pushing 25k on the odo, start looking around. I was going to go with Fidelity at first as I said at the top, since it’s the company my dealer regularly uses (shall I go so far as to say “sanctions”?) but the “Porsche snob” in me said pay a little more for the badge

Since I didn’t order the embossed crest on the headrest, I had plenty of money laying around for the more expensive warranty.... hope this helps and safe driving.


Appreciate the pamphlet. I think this is what my contact at the dealership was talking about because everything sounds the same. Finally a bit more clarity for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
macanS likes this.

2017 White GTS
Stack24 is offline  
post #79 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,233
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Default

I of course agree with you @RidgeRunner0207 the mark up on those warranties are ridiculous. I politely told the F and I guy that I would think about it. Yeah right. Since I just got a new transfer case under the factory warranty and I only put on 8k miles or so per year I'm probably not going for an extended warranty.

2015 Macan S in rhodium silver, black 14 ways,PASM, LCA, LKA,ACC,3 zone, smokers pkg (non smoker),comfort lights, trailer hitch, entertainment, premium pkg., 19" AS Michelins, 19" Turbo wheels.
Jshore is offline  
post #80 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
kennethw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack24 View Post
So this might be the thing that the dealership I was dealing with was offering me. And I explained earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macanS View Post
This is the only “Porsche Sanctioned” extended warranty. And as with ALL warranties it is covered by a third party company, in this case Safe-Guard out of Florida.
Just to clarify, I'm in Canada, so things might be a little different. The "New Car Extended Warranty" I got from the dealer does not mention any third parties and there is no deductible. It is listed as "CPO Pre-Owned Certified" with a Porsche sticker.

The condition to get this 'extended warranty' was that the current warranty was not expired both in terms of time and mileage, also subject to a CPO inspection and the car in full stock like new specification; everything including tyre thead depth and brake pad thickness, they even went to the extent of checking all the 12V points and they found one 20A fuse blown and had to replace it, and even the key battery. If I had bought the "New Car Extended Warranty" before the car was 6 months old, it didn't need to go through the full CPO inspection.

It is a two year extension starting when the original warranty expires with no mileage limit. Also, there seems to be the option of extending it again, but there are some conditions that the dealer 'tried' to explain to me, but I wasn't listening too hard; things like if I sold the car to a non-Porsche dealer, the warranty does not carry over, so the subsequent non-Porsche dealer cannot sell it as CPO.

Here's the Canadian version ... click here
kennethw is offline  
Reply




Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome