64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #51 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbar Hoad View Post
Grandpa Davey a.k.a. Dave Ramsey claims that statistical probability of failure is 12% (cars, PCs, A/C units). So according to him buying extended service contracts is a waste of money to begin with.
I didn't get extended warranty for my previous 997.1 and traded it in when it was 8 years old. Other than the potential IMS problem which would have been very expensive to 'repair', it was 100% reliable.

However, with the Macan, my neighbour recently commented that he keeps seeing loaner cars in my driveway. So best to buy extended warranty for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage

I mentioned it in passing in one of my posts. Has anyone ever purchased the warranty that's directly from Porsche that is based on the in service date so essentially you get like a 2-3 year extension almost like CPO to your car? One of the Porsche dealerships I was talking to offered it and stated this is not a Fidelity one and it's tied to the VIN number and starts with in Service and it's the one that they would give on a new car from Porsche and you go to any dealer because it's in the system.

The prices are around the same as Fidelity when you look at the years and miles, but the date starts at in service so you really are paying a lot more since it's essentially a lot less years. (6 years actually being 2 more years after factory)

2017 White GTS
post #53 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw View Post
I didn't get extended warranty for my previous 997.1 and traded it in when it was 8 years old. Other than the potential IMS problem which would have been very expensive to 'repair', it was 100% reliable.

However, with the Macan, my neighbour recently commented that he keeps seeing loaner cars in my driveway. So best to buy extended warranty for me.
Now the question is how the extended warranty will help you if all they do is try to deny any coverage.

My insurance experience including car and home insurance has been pretty dismal. Never got my initial premiums back, actually far from it, let alone making $ out of them.

The only advantage about extended warranty is against potential big risks of major component breakdown. However, if the insurance companies are sleazy what's the point of getting it in the first place?
RidgeRunner0207 likes this.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshore View Post
I think if one has a good relationship and is loyal to their dealer with service,etc, then maybe some repairs could be partially good willed.
I hope I'm not being too naive about that.
I would say if you want to be loyal to someone, try your indy first. They will save you big money on maintenance today, and post warranty repairs tomorrow. Probably more likely to get a goodwill repair there, and more than likely you will get more personalized service.

My experience with car dealers, including Porsche dealers, is that there's no such thing as a relationship as dealerships are often bought and sold, and sales, service people, and managers come and go regularly.

I know some here claim that they have great relationships with their dealers, but unfortunately I don't think that's the norm. Or you may think you have a great relationship, and it turns out the dealer is actually screwing you behind your back.
post #55 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Default Concord; Fidelity; Risk

Concord:

@Andre Soares , thanks for the recommendation.

I filled out the get-a-quote info at their web site, https://www.concordautoprotect.com/, this morning. A few minutes later, I was phoned by one of their reps, Harry Collins.

After a discussion, he proposed (and sent in an email, while we were talking) for our Macan S a Premium policy, with $500 deductible, with a coverage of 5 years or 100,000 miles, for $2,500. This coverage period, he stated, starts at the conclusion of the factory warranty (and until that time, yes, they will have use of our money, and we get bubkis). In our case, that would be a start of about two years from now: we've had the car, since new, for about 15 months now, with about 20,500 miles, so I figure in just about two more years we'll hit the 50,000 mark.

He was pretty insistent, and threw in a few more miles, some minor extras, and $100 off for veteran/AARP/senior qualification(s?), but I said that I wasn't ready just yet, and told him he could call me on Monday.

Concord's contact form is at https://www.concordautoprotect.com/, the coverage summary page is https://www.concordautoprotect.com/protection-plans/, and the policy page is https://www.concordautoprotect.com/service-agreement/. This is, he stated, a 30-day full-refund period.

I'll do some searching for reviews, but so far it sounds good to me.

Fidelity:

@kcrunch , thanks for the email address for Troy.

Like @jzwu , I sent an email to him on 1/7, asking for quotes, per a brief description of my preferences; unlike @jzwu , I haven't heard anything back yet.

I have read some dissatisfied reviews of Fidelity, but, you know, the 'net tends to magnify bad experiences, so you have to take that with a grain or two of salt; as Abraham Lincoln said, "You can't believe everything you read on the internet." But Fidelity seems more expensive than, say, Concord, regardless.

Rationale:

I think @Shark summed it up nicely (post #43 ), re "it depends." Beside putting c. 17,000 miles per year on a car, my wife and I tend to keep a car for a decade or so. (And, possibly relevant, I financed about half of the car, for five years at 2.9%.)

We've never purchased an extended warranty before for a car, and we're talking half a century of car buying. But neither have we ever purchased a car this expensive before, nor with such expensive components as the PDK, transfer case, or engine. When, as I estimated above, our warranty runs out in a couple years, and if we were to need a new engine, or transmission, or transfer case, I can't see spending more on a car than, say, its book value at the time (which would be pretty low, given our likely mileage). We would probably be able to afford expensive repairs, but would we want to, would it be prudent, etc.?

I have very high uninsured/underinsured coverage on my auto and bike policies, as an example, and hopefully I will never need those. And I have an umbrella policy, in addition to home-owner's; same hopes. But that's the whole point of insurance (above any minimum statutory requirements), i.e., to minimize risks and to cover eventualities.

As I said, I've never had an add-on car policy, but I'm seriously thinking about one now.
jzwu and Stack24 like this.

Cheers,

Bill P.

2018 Macan S (Delivered at PEC in October 2017, gallery at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #56 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:39 PM

I think you have time to wait and see since you still have 2 years of factory warranty left.

Per my analysis, buying extended warranty early doesn't save you money in any significant way.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #57 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
I think you have time to wait and see since you still have 2 years of factory warranty left.

Per my analysis, buying extended warranty early doesn't save you money in any significant way.
That's an interesting supposition. I don't know how I could get a straight answer from a sales person, on what the best guess of the cost, if I called back in two years. I suppose I could ask, "What would my cost be, right now, for the same deductible and coverage, if I had a 2016 Macan S with 48,000 miles on it." That would be analogous to my situation in two years, right?

I seem to recall reading in threads here that Fidelity jumps up when you pass 25,000 miles, so that sort of thing was my impetus for trying to get this over with. And I don't really mind losing use of $2,500 for two years, if that's what it takes to save hundreds vs. some policies from other companies. It's not as if I would put that money in stocks and make thousands off of it, so it seems a reasonable trade-off.

Thanks for the suggestion and analysis, though. I'll at least bring up the subject on Monday (but I don't expect I'll get very far).

Cheers,

Bill P.

2018 Macan S (Delivered at PEC in October 2017, gallery at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #58 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:26 PM

Just ask your wife or your friend to request a quote in-the-future, i.e., add 2 years and whatever miles to your car now. LOL
wspollack likes this.

post #59 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspollack View Post
Concord:

@Andre Soares , thanks for the recommendation.

I filled out the get-a-quote info at their web site, https://www.concordautoprotect.com/, this morning. A few minutes later, I was phoned by one of their reps, Harry Collins.

After a discussion, he proposed (and sent in an email, while we were talking) for our Macan S a Premium policy, with $500 deductible, with a coverage of 5 years or 100,000 miles, for $2,500. This coverage period, he stated, starts at the conclusion of the factory warranty (and until that time, yes, they will have use of our money, and we get bubkis). In our case, that would be a start of about two years from now: we've had the car, since new, for about 15 months now, with about 20,500 miles, so I figure in just about two more years we'll hit the 50,000 mark.

He was pretty insistent, and threw in a few more miles, some minor extras, and $100 off for veteran/AARP/senior qualification(s?), but I said that I wasn't ready just yet, and told him he could call me on Monday.

Concord's contact form is at https://www.concordautoprotect.com/, the coverage summary page is https://www.concordautoprotect.com/protection-plans/, and the policy page is https://www.concordautoprotect.com/service-agreement/. This is, he stated, a 30-day full-refund period.

I'll do some searching for reviews, but so far it sounds good to me.
My contact was Donald Berman ([email protected]) (888) 399-2811 ext. 803 and you're right that it starts after original warranty is over. I signed my extended warranty one month prior to my original expired, so I waited to the very last minute. And they brought it down a good amount for me while negotiating. I started at 3yrs, but he was pushing for 4yrs. At the end, we got the 4yrs below what he initially quoted me for 3yrs, and I had used Fidelity quote to help me on that, as it was lower.

As to what @jzwu mentioned about a local PA company, if you search, you will see reviews, on Consumer Affairs sites and others, from all over the country. Sometimes the small guy is trying to grow their business in a legit way, better than the big national companies that are trying to make some profit. So I decided to give a try to these with good reviews, than Fidelity that I all heard so far was negative (online and offline).
wspollack likes this.

Andre Soares
2015 Macan Turbo, Jet Black
post #60 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:28 PM

Ok, fair enough.

Does Concord do business in other states, e.g., CA? Some regional companies only operate in a limited area.