• 1 Post By wkndbox
  • 2 Post By Masscan

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3346 Post(s)
Default The new PCCB on a Cayenne Turbo

I got a nail in the tire and when there to pick up my car I noticed a Cayenne Turbo. This is the new PCCB offered . It is my understanding it costs a bit less than then yellow version and are a bit less expensive to maintain . This is just informal chat that I had and it was not with my usual folks that I chat with (so don't hold me to accuracy on it). I did take a photo . They are actually quite beautiful . They are large and look like a silver glass .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1856.jpg (56.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1855.jpg (70.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1854.jpg (59.0 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

I believe the new Cayenne Turbo has the new Porsche Surface Coated Brake (PSCB) versus the current Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB). PSCB's surface consists of tungsten carbide (chemical formula: WC). Tungsten and carbon form a mixed crystal so hard that it can be used to cut glass. Tungsten carbide is one of the hardest materials in the world after diamond, and around ten times harder than gray cast iron—which is precisely what makes it so interesting to brake engineers.

Take a look at the following link:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/chri...ach-14589.html
yrralis1 likes this.

WKNDBOX

'16 Porsche Macan S, Agate Grey Metallic
'14 Porsche Cayenne, Black
'98 Porsche Boxster, Arctic Silver Metallic
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Quoted: 3346 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndbox View Post
I believe the new Cayenne Turbo has the new Porsche Surface Coated Brake (PSCB) versus the current Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB). PSCB's surface consists of tungsten carbide (chemical formula: WC). Tungsten and carbon form a mixed crystal so hard that it can be used to cut glass. Tungsten carbide is one of the hardest materials in the world after diamond, and around ten times harder than gray cast iron—which is precisely what makes it so interesting to brake engineers.

Take a look at the following link:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/chri...ach-14589.html
Thanks for the link . With the dramatic changes in Porsches engine philosophy its nice to see something new which looks very appealing . I liked the way the brakes looked on that Cayenne .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)

I know this has been stated before many times, but the rear end of the new Porsche Cayenne is just terrible...it doesn't even look like a Porsche's anymore from the rear. That generic light bar is horrible, and makes the Cayenne look like a bunch of other SUVs on the roads today.

TD Pcar and Invictus like this.

2018 Macan GTS - Agate Grey, PTV+, Sport Chrono Pkg., LED Headlights, Std. Black Leather Pkg., Premium Pkg. Plus, LCA, Adaptive Sport 18-Way Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Black Brushed Aluminum Pkg., Porsche Connect, Smoking Pkg., Black Roof Rails, Trailer Hitch, CravenSpeed Platypus License Plate Mount, Window Switch Trim, 35% Tint on Front Windows, Standard PPF
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1284 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
I got a nail in the tire and when there to pick up my car I noticed a Cayenne Turbo. This is the new PCCB offered . .
The others are right, not PCCB. PCCB appears to have fallen out of favor. The much touted benefits of less unsprung weight for tracking falls prey to the cost of replacement. From the horses mouth, Porsche: https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/for...brakes-porsche

The short story is PCCB was touted as lasting the life of the car - not. VERY expensive to replace. Now sold as just a way to not have to clean the brake dust.

Interesting huh?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)

Wonder if we will see this as an optional brake upgrade for Macan in the future.
I would buy it !

2016 M T
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)

I think these might be a very viable braking alternative in terms of cost and performance. You don't get the weight savings of carbon ceramics, unfortunately.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 1082 Post(s)

I could not agree more and shared my thoughts on this topic in another post. It feels like Porsche hired interns from the design team at Lincoln and Dodge and since they had to show they were doing something they proposed to change the rear of all Porsche cars. That is the result there. A totally unnecessary change. A beautiful rear that needed no change but they did for the sake of changing something. I am still in no need to wear glasses to drive but every time I see a light bar on a car in front of me from a distance I never know if it is a Lincoln, a Dodge or ....... a Porsche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masscan View Post
I know this has been stated before many times, but the rear end of the new Porsche Cayenne is just terrible...it doesn't even look like a Porsche's anymore from the rear. That generic light bar is horrible, and makes the Cayenne look like a bunch of other SUVs on the roads today.

Delivered on 02/11/2015: Macan S Agate Gray | Black Int w/carbon fiber | 20" RS with colored crest cap | 14-way Seats | PASM/AS | Prem+ | High Gloss Trim | Rear Fascia and Side Blades painted | Park Assist/cam | Heated Steering Wheel | LCA | 3-Zone | Smoking Pkg | Comfort Lighting |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.