70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3346 Post(s)
Default In the rumor mill

A little birdie shared the following :

1) there is a stop production on 718's . The next ones will be EV or if not close enough to it .

2)Current inventory 718 GTS cars are being discounted big time. If you love the current 718 GTS this is the time to buy it .

3) 992 cars will quickly move in the direction of hybrid . In fact the S and and 4S being released are equipped to embrace the hybrid components

4) The last Ice car expected is a Gt4 Cayman . This might be a collector car (just my opinion) .

5) A Macan GTS.2 is not anticipated . A Turbo is a real possibility next year.

6) Disclaimer .. the above are not absolutes but are worth keeping in mind .

It's (EV cars ) happening .
The Taycan is expected soon .

So................... Not much more to say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)

Glad I have a 2017 ICE Macan GTS and a 2019 ICE 718 GTS Boxster.

I will not embrace EV anytime soon, I have a 2019 Diesel Denali and a 2009 Corvette and just ordered a 2019 Corvette Convertible 650HP.

I do not think the infrastructure is in place to allow this transition this soon, IMHO this is going to hurt Porsche big time in sales.

The used car market just got 25% stronger IMHO>

What a shame.............
mstraka likes this.

2017 Macan GTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2019 Boxster GTS - Atlanta PEC Delivery ON 12/12/2018

2019 GMC Denali 2500HD L5P Diesel
2009 Corvette/ZR1-3ZR Atomic Orange - 1 of 35 made
2013/427/Convertible Corvette-60th Anniversary

2014 Harley Davidson CVO Breakout - 110 cid
1968 Chevelle Malibu - Work in Progress
2016 GMC Denali 2500HD Diesel - SOLD
2015 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited - 103 cid SOLD
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner0207 View Post
Glad I have a 2017 ICE Macan GTS and a 2019 ICE 718 GTS Boxster.

I will not embrace EV anytime soon, I have a 2019 Diesel Denali and a 2009 Corvette and just ordered a 2019 Corvette Convertible 650HP.

I do not think the infrastructure is in place to allow this transition this soon, IMHO this is going to hurt Porsche big time in sales.

The used car market just got 25% stronger IMHO>

What a shame.............

Me too. Not that I have anything against EV; I embrace the changes.... but MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE is still combustion and exhaust notes. One of my favorite memories forever etched into my neural network? The smell of race fuel and motorcycles (Iím sure cars are the same) at the track as the sun rises... it makes the hair on my arms stand up just writing those words. Just kinda stinks to think that one day, kids will never know what that is like. Ah well, such is life I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1284 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post

1) there is a stop production on 718's . The next ones will be EV or if not close enough to it .

2)Current inventory 718 GTS cars are being discounted big time. If you love the current 718 GTS this is the time to buy it .

3) 992 cars will quickly move in the direction of hybrid . In fact the S and and 4S being released are equipped to embrace the hybrid components

4) The last Ice car expected is a Gt4 Cayman . This might be a collector car (just my opinion) .

5) A Macan GTS.2 is not anticipated . A Turbo is a real possibility next year.

6) Disclaimer .. the above are not absolutes but are worth keeping in mind .

It's (EV cars ) happening .
The Taycan is expected soon .
Agree

1) I have not heard about the stop order but the rest is true. Autocar has good resources, usually Porsche itself https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...and-ev-options

EV prototypes are running. But here is the key point: EVs under PPE architecture. Hybrids under old 718. Both sold at the same time like the EV Macan. Notice both the EV 718 and the Macan are both under the same PPE architecture. That's seems to be new.

2.) Don't know anything about that.

3.) Confirmed. P. 11 of the 2018 Porsche Annual Report. 992 is hybrid read.
Confirmed per sources 718 moving to the same 992 concept for hybrids. In other words, the EVs will be under the PPE architecture while the co-existing hybrids running the old, but updated body styles to handle the hybrid engine. Thats why this seems to say.

4). I kind of doubt that. I expect it will be a 911. That could be the dealer working up sales - Come buy this! End of an era! But maybe or maybe not.

5.) What would be the point of it? Why have four trim levels (base, S, GTS, and Turbo) AND EV when the whole point is to wean the buyers away from ICE. This sounds reasonable.

6.) EVs. For those that don't believe it, read the press release. Its now old news. https://newsroom.porsche.com/fallbac...iew-17185.html Since Porsche is just one brand of VAG, VAG is going to get big fines on top of their already massive dieselgate fines if they can't get their numbers down.

Yeah, all seems reasonable although the GT4 things sounds shaky to me.

BTW, you might want to read Rennteam 2.0 - EN - Forum - - Page1 First I heard about this is there is any truth to it.
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Quoted: 3346 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
Agree

5.) What would be the point of it? Why have four trim levels (base, S, GTS, and Turbo) AND EV when the whole point is to wean the buyers away from ICE. This sounds reasonable.

I feel displaced . I agree with you. Yet we are not in EV entirely and even when it happens the evolution process won't be like with ICE cars . My guess is that it will be faster because Porsche will make mistakes . In fact look at the biggest complaints at present : 1) Tech glitches and 2) quality control . Electric cars rely on modern tech and 100K Porsches just don't mix. Calling it "Mission E" does nothing except aggrandize their hopes . So does Porsche plan to, outrun Corvettes and Vipers at the ring in this modern golf cart ? And can they pull 4 year 50K warranty and retool every shop ? The way I see it .. they have to "wean" because an overnight change would be drastic.

In the meantime ... we (the buyer) are in limbo . The cars are changing. We know where they are headed . Anything made now becomes an expensive pacifier because its not what they REALLY want to shove to us.

SO.... LIMBO .
Louie Zoi likes this.
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I feel displaced . I agree with you. Yet we are not in EV entirely and even when it happens the evolution process won't be like with ICE cars . My guess is that it will be faster because Porsche will make mistakes . In fact look at the biggest complaints at present : 1) Tech glitches and 2) quality control . Electric cars rely on modern tech and 100K Porsches just don't mix. Calling it "Mission E" does nothing except aggrandize their hopes . So does Porsche plan to, outrun Corvettes and Vipers at the ring in this modern golf cart ? And can they pull 4 year 50K warranty and retool every shop ? The way I see it .. they have to "wean" because an overnight change would be drastic.

In the meantime ... we (the buyer) are in limbo . The cars are changing. We know where they are headed . Anything made now becomes an expensive pacifier because its not what they REALLY want to shove to us.

SO.... LIMBO .

The new 2019 ZR1 is 755HP, all forged internals, its an absolute monster.

My new 2019 Z06 is a 650HP car, its a monster as well.

A true enthusiast that wants the exhaust note, the freedom and range to drive Rt. 66 or go anywhere in their ICE Powered car or truck is not easily going to embrace anything EV.

My wife has a close friend who got rid of her TESLA due to lack of EV Stations or she had to take a different route ( often times longer ) to stop and charge the batteries up, due to lack of EV infrastructure.

I can see a world with aggravated EV Drivers being late everywhere because they can't fill up in 5 mins and have to wait 5 hours to charge up with a 220 home plug or 24 hours with a 110 trickle charger.

Then we have to get past the super high expense of the batteries when needing a replacement...........

Its all pie in the sky nonsense, I am 50, I bet when I am 70 EV is still struggling to be popular, and anyone who is a politician its a third rail to screw with someones vehicle and their freedom to drive !!!

2017 Macan GTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)

Quote:

Its all pie in the sky nonsense, I am 50, I bet when I am 70 EV is still struggling to be popular, and anyone who is a politician its a third rail to screw with someones vehicle and their freedom to drive !!!
I'll take that bet.

Every year the charging infrastructure gets larger, charging times diminish, ranges increase, and more & more companies keep jumping on the EV bandwagon with improved vehicles, more efficient batteries, and higher rate chargers. In 20 years, vehicle charging stations will be common place in new homes. Today technology exists for wireless induction units that can be built right in the driveway...cordless charging like a cell phone.

https://www.fleetcarma.com/soon-wire...arging-coming/

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/28/busin...ons/index.html

Compare for instance the evolution we have experienced with ICE vehicles over the past 20 years. The EV environment with improve at even a faster rate.

2018 Macan GTS - Agate Grey, PTV+, Sport Chrono Pkg., LED Headlights, Std. Black Leather Pkg., Premium Pkg. Plus, LCA, Adaptive Sport 18-Way Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Black Brushed Aluminum Pkg., Porsche Connect, Smoking Pkg., Black Roof Rails, Trailer Hitch, CravenSpeed Platypus License Plate Mount, Window Switch Trim, 35% Tint on Front Windows, Standard PPF
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masscan View Post
I'll take that bet.

Every year the charging infrastructure gets larger, charging times diminish, ranges increase, and more & more companies keep jumping on the EV bandwagon with improved vehicles, more efficient batteries, and higher rate chargers. In 20 years, vehicle charging stations will be common place in new homes. Today technology exists for wireless induction units that can be built right in the driveway...cordless charging like a cell phone.

https://www.fleetcarma.com/soon-wire...arging-coming/

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/28/busin...ons/index.html

Compare for instance the evolution we have experienced with ICE vehicles over the past 20 years. The EV environment with improve at even a faster rate.

LOL, tell that to the farmer in the midwest and the guy in South Dakota who has an EV @ -20 and it range is 25% of what it is at 70 degrees.

Convince the purist that not hearing an engine or listening to the sound it makes is going to pacify that person.

Try eliminating the hundreds of millions of ICE Vehicles that people love and cherish, and watch the peasants rise up with their pitchforks and torches against that decision.

Again, you are free to embrace that technology, I am hopeful that in the next 25 years it stays 10% or less of the market, where certain segments of society that want that can have it and the rest of us are left alone to drive ICE Vehicles.

Too bad that TESLA's free wireless energy was bottled up and throw in a deep dark hole by the FEDS and the Oil Companies, you cannot have free anything, if its not taxed, regulated and befitting the political class and the globalists then its deemed illegal or unwanted and shelved for all eternity.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lith...ronment-impact

2017 Macan GTS

post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)

Quote:

LOL, tell that to the farmer in the midwest and the guy in South Dakota who has an EV @ -20 and it range is 25% of what it is at 70 degrees.
If EV ranges keep improving to the point where charging time in minimal and range is greater than the average ICE vehicle, the change in range due to temperature will be less of an issue.

Quote:
Convince the purist that not hearing an engine or listening to the sound it makes is going to pacify that person.
This won't be an issue for the future generations who grow up with electric vehicles.

Quote:
Try eliminating the hundreds of millions of ICE Vehicles that people love and cherish, and watch the peasants rise up with their pitchforks and torches against that decision.
In time ICE vehicles will just slowly fade away and be less economically feasible for the general public like other outdated technology.

2018 Macan GTS - Agate Grey, PTV+, Sport Chrono Pkg., LED Headlights, Std. Black Leather Pkg., Premium Pkg. Plus, LCA, Adaptive Sport 18-Way Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Black Brushed Aluminum Pkg., Porsche Connect, Smoking Pkg., Black Roof Rails, Trailer Hitch, CravenSpeed Platypus License Plate Mount, Window Switch Trim, 35% Tint on Front Windows, Standard PPF
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:

Can you quantify this in terms of % off of MSRP? I've heard these cars were trading at 11-12% below for a long while now. Are you now suggesting I should expect 17-18%, or even better, more?! I wonder what this will do to the used market.
Louie Zoi likes this.

'17 GTS Night Blue over black leather with most of the toys I wanted in and out