Suppose the car of ones dream turns out to be a lemon ? - Page 2 - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:07 PM
mbr

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)

We have owned two Audis, a 1999 A6 Avant and a 2017 Q7 and both had a lot of problems. Also had a bad 1997 Jetta GLX and 2006 X5. My 5 other VW’s, 7 other BMW’s, 2 Fords and 5 Porsches (minus the common minor early launch 2015 Macan problems) have been as reliable as expected (I dont expect Toyota/Lexus reliability with German cars)

2017 991.2 Carrera 4S - GT Silver Metallic. Black/Bordeaux Red. Sport Package. PDK. PASM. PP+. ACC. LCA. FAL. 18-Way Seats. Bose. 20" Carrera Sport Wheels

1997 993 Carrera Cabriolet - Black. Cashmere Beige/Black. 6 speed manual. 17" Cup 2 Wheels

2019 Cayenne Base. Jet Black Metallic. Black/Mojave Beige. PP+. Surround View. Bose. 21" Spyder Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr View Post
. Also had a bad 1997 Jetta GLX
I had a brief tango dance with a 2001 Jetta . An old girlfriend (who later became an ex wife ) had an old car but loved the Jetta . 350 a month leased it. It seemed harmless . She looked so happy. From the day we drove it off it was problems galore . One issue had VW claiming it was the tires and Michelin claiming it was VW . I got BOTH of them to comp the work . It ended up to be VW . 8 months later new things arose . She and i were getting closer too . One Sunday we decided to go to breakfast and the car did not start . That did it! After multiple attempts I decided that if I could start that car it was going to be on the way to a BMW 3 series . Upside down in the lease and i just shrugged it off to have peace with a car. That's where it went . Two years later we split up. She drove that BMW into her new life and I was ready for mine too. As for the Jetta ? That's the car that started the little story above.
mbr likes this.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)

This is funny @yrralis1 - I bought a used Alpha Spider Veloce in the summer of 1980 or there of (couldn't remember the exact date since so long ago). The next day after giving it a wash, I opened the manual top and went for a drive. It was a great afternoon, nice n' sunny as I remembered. After I got back home, I tried to put the top up but it had shrunk during the drive and wouldn't latch, even with my dad's help ! I don't even remember now if I had tested the operation of the top before buying, may be I did but it didn't matter - I took it right back to the dealer and demanded a reversal of the sales agreement. No more Alpha for me!

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, SSK, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner0207 View Post
In all the years I had one vehicle that was a mess, a 1993 FORD SHO Taurus.
I bought a Tarus station wagon to pull a Flying Scot sailboat. It was a piece of junk. (The car. Not the sailboat.)

Over the years I have had 9 Porsches. I've never had a problem. I can't say that for some of the Audis that my wife and I have had. Our latest Mercedes is a piece of junk. I've owned several BMW cars and quite a few BMW motorcycles. They were all problem free.

2018 Porsche Macan Sport Edition Black
2017 Triumph Bobber Black
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwahl View Post
It happened to me with Ducati. The first was an ST-4 and the second was a 1098. I still have an ST-4s, which is what I negotiated for with the ST-4 turn back.
I had a Ducati Paul Smart. The fuel tank kept expanding. The four other Ducatis that I had were great. Especially the Monster S4R. I wish I still had that bike.

2018 Porsche Macan Sport Edition Black
2017 Triumph Bobber Black
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

So far the car I've kept the longest (5 yrs) was my 2011 335xi, which turned out to be a solid CPO purchase throughout the warranty period. But once it hit 60k miles I had to replace the coolant tank, oil pan gasket, water pump, and battery in the same year.
Granted these are all common issues with the car, and otherwise it ran very well but lucky for me the wife got tired of it and 'forced' me to trade it in for a 2016 Macan turbo.
Happy wife, happy life right?
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
I recently bought a fireplace poker. Some of the reviews were critical. Some were good. Complaints were about the head never getting really tight. I ignored the reviews because "the price was right". I guess you get what you pay for. The poker is junk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
A 'lemon poker'? Now I've heard it all.
Apologies for being slightly off topic - but I got a big laugh out of this! First I never imagined anyone did research before buying a fireplace poker - and people actually reviewed fireplace pokers online. And Hokie's post made me laugh again. Thanks for lightening up my day.
Hokie likes this.

2018 Porsche Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Sports Chrono, and lots of nice options.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
If you think i have the answer here .. I dont. I am just curious to hear how one might go about the next step after the car is gone . What is the threshold before one says "never again".
Interesting post. I'm lucky in that I never had the misfortune of owning a lemon.

But the idea of someone buying a "dream car" struck a cord. Or buying a "dream house" or "dream" anything. We all have mental images of what a dream car would be. However, most people never get to buy the dream car. Or even drive the dream car. Years ago my dream car was an Aston Martin Vantage. I imagined how awesome it would look parked in my garage, and how special it would be to drive. After many years of lusting over one, I went to the local dealer for a test drive. And - what a huge disappointment. It didn't drive or handle especially well, and the sportshift transmission was probably the worst transmission I ever drove. Dream crushed!

And I'll spare everyone the details of the dream girl I wanted back in HS.

2018 Porsche Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Sports Chrono, and lots of nice options.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 1689 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSA7 View Post
Apologies for being slightly off topic - but I got a big laugh out of this! First I never imagined anyone did research before buying a fireplace poker - and people actually reviewed fireplace pokers online. And Hokie's post made me laugh again. Thanks for lightening up my day.
You need to go on Amazon and read the reviews for the remote control cockroach...

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1318 Post(s)
Quoted: 3615 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSA7 View Post

Really? You just buy something off Amazon and not read the reviews? Now you know

Also try fake spot. You won't believe how fake some of the reviews are and what people complain about.
Hokie likes this.