Road flares - Porsche Macan Forum
View Poll Results: What kind of road flares do you keep in your car?
Old kind, strike red burning sticks 4 13.33%
LED using Akaline batteries 3 10.00%
LED using lithium batteries 0 0%
None 23 76.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1318 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3615 Post(s)
Default Road flares

What road flares do you keep in your car?

None? Old fashioned strike cap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:04 PM
mbr

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
What road flares do you keep in your car?

None? Old fashioned strike cap?
Same old fashioned sulfur ones that I have in my tool kit that has been in every car I have owned since I turned 16 in 1989. Never used them. Not sure if they would even work anymore!

2017 991.2 Carrera 4S - GT Silver Metallic. Black/Bordeaux Red. Sport Package. PDK. PASM. PP+. ACC. LCA. FAL. 18-Way Seats. Bose. 20" Carrera Sport Wheels

1997 993 Carrera Cabriolet - Black. Cashmere Beige/Black. 6 speed manual. 17" Cup 2 Wheels

2019 Cayenne Base. Jet Black Metallic. Black/Mojave Beige. PP+. Surround View. Bose. 21" Spyder Wheels
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)

Magnatek Red LED Beacons

I had carried the old sulphur for many years but decided to upgrade with my Macan.

Luckily, have not had to use. I tested when I 1st bought them.

This thread reminded me I should pull them out & test them 1x/yr or I will be carrying dead battery holders

2016 Macan Turbo | Sapphire Blue Metallic | agate grey middle leather pkg| 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | F&R SS skid plates | premium pkg plus| 18-way seats | A.S. wi PASM | PTV Plus| 3-zone | dark walnut | NO smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | wheel centers wi full color Porsche Logo |nano tinted windows |PPF
2019 Carrera 2S
2000 Jaguar XJ8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Garage

I do keep a couple of glow sticks but I should probably add a couple of flares for 'just in case'

2015 Macan S Daily smiles since 5/16/2014
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)

This is a great question. As usual I am learning something new each and every day from this group.

My honest answer right now is none, but thanks to amazon prime, I will have a set of 4 LED disks for both cars by Tuesday.

Just recently in my city a man was killed when he got out of his car, and another car didnt see his car broken down at night. I wonder if he had some kind of warning light the other driver would have seen him and this might have been avoided. But like all cities my city has its share of idiot drivers.

Police: Driver who got out of car on I-26 ramp killed in crash, impact forced fall over barrier

2018 Carmine Red GTS Delivered 2/1/18 at PEC Atlanta, delivery # 535

With all of the wonderfulness you can get on a Macan, but missing a couple things I should have gotten.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Moonlight Blue Audi S5 convertible with a red top

Prestige Package and all options you can get
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:50 AM
mbr

My only concern with battery operated flares is that the battery will be dead when/if you actually need them. My 30 year old sulfur flares should still work (i think)

2017 991.2 Carrera 4S - GT Silver Metallic. Black/Bordeaux Red. Sport Package. PDK. PASM. PP+. ACC. LCA. FAL. 18-Way Seats. Bose. 20" Carrera Sport Wheels

1997 993 Carrera Cabriolet - Black. Cashmere Beige/Black. 6 speed manual. 17" Cup 2 Wheels

2019 Cayenne Base. Jet Black Metallic. Black/Mojave Beige. PP+. Surround View. Bose. 21" Spyder Wheels
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1318 Post(s)
Quoted: 3615 Post(s)

Very interesting results although I guess not surprising. I'd thought the owners over 40 would definitely carry something, at least the old fashioned road flares although migrating to the new LEDs makes sense. Forest fires are a reason to move away from the old flares. See https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../09/470829.htm

CA Fire in 2017 "it is likely that another vehicle struck the flare, causing it to spin off the freeway into the shrub,” Anaheim Fire & Rescue Chief Randy Bruegman told a news conference."

https://www.click2houston.com/news/a...trol-car-fires

Police cars with flares in a hot truck igniting

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...rson-suspects/

arson with road flares

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...caltrans-says/

Fires caused by road flares.

Now I'm not saying carrying road flares is a bad thing and I suspect the both accidents and arson have occurred as long as there has been road flares. Its not like this is something new. Its only recent that LEDs flares have become popular. What I want to know is about the vast majority of people who responded "No", and all those who ignored the poll, meaning they also likely say "No".

What do you all intend to do when you break down at night on a dark road? How will warn other cars coming down the road so they don't hit you? Or so the Police or emergency vehicles see you?
@mbr , the lithium battery road flares are good for 10 years. You might think "huh?" a decade? But indeed, the battery tech is that good its not something I would worry about so much. Besides, who doesn't carry a spare battery?
mbr and 993Billw like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)

In addition to some type of flare, something like these s/b carried:
Triangle Warning Sign Kit

Drivers, especially distracted drivers, need time & distance warning that you are broken down on the roadway. Day or night.

It is not sufficient to have your hazard blinkers on, IMO. They need to see the warning, well b4 they see your car.

2016 Macan Turbo | Sapphire Blue Metallic | agate grey middle leather pkg| 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | F&R SS skid plates | premium pkg plus| 18-way seats | A.S. wi PASM | PTV Plus| 3-zone | dark walnut | NO smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | wheel centers wi full color Porsche Logo |nano tinted windows |PPF
2019 Carrera 2S
2000 Jaguar XJ8
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage

I carried a pair of the old fashioned kind for years and never used them.

2018 Macan Sports Edition, daily driver.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:00 AM
mbr

@mbr , the lithium battery road flares are good for 10 years. You might think "huh?" a decade? But indeed, the battery tech is that good its not something I would worry about so much. Besides, who doesn't carry a spare battery? [/QUOTE]

10 years in a hot trunk? I would be impressed if the batteries are that good. Regardless, I should probably buy some of the LED ones and use my old ones on July 4th for the kids to use to light their sparklers!