Talk to me about LED light bulbs - Porsche Macan Forum
View Poll Results: What kind of light bulbs do you use in your house?
All incandescent 2 2.60%
All CFL 0 0%
All Halogen 0 0%
All LED 25 32.47%
A combination but migrating to all LED 32 41.56%
A combination and will continue a combination 18 23.38%
I don't need no stinking light bulbs. Candles work good 0 0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1277 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3385 Post(s)
Question Talk to me about LED light bulbs

So when incandescents were about to be banned, I was not happy. Light bulb energy usage, at least for me, is a pittance. They can't just leave well enough alone. No, they just have to mess with something that works. I ran out and hoarded 60 and 100 watt bulbs, but sooner or later you run out. They can't just leave well enough alone.

First came CFLs. I KNEW they would be a disaster. Fluorescent light is bad. But much worse was the mercury. Early horror stories of hazardous waste removal if the bulb breaks. I bought "maybe" two and just took them to hazardous waste. Hate them. Here's is why:

Cleaning Up a Broken CFL Read this. There is NO WAY I'm buying this stuff, Can't vacuum? Have to take it to hazardous waste? What nonsense. I'm surprise they sell any. Thankfully, the hoard was not running low.

Then came Halogens. OK, not bad 100w bulb light for 72 watts. Can't complain. Although I see NO point in worrying about the cost of light bulb usage, I doubt few people will not take the savings, regardless of the size of savings.

Then came LEDs. The initial cost was just ridiculous. $10 a bulb? No way. But the price of tech always drops and today you can get them much cheaper. And so I did. I bought some for a small chandelier and The color was horrendous. That's my bad. Remember - READ THE the color of light. Had to get some 2700K bulbs. The color is OK now but they FLICKER on turn on, a brief flick, when turning on. Terrible. I expect it to JUST WORK. If you are going to replace something that works, the replacement better JUST WORK.

So here's the question. Do you really think you save money switching to all LED bulbs? Even that you will notice in your monthly electric bills. I guess you don't. Anyone buying $70K cars new probably doesn't even notice a $10 change in the electric bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Switched to LED long ago. Main reason for the change was the smart bulb which is programmable and dimmable. Many bulbs can do full colour spectrum. I like the ability to set the lights on a schedule. Not really a cost thing but a reduction in power consumption.

Have no flicker in our bulbs, but then again I have the lights on a separate side in the panel box so they don't share load with the high amp motor devices.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)

Switched to LEDs years ago. IMO the big benefits are longevity and quality of light, not cost savings. I have bulbs that are probably 10 years old and no issues. No more luggng out a tall ladder to repace bulbs every few months.
roule and Arnold_T like this.

2018 Porsche Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Sports Chrono, and lots of nice options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)

I’ve gone to LED for bulbs that see any regular use. However, we have 2-3 dozen bulbs that are used infrequently or less. Most of these are still incandescent floods. I can’t see any reason to spend any more money and time to change them all.

Ď17 Macan, Carrara White with Agate
Ď17 Cayenne S, White with Black/Luxor Beige
'20 Specialized Roubaix Pro (2)
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)

We have switched all the commonly used bulbs to Hue. Love it. We also have couple of Nanoleaf pannels one in my office room and the other in my daughters room.
We switched them over primarily because of convenience. It has nothing to do with cost savings.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 971 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)

I spent a fortune on Hue, the bridge needed, etc, and they sit and collect dust.

In the addition we built it’s all recessed lighting with led, along with led sconces. Just nice to not see bulbs burn out.

In both garages we put recessed leds in ceiling also.

As for cost savings, my wife pays the electric bill so I ain’t got a clue.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Yeah, LED. What a topic. I can’t say I love them but they are much better than some of the alternatives. The new LED fixture I installed in the laundry room flickers when I get a text message via cellular and my phone is in the room. Whatever that’s all about is just dumb. All the other LED that I got at Costco for the can lights are super...no issues, but the Home Depot ones I got for a few other places are different color even though the box claims to match the Costco ones. Oh well, right?

I did notice a power drop when I went from a LCD TV to a LED TV. Honestly though we live in a modest open floor plan home with only a few lights, so I wouldn’t expect to use much power for lights. Our power bill rarely goes over $100, but we really live a strange life. We work too much, rarely run the AC even when it’s 100*, and just keep things simple for power use. The math is somewhat simple though. Count up the bulbs and watch how long they are on. Multiply out the use and then sub in LED wattage and see the difference. Check the power bill for the rate and see what the savings is. I’m very sure most of my power is used in the wine fridge, food fridge, garage fridge, kegerator, and fermenter....but that’s another story.

2015 Black Macan S Red Leather Seats, AS, Pano, 19" turbo wheels.

2016 X1 M sport, loaded.

1957 Chevy 150. Old school, I know.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage

Incandescents burn out every few months and there are good, dimmable LEDs that match the warm glow if thatís what you want. If theyíre that good and donít have to be changed again for 15 years, what is there to miss? The occasional exploded glass all over the place? The times the bulb separates from the base, which has to be removed with needle-nosed pliers?

I just replace the old ones in batches so I donít notice the cost so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roule, Arnold_T and wspollack like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in PTS Malachite Green 6/28/18

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in Sapphire Blue 2/28/15 (retired)
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 671 Post(s)
Quoted: 3315 Post(s)

I am not a house guy . I detest home depot and i don't like fixing anything . So when a light bulb goes out I am not happy . I unscrew it and I am left with a hole and no bulb . I first look in my house to see if anything will work . Sometimes I find an old light bulb. I have even been known to take a double light fixture and share the second bulb . In fact as i sit here typing this there is a fixture above me with two light bulbs . one is out . I am ok with it .

If I have to go to the store my first stop is Publix because food is as important as the bulb . While there I buy what they have. Sometimes they have LED , other times a standard bulb , and other times .. nothing . When that happens I turn to my lovely wife and say "we need a bulb" . Then it comes down to two people in search and sometimes i get it before her , other times she gets it before me , and if by chance we both get bulbs we discuss it for about 20 seconds and pick one .

Thus . I picked the most popular choice "A combination and it will continue to be" .
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1277 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3385 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
I am not a house guy . I detest home depot and i don't like fixing anything . .
Good one

So lets go over some of the answers, well with my experience. Our experiences might be all different but I like to hear all the input.

Not really a cost thing but a reduction in power consumption

They are one in the same. Lower power consumption means less cost. However, I've tried to do the math and it comes to ... pennies/day. Elec is like 13 cents/kWh. So a 100w bulb burning 12 hours (like all night averaged over the year) would cost ~16 cents. Its pennies. It comes up to pennies/day, pennies/month, for me maybe $24. If it were free, it would be $24, a rough guess. Meanwhile there is the sunk cost of those expensive bulbs.

big benefits are longevity and quality of light, not cost savings.

Agree long life. Quality of light? Not seeing it.

Hue. Love it. spent a fortune on Hue, the bridge needed, etc, and they sit and collect dust.

Looked into it. Ridiculously expensive. Anything shouting "smart house" stay far away from. The moment someone figures out how to hack it and make money from it, they will hijack your house for ransom No seriously, IMO a bad idea depending upon any computer, any app, any "device" for basic services. I stay far away from "smart" appliances, anything connected to the internet in any way. I know TV is smart and hate it. Stupid TVs, just want to change the station.

Count up the bulbs and watch how long they are on. Multiply out the use and then sub in LED wattage and see the difference. Check the power bill for the rate and see what the savings is. I’m very sure most of my power is used in the wine fridge, food fridge, garage fridge, kegerator, and fermenter....but that’s another story.

True. Power is used by toasters (literally toasters), heaters, anything with a heating element. Anything with a big motor like vacuum.

Incandescents burn out every few months

Not my experience. Dependent upon usage, I've had them go years. Even outside bulb on all night long have lasted years. YMMV

The occasional exploded glass all over the place?

Never had that happen. Usually they just go out with a slight pop.

The times the bulb separates from the base, which has to be removed with needle-nosed pliers?

Don't remember that happened ever either.

I picked the most popular choice "A combination and it will continue to be"

This is where I am at. When my hoard runs out, then I will have no choice. However, something is going on here.

EU will ban halogen bulbs at the end of the month making lighting our homes TWICE as expensive | Daily Mail Online

EU to ban Halogens EU seems to like regulating things

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4e89ca036a15

US about to repeal or do something with the old rules? https://cei.org/blog/department-ener...nt-light-bulbs

I, like I assume most, find spending less money appealing. Can't argue with that, even if its $20/month. Whats that? A dozen donuts and two cups of coffee? But I would rather have CHOICE. Let me decide what to buy. I would NEVER choose CFL. I can't believe they are still sold. Halogen is fine. Let the consumer decide. The best technology at the right price point will win and force the others off the market.

But for now, I'm in @yrralis1 camp. I got a mixture. I hate buying them. And, more importantly, even if it were free, I seriously doubt it would have much effect on anyone's monthly budget who buys any new porsche. Of course, that's not true for many, many people and they need help too. But the high cost of the bulbs might be prohibitive while incandescents cost pennies.
yrralis1 and Andy B like this.