User Tag List

113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 673 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3336 Post(s)
Default What's selling and what's holding value - My Opinion

I was at the dealership two days ago . Currently we are somewhat in limbo as both the new Macan and 911 are not out yet. In short things are slow . People are either waiting or inventory on certain cars is low.

Informal chat and a few searches point a few things .

1) Sport Edition Macans are 10 percent off . Anyone who bucks at it .. keep looking.

2) The 991.2 is a really good deal as inventory is still strong. The GTS is still a harder to negotiate car . Carrera T , base cars , S and the Turbo S are all seriously negotiable .

3) Used Macan GTS cars are selling at a premium . Do not sell yours for anything less than top dollar . New leftover GTS cars are gone in my area .

Considerable thought ... Anyone holding a Macan GTS and desired a 991.2 .. this is a time to jump it . The trade will get a big $$$ and the 991.2 can get a nice price .

4) Ok one last point ... The used Macan Turbo ... I view this is the ultimate deal. Low mile Macan Turbos asking in the 50's on cars which cost nearly double new .
The reason why the Macan Turbo is not fetching proportionally what the GTS is comes from the extra two model years of production. GTS cars were only 17 and 18 . Turbo included 15-18.

In fact .. i feel the CPO Macan Turbo is the SUV deal du jour and the 991.2 Carrera T is the 911 du jour.

Hope it helps for those looking at any of these cars .. these are merely my opinions .
sergeyb, GTSNJ and Roadstergal like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Any thoughts on how the Turbo PP stacks up?
post #3 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
I was at the dealership two days ago . Currently we are somewhat in limbo as both the new Macan and 911 are not out yet. In short things are slow . People are either waiting or inventory on certain cars is low.

Informal chat and a few searches point a few things .

1) Sport Edition Macans are 10 percent off . Anyone who bucks at it .. keep looking.

2) The 991.2 is a really good deal as inventory is still strong. The GTS is still a harder to negotiate car . Carrera T , base cars , S and the Turbo S are all seriously negotiable .

3) Used Macan GTS cars are selling at a premium . Do not sell yours for anything less than top dollar . New leftover GTS cars are gone in my area .

Considerable thought ... Anyone holding a Macan GTS and desired a 991.2 .. this is a time to jump it . The trade will get a big $$$ and the 991.2 can get a nice price .

4) Ok one last point ... The used Macan Turbo ... I view this is the ultimate deal. Low mile Macan Turbos asking in the 50's on cars which cost nearly double new .
The reason why the Macan Turbo is not fetching proportionally what the GTS is comes from the extra two model years of production. GTS cars were only 17 and 18 . Turbo included 15-18.

In fact .. i feel the CPO Macan Turbo is the SUV deal du jour and the 991.2 Carrera T is the 911 du jour.

Hope it helps for those looking at any of these cars .. these are merely my opinions .
Got my ‘15 turbo for $47k. Brings so much joy 😍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)

What kind of a premium are the used Macan GTS's getting? I have to say it is still the best handling Macan in the range.
yrralis1, sergeyb and gradyex like this.
post #5 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylon View Post
What kind of a premium are the used Macan GTS's getting? I have to say it is still the best handling Macan in the range.
Much depends on the mileage and condition but on average I am seeing 5K more than one year ago . For example my former modest spec lot car (76K MSRP) with 42K miles (76K MSRP) got 55K in trade a year ago and asked low 60's as a CPO . Add 5 grand to that . I am seeing cars like mine asking upper 60's and selling (likely in low 60's for a 2017).

They simply dont have GTS cars and with no date of a new one yet.
pkA6, Nylon and sergeyb like this.
post #6 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)

Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree. The last loaner car I had was an AS equipped base. The significant reduction in weight over the front axle makes for a substantial difference versus any of the V6 trim levels. I absolutely missed the V6 power and personally would not buy one, but there's definitely something to be said for the lower front end weight. Made the car feel more balanced.
roule likes this.
post #7 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
Any thoughts on how the Turbo PP stacks up?
The Turbo PP is a rare car and much like the GTS had a shorter model year production run than the base turbo. Unless one really loves the Turbo PP that performance package on the used market cant compete with the savings on an older base turbo . My personal view is that the 2016 car is the sweet spot . It's a bit newer with a few less quirks than initial 15 cars and gets a nice haircut with the older PCM (all of them are dated anyway as of the new car).

We are talking 50's for a 16 Turbo Vs upper 70's and 80's for a PP . 15 Turbos even break 50. That's less than a stripped base car .
post #8 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
Much depends on the mileage and condition but on average I am seeing 5K more than one year ago . For example my former modest spec lot car (76K MSRP) with 42K miles (76K MSRP) got 55K in trade a year ago and asked low 60's as a CPO . Add 5 grand to that . I am seeing cars like mine asking upper 60's and selling (likely in low 60's for a 2017).

They simply dont have GTS cars and with no date of a new one yet.
Many thanks for the info.
yrralis1 likes this.
post #9 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Philly View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. The last loaner car I had was an AS equipped base. The significant reduction in weight over the front axle makes for a substantial difference versus any of the V6 trim levels. I absolutely missed the V6 power and personally would not buy one, but there's definitely something to be said for the lower front end weight. Made the car feel more balanced.
Weight reduction in any form is always a huge plus. It simply cannot be beat as a tool to improve handling. Having said that, the GTS vehicles were designed to as closely as possible mimic traditional sports car driving dynamics. Which means rear drive bias and the ability to corner as flat as possible close to threshold limits without losing composure, as such, in my opinion, the GTS and the Turbo PP package provides a balance and feel that cannot be matched in the segment despite numerous attempts by competitors.
post #10 of 192 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)

Quote:
Weight reduction in any form is always a huge plus. It simply cannot be beat as a tool to improve handling. Having said that, the GTS vehicles were designed to as closely as possible mimic traditional sports car driving dynamics. Which means rear drive bias and the ability to corner as flat as possible close to threshold limits without losing composure, as such, in my opinion, the GTS and the Turbo PP package provides a balance and feel that cannot be matched in the segment despite numerous attempts by competitors.
I have to disagree on a number of fronts.

I realize no Macan owner wants to hear this, but the Stelvio plain and simply outhandles the Macan. I have never seen nor read a professional car review that said otherwise, and I have driven three of them myself including a Q4. I would not personally buy a Stelvio for other reasons, but I think we need to give Alfa credit where credit is due.

I'm curious if you have actually driven a base Macan. Even without AS or PASM, the base feels more nimble and more balanced, and has more immediate turn in. I would say even most casual drivers would notice the difference immediately, and I am far from the only forum member that has picked up on it. Yes, I don't think there's any question the GTS would be the better performer on a skid pad and have more ultimate grip because it's lowered. But the base feels more of the nimbleness of a sports car, not that any Macan really comes anywhere close to the feel of a true sports car.

Not trying to knock the GTS at all. No question it benefits from being lowered and I personally would not buy a base Macan as I would never be satisfied with the four-cylinder engine, and definitely favor the GTS engine instead.

But I do have some skepticism regarding some of Porsche's marketing hype about the GTS. I think much if not all of what has been accomplished on the handling front is simply a result of lowering the car. That makes a huge difference especially because the Macan is on the heavy side. Nothing wrong with that, but I have owned Porsches for decades and have experienced their marketing hype repeatedly. I've learned to recognize it when I see them making rather vague statements versus engineering facts. Not picking on Porsche. The marketing people for the vast majority of all consumer products companies do the same thing to some degree.

I recognize my thoughts are probably not going to be popular here, but again they are simply a result of a considerable amount of experience owning a number of Porsche vehicles.
Kannassee and sergeyb like this.