Anyone here with a Macan who has never driven a 911 ? - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Default Anyone here with a Macan who has never driven a 911 ?

Some Macan owners here have been on the forum as long as 5 years. So who hasn't driven one ?

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-14-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Garage

So it was over 10 years ago.... and to be 100% honest, I BARELY, and I mean barely, remember the Porsche. But when you see my pic below, you’ll understand why. It was a Drive Your Dream event/gift my wife bought me; and of all the cars we drove, you can see that the Porsche was (for the most part) the tamest of the bunch. So inadvertently, the 911 was the least impressive from what I remember.... but only because it was pure and refined in Porsche manner. Two Italian super cars (which were auditory orgasms every time you nailed the go-pedal).... new (back then) Audi technology which was incredible. And a ridiculously raw-powered Viper. If I remember correctly, the 911 wasn’t even supposed to be there... but for the life of me, I can’t recall what car WAS supposed to be there in its place.

What really stinks? This was a half day of fun driving out in back Texas country roads... it was a chance to really “feel” the car and experience the good and bad. But I was at a completely different place in my life back then (pre-kids), and probably never imagined I would actually be in the Porsche world (as an owner even more so).

At the moment, I can tell my Porsche-plan is slowly unfolding/changing... I have my sights on getting a 718 at some point for the weekender. At that point, I’ll probably change my daily driver back to something less emotional than the Macan. But we are years away from that plan; many things could change. First hurdle, I have to see if a 718 would even make it up my driveway. I am not an engineer, and don’t pretend to be that smart... so rather than figure it out mathematically, I’ll probably just talk my SA into letting me “borrow” a nicely used 718 for a test drive, and I will GINGERLY see how it fairs.

Then, one day, as the kiddos are off and into the world... I see a nice condo somewhere, hopefully overlooking the ocean... and parked down in the parking garage is the 911 GT3. But that’s a long way off still... and they probably won’t be making a GT3 at that point. So I guess we’ll have to see...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0043.jpeg (63.5 KB, 43 views)
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)

I only bought an SUV to save my back from the long drives I do for work ... so I have not driven a 911 and likely never will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Garage

only at a Porsche event 3x
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)

I finally drove a 911 last Summer at a Porsche event day at Nj Motorsports park. It was awesome but oddly enough I liked the 718 Cayman better,especially when we drove them both at the autocross track.

2015 Macan S in rhodium silver, black 14 ways,PASM, LCA, LKA,ACC,3 zone, smokers pkg (non smoker),comfort lights, trailer hitch, entertainment, premium pkg., 19" AS Michelins, 19" Turbo wheels.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)

I owned a 911. It was a 1969 911. (See Avatar.) Not a 911S or a 911L. Just a 911. I had several 987s and 981s.

2018 Porsche Macan Sport Edition Black
2017 Triumph Bobber Black
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
Some Macan owners here have been on the forum as long as 5 years. So who hasn't driven one ?
I've only driven one 911, a GT3, for about half an hour last year at Exotics Racing in Las Vegas (and will be doing so again this September). I doubt my wife and I will ever own a 911 because of the money involved, and because ingress and (especially) egress is too difficult for some of us oldsters.

Not sure if that qualifies, the information that you're looking for, etc.

By contrast, we picked up our Macan about 21 months ago, and still loving it.

Cheers,

Bill P.

2018 Macan S (Delivered at PEC in October 2017, gallery at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)

I've never driven or even ridden in a 2-door Porsche, and have no desire to ever do so. I came to Porsche only because of its 4-door vehicles. I've owned two Panameras now, and my 2019 Macan. I just don't care for tiny cars in the slightest (both for safety reasons and for practicality), and have no desire to ever drive on a race track. If I won the lottery and decided I might want a 2-door sports car, the only one I'd even consider would be the Ferrari GTC4Lusso, and I have actually driven a Ferrari FF with a V12 engine. (That said, I do admire a 2-door Porsche when I see one!)
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Never driven a 911. No desire to. As someone else said, the Macan is for the ride. And what a ride....

///BRUCE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous rides: 09 BMW 650 coupe, 09 MB ML63 AMG, GT500KR manual, GT500 manual, 01 BMW M3C manual, 03.5 BMW M3C manual, 05 BMW M3C manual, 13 C63 AMG, '70 Jag XKE coupe manual, '62 MGB manual, '70 Ford Mach I w Cleveland V8 manual
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I had a beautiful Guards Red 1988 3.2 Carrera (with obligatory whale tail) for five years (I never should have sold it) and a Speed Yellow 2003 Carrera 2 for nine years. One air-cooled and the other a water pumper. A study in contrasts. I loved them both, but for different reasons. Time marches on.
TXRed likes this.