Porsche Macan Forum

Porsche Macan Forum (https://www.macanforum.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 911 Forum (https://www.macanforum.com/forum/porsche-911-forum/)
-   -   Four 911s on the Autobahn (https://www.macanforum.com/forum/porsche-911-forum/170919-four-911s-autobahn.html)

motoent 05-15-2019 04:09 PM

Four 911s on the Autobahn

TXRed 05-16-2019 12:47 PM

...ha, so cool.... to be able to cruise at 115-120 mph...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iconoclast 05-20-2019 01:18 AM

This is a video game, right? Not real video of actual cars on the actual Autobahn.

JohnC4S 05-20-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iconoclast (Post 2530343)
This is a video game, right? Not real video of actual cars on the actual Autobahn.

Its a real video.

John

gfspencer 05-20-2019 08:09 AM

When I was stationed in Germany I had a 5 series BMW and the roads were not so crowded. I could drive from Hanau to Berchtesgaden (335 miles) in four hours with a bathroom/fuel break.

I've been 145 miles per hour on a BMW motorcycle on the A8 south of Munich. It was a Sunday morning with not much traffic.

It is a little harder to do stuff like that now because the Autobahn is more crowded and you are likely to run into a "stau" (traffic jam).

I miss Germany. :crying:

TXRed 05-20-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfspencer (Post 2530353)
When I was stationed in Germany I had a 5 series BMW and the roads were not so crowded. I could drive from Hanau to Berchtesgaden (335 miles) in four hours with a bathroom/fuel break.

I've been 145 miles per hour on a BMW motorcycle on the A8 south of Munich. It was a Sunday morning with not much traffic.

It is a little harder to do stuff like that now because the Autobahn is more crowded and you are likely to run into a "stau" (traffic jam).

I miss Germany. :crying:

I live in TX... we have some seriously wide and flat stretches of highway... I tipped 172 mph once on my R1 (motorcycle), but I figure the speedo error put me more like 165ish. That was fast enough for me for quite awhile. On a track is one thing; on open highway is another.

[email protected]>@W 05-20-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnC4S (Post 2530349)
Its a real video.

John

looking at the vehicles go past in the left lane (as viewed from the in car video) they appear
to be skating - leading one to believe this is a computer generated video, rather than an actual
capture...

:eek:

Yadkin 05-20-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXRed (Post 2530355)
I live in TX... we have some seriously wide and flat stretches of highway... I tipped 172 mph once on my R1 (motorcycle), but I figure the speedo error put me more like 165ish. That was fast enough for me for quite awhile. On a track is one thing; on open highway is another.

There is no reason that certain stretches of US roadways should have speed limits. We could be just like Germany. The Autobahn isn't continuously unlimited speed; only certain sections are. Some as short as 5 km.

grim 05-20-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 2530377)
There is no reason that certain stretches of US roadways should have speed limits. We could be just like Germany. The Autobahn isn't continuously unlimited speed; only certain sections are. Some as short as 5 km.

Many states used to have no speed limits. I remember when NV had no speed limit. Reasonable and prudent for the weather and traffic. The 55 mph speed limit killed that and it never recovered although I think MT had like a $5 fine for a time until the feds cracked down threatening to take away money. That was then, this is now. You will never see R&P proliferate again.

First, perhaps a German member here can explain, but I don't think getting a license is as simple as here.

Second, I think the speeding fines are much greater and the enforcement much stronger in the sense they are not going to give you 55 +9 (9 mph leeway) but a ticket for a few MPH over the limit, at least I've read reports of people saying they got tickets in the mail for small numbers over the limits.

Third, Drinking. Back when the law of the some states was R&P DUI or DWI was considered in many locations like running a stop light with .15 as the magic number. Today, its .08 and taken VERY seriously. Thank MADD. Its now a big deal. Imagine now drinking with no speed limit.

Fourth, equipment. Take your tires. You know they are good for as fast as your Porsche can go. Is everyone's? Did people care about that in 1965? How about today? They might run with retreaded bias ply tires and not care a bit. Now take someone today, not want to pay for whatever rated tire they need, and slap on the cheapest tires. Take patches. Once the tire is patched, it loses its speed rating. You think people will care?

And last, people. US safety mandates have saved lives. Cars are MUCH safer. Are people? The key figure for highway deaths is by VMT. 2014 it was at its lowest and since been going up. Why? Its not because of driving more. Thats why you look at VMT and not total deaths. It could be lesser enforcement of seatbelt laws of drunk driving laws. Maybe its distracted driving. The bottom line is that it was rising, for whatever reason, despite safer cars. I see people talking on phones every week, all the time, completely ignore the law. People do whatever they want. Now imagine them doing that at 120. And doing them in junk cars or crap tires, and their face in their phones. Good plan - not. It just won't happen. You think maybe the MADD success has been pretty good that last two decades? US speed limits will never go up to R&P more than one or two states, if that. The good old days are gone forever. You can't go home.

BTW, I remember thinking - I CANNOT wait to drive in Montana, parts of northern Utah, and the best place of all, Nevada up across the desert. Its not like that video on the autobahn. There was NOTHING there. No cars, no people, nothing but sand or scrub brush. It was utterly boring. You couldn't even tell how fast you were going because there is nothing to gauge your speed against. If you live east of the Mississippi or near any big city and its suburbs, then go out into the boondocks, its is pretty interesting, straight ribbon of road, two lane US highway to nowhere, and utterly boring to drive.

Now sure, give some 20 something kid that opportunity with their cellphones today. Its not going to happen. The safety advocates would scream over it.

wspollack 05-20-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 2530377)

Well, maybe. I spent 2+ years in Germany in the Army -- er, um, okay, that was half a century ago -- and did a fair amount of traveling as fast as a Ford Cortina (owned by one of my buddies) could go. Fast Forward about three decades, and my wife and I did an Edelweiss "Best of Europe" motorcycle tour, which included some stints (the first and last days) on unlimited-speed stretches of the autobahn.

Of course, things may have changed in the ensuing five and two decades, but based on those experiences, it was my impression that the typical German driver was more attuned to the rules of the road than the typical American driver. I don't know, better driver's ed? Stricter licensing requirements? Societal view of driving as a serious activity?

If you're in the left lane here in the States, and someone in front of you had a momentary lapse of concentration, and hadn't yet spotted you in his rear-view mirror, and you flicked your left turn signal (a European thing) or flicked your high beams ... (whew) ... do you think he would understand that, and promptly move over? I dunno, but I've been behind plenty of left-lane drivers here -- on, say, the NY Thruway, and speeds barely above the speed limit -- who are oblivious to repeated flashes. All of which makes me wonder whether the US is ready for such stretches.

Back to TX -- and I'm guessing that @TXRed will know about this -- my buddy and I were on our bikes (he had an RT, and I was on my Victory Cross Country), going from Buda to COTA. This was back in 2013, and we had ridden from Albany, NY, to see the inaugural MotoGP races there. Anyway, I think it was TX 45 we were using to commute, and I think the speed limit was 85. In any case, I do remember that traffic on that was almost non-existent, and that I got to see if Victory allowed the cruise to be set beyond 100 (it did) on that road. So, OTOH to what I wrote above, maybe there are certain stretches that would be okay.

Oh, one last thing. It's my understanding from reading some articles over the years that Germany invests a lot of time, money, materials, and energy into building really good road beds, the sub-surface and suchlike, for the autobahn. That might make a difference, too, in terms of whether a road is suitable for high-speed driving.