To Track or not to Track, THAT is the Question!!! - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 970 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2943 Post(s)
Default To Track or not to Track, THAT is the Question!!!

So as the warmer months arrive, the NY Chapter, and obviously many others, of PCA's calendar is chockablock with driver education events and autocross.

The only thing even close to the above I've ever done was an invite last year, thanks to @sonorous here, to a day at Lime Rock Racetrack in Connecticut where we got to drive different model Porsches around the track for a few laps in a follow-the-leader style, and then autocross in Caymans. That was followed by "get revenge" laps driven by the instructors with us as passengers.

I had a very good time.

I readily admit, I love to go fast. I often see an open highway in front of me and have dreams of the Autobahn.

It should therefore follow that I'd love to do one of the events above. What's my hesitation?

It's my car, it's my baby. Autocross seems to beat the crap out of cars. Brakes, tires, etc. Do I want to put that kind of wear and tear on my car?

As for DE events, it seems to me driving fast around a track would not put as much wear on the car. I"m guessing track insurance is a must. Don't know how much that costs.

I recently read, though need a refresher, the page describing DE events. It's a lot to take in. Pre-inspection, etc.

So are you a member? If so, are you going to definitely take advantage of these opportunities?

I may yet, just not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)

It may just be the most fun thing you can do with your clothes on!

Really!!!

And, yes, you tend to beat the h*ll out of your vehicle - which is capable of more than the
person sitting behind the wheel. The vehicle is not the limiting factor in the driving schools/
track days, it's the operator.

I ended up buying an extra set of wheels/tires for track days.

DISCLAIMER: I have not taken my Macan to the track. I drove two other BMW during track
days a few years ago.
pkA6 and sonorous like this.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
So as the warmer months arrive, the NY Chapter, and obviously many others, of PCA's calendar is chockablock with driver education events and autocross.

The only thing even close to the above I've ever done was an invite last year, thanks to @sonorous here, to a day at Lime Rock Racetrack in Connecticut where we got to drive different model Porsches around the track for a few laps in a follow-the-leader style, and then autocross in Caymans. That was followed by "get revenge" laps driven by the instructors with us as passengers.

I had a very good time.

I readily admit, I love to go fast. I often see an open highway in front of me and have dreams of the Autobahn.

It should therefore follow that I'd love to do one of the events above. What's my hesitation?

It's my car, it's my baby. Autocross seems to beat the crap out of cars. Brakes, tires, etc. Do I want to put that kind of wear and tear on my car?

As for DE events, it seems to me driving fast around a track would not put as much wear on the car. I"m guessing track insurance is a must. Don't know how much that costs.

I recently read, though need a refresher, the page describing DE events. It's a lot to take in. Pre-inspection, etc.

So are you a member? If so, are you going to definitely take advantage of these opportunities?

I may yet, just not sure.
Mark, if you are feeling the bug to do a DE, I say go for it. I did my first real DE last year and it was great. As a novice without any experience with all the details that go along with an event like this, it can be intimidating. But after doing one, I can assure you it is highly organized and caters very well to novices. The day begins with a safety inspection and then classroom sessions on safety and performance driving. You will be put into the green group and assigned an instructor. They will answer any questions you have and ride shotgun with you on the track providing valuable pointers and technique at every step. I should stress that this is done at YOUR ability level. The emphasis is safety, learning, and having fun. You can drive at the speed you feel comfortable. It is not a race. You have nothing to prove. Leave your ego at home

Signing up for an event is easy. I chose a 2 day event hosted by North Country PCA. I am sure most or all PCA are run very well but this event was for sure. Once registered, read up on the requirements and recommendation on what to bring and wear. If you do not have a helmet, they typically have loaners but supply is limited. I have my own. Within 2 weeks of the event, you will need to get a track inspection completed on your car. I had this done at Speed Sport Tuning in Danbury and I recommend using them based on your location. It is a no cost service that they offer. I stopped in on my way to work at 8 AM and my car was done by 8:30. They found zero issues and did not charge me anything.

Insurance: This is a personal thing, but I would highly recommend purchasing track insurance. There is always a chance that the worst happens and your car is totaled. It would not be covered by standard insurance. If you are willing to walk away from your car a total loss, then perhaps insurance is not needed. I am not... The nice thing about a 2 day event is that one insurance contract covers both days. It is based on the event not days. So the cost is the same as a one day event. You can purchase the insurance from links right on the registration site. I used Lockton and chose a $90k declared value. As reference, the cost with the PCA discount including taxes and fees was $565.

Finally, Porsche cars are meant to be driven hard and on track. Yes, you will wear the tires and brakes much faster but a day or two on track here and there is nothing for a Porsche. The experience is worth is so don't let this be a deterrent.

NCR is running an event again this year at LRP. I tentatively plan to do this event this year as well. Maybe I will see you there? https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ucation-144837

Last edited by sonorous; 03-21-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1271 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3336 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post

As for DE events, it seems to me driving fast around a track would not put as much wear on the car.
Sure, driving as fast as you possibly can, then braking as fast as you possibly can, and then cornering as fast as you possibly can, at 80 - 100 mph, certainly does less wear and tear than doing it at 30 mph.

Buy the insurance. Be wary of the warranty. You break it, likely you fix it. Go over to RL and ask there. Those guys do it all the time. They will know everything.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
Sure, driving as fast as you possibly can, then braking as fast as you possibly can, and then cornering as fast as you possibly can, at 80 - 100 mph, certainly does less wear and tear than doing it at 30 mph.

Buy the insurance. Be wary of the warranty. You break it, likely you fix it. Go over to RL and ask there. Those guys do it all the time. They will know everything.

When I was @ PEC in December I asked about the test vehicles provided to us for the experience, he stated they get brakes and tires multiple times in 3k miles, so much so that its literally $1000's per vehicle in expenses to PEC.

But he did state that most cars are more capable than drivers are, and they did not break often even under the abuse of repeated SC Launches and overall track abuse.

They are great vehicles, I was impressed by what they will take for abuse, most will never utilize what they are capable of, even @ a track day.

pkA6 likes this.

2017 Macan GTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2019 Boxster GTS - Atlanta PEC Delivery ON 12/12/2018

2019 GMC Denali 2500HD L5P Diesel
2009 Corvette/ZR1-3ZR Atomic Orange - 1 of 35 made
2013/427/Convertible Corvette-60th Anniversary

2015 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited - 103 cid

2014 Harley Davidson CVO Breakout - 110 cid
1968 Chevelle Malibu - Work in Progress
2016 GMC Denali 2500HD Diesel - SOLD
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

An alternative to tracking your car is to sign up for the 2 day Porsche Sport Driving School in Birmingham, AL (now called Porsche Track Experiene/PTX). Don’t do the one day. It’s about $2500 a day (a little less). Great track instruction and you get to beat on their 911s and Caymans on the track (plus a bunch of other models in the paddock exercises). It may seem like a lot, but you walk away with no wear on your own car.

The reality is that the $2500/day is not the real cost. The real cost is the money you will then spend on DE or getting yourself a 911 (forgot you have one) or a track prep car after.
pkA6 and wwahl like this.

Last edited by GoBlue!; 03-21-2019 at 04:32 PM.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Garage

Do it; you won’t regret it. The problem is that you may get bit by the bug, like I was.

It creates some type of even more special bond between you and your 911, and you will also learn to understand how a rear-engine car handles and how you keep it stable, smooth and fast as you get closer to your own limits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1271 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3336 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner0207 View Post
But he did state that most cars are more capable than drivers are, and they did not break often even under the abuse of repeated SC Launches and overall track abuse.
Agree 100%. That's why I repeatedly laugh at those who add the performance options to the Macan. They will never drive the car at 10/10s, never. Yet they still need to modify the car to get another 20 HP, or whatever they do. Why? But its more than just the buyer, its also those that "test" the cars and write "reviews".

Read https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ple-cant-drive He nails it.

"When you read a review of a car by somebody who doesn’t know what it’s like to battle for position on a racetrack, braking at the last possible second to try to put your nose to the door of a competitor, and occasionally exceeding those limits and finding yourself on an agricultural tour of Turn Seven – how does that person truly determine what the “limit” of a car his? How does he actually know how good the brakes are?

I’ll tell you how: he doesn’t. He possesses neither the talent nor the skill to discern any difference. Hence, all cars are good. Every new model is better than the model it replaces, because why would it be NEW and REIMAGINED otherwise?"

Nailed it. All these cars are better than 99.999% of us. So when you see people dissing base cars. LOL. 99.999% of the drivers, myself included, can never drive the cars at the limit consistently, nor ever will. Except in the snow of course, but we won't discuss that
iconoclast and dlguig83 like this.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Garage

Track days are SO much fun. Any Porsche owner who enjoys the performance capabilities of their car owes it to themselves to get out on the track. It is truly amazing what these cars can handle with no modifications. It really gives you a sense of the purpose and level of engineering Porsche builds into their cars. This is especially true of course for the sports cars, but the Macan is also track capable. The main downside is the expense, and that it gets to be addictive.
@grim interesting perspective. As much as people dis Consumer Reports reviews, I've always found them to be very useful because they focus on real world practicality and not 'ring times.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)

Just Do It !!! But, it's addictive, very addictive.

When I was living in Asia, we (the Club) used to rent out Sepang every month and drove the crap out of our daily drivers.

Funny thing is exactly what @grim said about modifying cars even for the track, people always go for power gains first which is IMHO the most dangerous thing to do especially if you are inexperienced. The first thing I did was replace my brakes, it's no use being able to go fast but not able to stop. I hated the Brembos that were on my car, and changed them to AP Racing, the best brakes that I've every had on any car, 100x (exaggerating of course) better than those of my old 911. The second thing I did was change the entire suspension and stiffen the chassis. Just doing this was worth 50bhp equivalent because I could slow down later and whip through the corners faster. Of course the more powerful cars would gain that back on the straights. Only when happy with the setup did I modify the engine, managed to get 500bhp out of a 2.2L.

My fastest 'official' time round Sepang using their transponders was about 2:23 and fastest 'unofficial' time by stopwatch by my garage support was about 2:15. Pretty decent for my daily driver.

Sadly, my tracking days are over because I've been banned by the wife, only because I hit a wall at Sepang at 100mph with her in the car. Ironically, I hit the wall because I was going too slow, if I were going faster, I would simply have gone into the gravel as the car hydroplaned but with that very little bit of traction to bring it back the wrong way. The video from the onboard camera still send chills down her spine.

No, it wasn't a Porsche. Porsche's are too expensive over there ... my Macan would cost $500,000 over there.
MDJAK, SoCalS5 and TXRed like this.