To Track or not to Track, THAT is the Question!!! - Page 2 - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw View Post
Just Do It !!! But, it's addictive, very addictive.

When I was living in Asia, we (the Club) used to rent out Sepang every month and drove the crap out of our daily drivers.

Funny thing is exactly what @grim said about modifying cars even for the track, people always go for power gains first which is IMHO the most dangerous thing to do especially if you are inexperienced. The first thing I did was replace my brakes, it's no use being able to go fast but not able to stop. I hated the Brembos that were on my car, and changed them to AP Racing, the best brakes that I've every had on any car, 100x (exaggerating of course) better than those of my old 911. The second thing I did was change the entire suspension and stiffen the chassis. Just doing this was worth 50bhp equivalent because I could slow down later and whip through the corners faster. Of course the more powerful cars would gain that back on the straights. Only when happy with the setup did I modify the engine, managed to get 500bhp out of a 2.2L.

My fastest 'official' time round Sepang using their transponders was about 2:23 and fastest 'unofficial' time by stopwatch by my garage support was about 2:15. Pretty decent for my daily driver.

Sadly, my tracking days are over because I've been banned by the wife, only because I hit a wall at Sepang at 100mph with her in the car. Ironically, I hit the wall because I was going too slow, if I were going faster, I would simply have gone into the gravel as the car hydroplaned but with that very little bit of traction to bring it back the wrong way. The video from the onboard camera still send chills down her spine.

No, it wasn't a Porsche. Porsche's are too expensive over there ... my Macan would cost $500,000 over there.

...I love reading cool life stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:38 AM
mbr

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
So as the warmer months arrive, the NY Chapter, and obviously many others, of PCA's calendar is chockablock with driver education events and autocross.

The only thing even close to the above I've ever done was an invite last year, thanks to @sonorous here, to a day at Lime Rock Racetrack in Connecticut where we got to drive different model Porsches around the track for a few laps in a follow-the-leader style, and then autocross in Caymans. That was followed by "get revenge" laps driven by the instructors with us as passengers.

I had a very good time.

I readily admit, I love to go fast. I often see an open highway in front of me and have dreams of the Autobahn.

It should therefore follow that I'd love to do one of the events above. What's my hesitation?

It's my car, it's my baby. Autocross seems to beat the crap out of cars. Brakes, tires, etc. Do I want to put that kind of wear and tear on my car?

As for DE events, it seems to me driving fast around a track would not put as much wear on the car. I"m guessing track insurance is a must. Don't know how much that costs.

I recently read, though need a refresher, the page describing DE events. It's a lot to take in. Pre-inspection, etc.

So are you a member? If so, are you going to definitely take advantage of these opportunities?

I may yet, just not sure.
Autocross your 911T first. DE would be fun but autocross is less risk as it is only you and some cones. One day (5-6) runs is not going to kill your tires or brakes and you dont need track insurance. I love autocrossing my stock (except updated shocks & euro springs) 22 year old 993 with the pca and plan to take my 991 C4S soon!

2017 991.2 Carrera 4S - GT Silver Metallic. Black/Bordeaux Red. Sport Package. PDK. PASM. PP+. ACC. LCA. FAL. 18-Way Seats. Bose. 20" Carrera Sport Wheels

1997 993 Carrera Cabriolet - Black. Cashmere Beige/Black. 6 speed manual. 17" Cup 2 Wheels

2019 Cayenne Base. Jet Black Metallic. Black/Mojave Beige. PP+. Surround View. Bose. 21" Spyder Wheels
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1318 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3615 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrunch View Post
@grim interesting perspective. As much as people dis Consumer Reports reviews, I've always found them to be very useful because they focus on real world practicality and not 'ring times.
I don't think that article was discussing consumer reports. I've found most auto enthusiasts love consumer reports when they love their car of choice and hate them when they don't. I bet Tesla 3 buyers hate consumer reports about now.

That article is talking about the many "auto journalists" who get a car for a day or two, write a review, and the go to the next. Car. They don't own them, they don't have any serious time with them, and they are unable to drive the faster cars at the limit. Car makers love them because they get all these positive reviews. But don't depend upon them.

To make it simple, if you want to know about a minivan's ability, go to youtube and find a real owner, someone who takes 6 kids to school every day, shopping, family outings. They will know. Similarly, want to 4 x 4? Get a jeep owners perspective. Want a sports car? Listen to people who have driven competitively, not the guy who gets a 911 for two days, then moves on to a Mustang. I think that's the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw View Post
Funny thing is exactly what @grim said about modifying cars even for the track, people always go for power gains first which is IMHO the most dangerous thing to do especially if you are inexperienced.
Good story. Unfortunately, people don't want to listen. Instead of investing in their own skills, they throw money away on more HP which they can probably never use anywhere, never mind on the street. But I got nothing against modding. Been there, done that. Learned a lesson. You live and learn.

I think most of us have to learn the hard way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
Good story. Unfortunately, people don't want to listen. Instead of investing in their own skills, they throw money away on more HP which they can probably never use anywhere, never mind on the street. But I got nothing against modding. Been there, done that. Learned a lesson. You live and learn.
Good point.

I've read a lot of reviews in motorcycle mags (and these days, on the 'net) over the years, where the article is about a track day or a weekend course, or a combination of thereof. And almost always the authors will point out that while you may be spending anywhere from a few hundred to up to a couple thousand -- and that may seem expensive -- you get to be a better rider. And maybe avoid an accident, saving money and body parts (yours and the bike's).

Having done about an instruction/track day a year for the last four years (and other training courses over the years), I reiterate that in biker forum posts. I point out that in my wayward youth, I spend more than that on completely non-functional chrome, for instance (and gobs of other folks spend more on new exhausts, or Stage N kits, etc.).

Cheers,

Bill P.

2018 Macan S (Delivered at PEC in October 2017, gallery at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspollack View Post
in my wayward youth, I spend more than that on completely non-functional chrome, for instance (and gobs of other folks spend more on new exhausts, or Stage N kits, etc.).
Ahh, the curse of bling
wspollack likes this.
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 988 Post(s)
Quoted: 3048 Post(s)

First, even when I don’t return to a thread for a day or so, know I’ve read and reread every word of advice posted.

So what’d I just finish doing? I just registered for my first DE on 4/5-6 at New Jersey Motorsports Park. It’s about 180 miles from home. I’ll go out day before, get a hotel and be there bright and shiny Saturday morning.

Thanks to all for the swift kick in the pants I needed. I’m very excited, walking around smiling like a butcher’s dog. I absolutely love to drive fast and to be able to do so in relative safety, without endangering anyone else, without worrying about a ticket or worse. Will be a dream come true. I’ve yet to do it and I already feel the tugs of addiction.

My wife just said “great, but if you get hurt I’ll kill ya.” I said but you are my emergency contact. She said “good, then I’ll know where to come to kill ya.”

Yeah, baby, yeah.

In fact, I think I’ll sign up for a autocross now. :-)
TripleL, mbr and Jellybean like this.
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
First, even when I don’t return to a thread for a day or so, know I’ve read and reread every word of advice posted.

So what’d I just finish doing? I just registered for my first DE on 4/5-6 at New Jersey Motorsports Park. It’s about 180 miles from home. I’ll go out day before, get a hotel and be there bright and shiny Saturday morning.

Thanks to all for the swift kick in the pants I needed. I’m very excited, walking around smiling like a butcher’s dog. I absolutely love to drive fast and to be able to do so in relative safety, without endangering anyone else, without worrying about a ticket or worse. Will be a dream come true. I’ve yet to do it and I already feel the tugs of addiction.

My wife just said “great, but if you get hurt I’ll kill ya.” I said but you are my emergency contact. She said “good, then I’ll know where to come to kill ya.”

Yeah, baby, yeah.

Great, you’re the man! Have fun, and be safe.

That exchange with your wife is really funny.
MDJAK likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Garage

I did 3 Porsche track events 2 @ Monticello motor speedway ( gorgeous track even the instructors loved it)
was really fun not sure if I would track my own car as I don't have the $ for tires,brakes etc
but if you can afford it do it or as others have said pay to go to one of PCNA event centers get the thrill on theirs and it will give you new found confidence in what yours is capable of without the risk.
just my 2cents
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Yeah, baby, yeah.

Check out the insurance requirements. And the safety equipment. Likely need helmet, fire extinguisher. etc. Oh yeah, and watch out for the flying deer. This is real. This is a good reason to have insurance.

TripleL and wspollack like this.
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
Quote:

Yeah, baby, yeah.

Check out the insurance requirements. And the safety equipment. Likely need helmet, fire extinguisher. etc. Oh yeah, and watch out for the flying deer. This is real. This is a good reason to have insurance.

I’ve been to more track days and HPDEs than I can count, across four states. Not one has required track insurance or a fire extinguisher.