LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1318 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3614 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSA7 View Post
911 sits too low making it a PIA getting in and out unless you are young and have a good back. ... Low ground clearance means always being concerned about making sure your route or destination doesn’t involve anyplace where you could scrape your front end. More concern about where you are comfortable parking or valeting. Bigger fear of potholes. Concern about being targeted by police for speeding. Requirement to change summer and winter tires and rims if you live in an area that gets temps under 40 for a good portion of the year. Way too difficult to get my dog in the back seat.

On the other hand, a 911 makes an awesome third car if you have the money and garage space. I have often looked into installing a lift in my 2 car garage.
^^^ I should have added these practical things. I don't think about them because they just "exist". But if you don't routinely do this, it will be a shock to you.

911 sits too low Absolutely, You can touch the ground. As you get older, you will not be happy about this, and its both getting in AND out. AND, if its MT, your knees better be in good shape or you will regret it

Low ground clearance I know how much replacing the front spoiler is. Its not the cost, its the aggravation. Its the aggravation of ordering the part, making appointments, and getting it installed. You have to ALWAYS never forget its there. You have to always take inclines an angles, and NEVER forget, or you will be in for aggravation.

valeting. ROFL - not happening, ever, particularly if its a MT. They can't mess up a PDK so much but MT? LOL, never

potholes. You know how much a new wheel is for a 911?

Sounds like a lot of reason to not buy one, but if they don't matter to you, you're good to go. Of all of them, the following are the most difficult:

Where do you park? Haters going to hate.
Getting in and out
ALWAYS worry about inclines, speed bumps, potholes But it is a good toy.
mbr and erpk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:38 AM
mbr

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
I'm going to go the opposite direction here with some practical advice. Know exactly what you are doing, and here's why.

There will be times when you can't get your other car and you want to carry something you wouldn't otherwise think about. Worse, it could be dirty or muddy and there will be no way you are putting that in your 911

Everything is more expensive. Tires, Service, etc. Understand the total costs, not just the payment costs

No spare tire.

Where you going to park? Do you care about where you take it? How are the haters around you? Meanwhile, the Macan is just another SUV in an Ocean of SUVs. No one cares.

Traffic? You going to sit commuting?

You know how stiff the car is? Somewhere back in this forum, it was found that a Macan on the stiffest suspension setting, is softer than a 911 in normal, never mind with sport suspension in normal or on stiff.

Loud? Do you understand how loud the car can be with with a sport exhaust. Roll down the windows, open the sunroom, run the gears and you will not be having a normal conversation with your passenger in the car.

So, if you can live with the harsh ride, loud exhaust and sound symposer, extra maintenance costs, visibility and haters, lack of space to carry anything, being cautious of where you park, lack of a spare tire, then sure, go for it. Many people do. Just understand what it all means.
Quote:
I considered a 911 as a DD on several occasions. I always come to realize that for me the Macan is a much more desirable DD.

911 sits too low making it a PIA getting in and out unless you are young and have a good back. Sitting low also provides less visibility when everyone else is driving F150s and large SUVs. Getting golf clubs in the back requires removing all your drivers and fairway woods. Less storage requires me to tell my wife she can’t bring her entire closet when we go away for a weekend. Road noise makes it more tiresome on longer drives. Low ground clearance means always being concerned about making sure your route or destination doesn’t involve anyplace where you could scrape your front end. More concern about where you are comfortable parking or valeting. Bigger fear of potholes. Concern about being targeted by police for speeding. Requirement to change summer and winter tires and rims if you live in an area that gets temps under 40 for a good portion of the year. Way too difficult to get my dog in the back seat.

On the other hand, a 911 makes an awesome third car if you have the money and garage space. I have often looked into installing a lift in my 2 car garage.
I agree with all of the above. There absolutely are compromises when driving a 911 daily but I love it. It is noisy (you hear every pebble you run over). It is loud with sport exhaust (i have to turn up the volume when on the phone through bluetooth). It is a very stiff ride (the roads in Florida are pretty good). It is the car I have wanted to drive every day since I was 10 years old. For me the 991 C4S is a great dd and the 993 cab is a fun weekend car. Of course I have access to my wife’s Q7 if needed.
@PMSA7 my lift is being installed in 2 weeks so I can park both 911s in the same garage. Right now, the 993 is in the third garage surrounded by bikes and kids sports equipment I always have to keep it covered in the garage to protect it. I think it will be easier to drive it when stored on the lift than where it is now as I wont have to uncover it, move the bikes, etc to drive it and then recover and replace the bikes etc when I park it! With the lift, just back the 991 out, lower the lift and drive away!

This is the lift I purchased: http://www.challengerlifts.com/car-l...-garage-lifts/
PMSA7 likes this.

2017 991.2 Carrera 4S - GT Silver Metallic. Black/Bordeaux Red. Sport Package. PDK. PASM. PP+. ACC. LCA. FAL. 18-Way Seats. Bose. 20" Carrera Sport Wheels

1997 993 Carrera Cabriolet - Black. Cashmere Beige/Black. 6 speed manual. 17" Cup 2 Wheels

2019 Cayenne Base. Jet Black Metallic. Black/Mojave Beige. PP+. Surround View. Bose. 21" Spyder Wheels
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)

Looking on the positive side, you can usually find very nice deals on nearly new CPO 911's because so many folks realize the downsides to a sports car after they purchased it.
grim, mbr and FLDavid like this.

2018 Porsche Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Sports Chrono, and lots of nice options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)

Quote:
Looking on the positive side, you can usually find very nice deals on nearly new CPO 911's because so many folks realize the downsides to a sports car after they purchased it.
Now cut that out! I'm perfectly happy with my Cayman S.
Unless. . .
mbr likes this.

2017 Macan Volcano Gray Metallic w/nav, panoramic roof &c
2014 Cayman S (6M) triple black
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:28 PM
mbr

I save a lot of time washing the 911 over the Macan and the top of the roof is easier to reach!
Andy B likes this.

2017 991.2 Carrera 4S - GT Silver Metallic. Black/Bordeaux Red. Sport Package. PDK. PASM. PP+. ACC. LCA. FAL. 18-Way Seats. Bose. 20" Carrera Sport Wheels

1997 993 Carrera Cabriolet - Black. Cashmere Beige/Black. 6 speed manual. 17" Cup 2 Wheels

2019 Cayenne Base. Jet Black Metallic. Black/Mojave Beige. PP+. Surround View. Bose. 21" Spyder Wheels
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I used my 997 as a DD for the entire time I had it and it was great. The frunk is surprisingly spacious and I never found the ride too harsh.

I need room for a rear facing car seat and stroller now so I'm in the Macan
TXRed likes this.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post
It's always nice to see a glowing review of the 911
It's a fun car if your daily commute doesn't involve a lot of traffic or bad weather. Right now it lives in Marin and gets driven on the 101 and PCH on the weekends, but it has survived several CO winters as well.

I like the MT but the PDK is a MILLION times better in stop and go.

Also I will say the words that strike fear into every 911 owner: Chinatown Parking Garage.

My garage:

2018 Macan base model (really base model)
2016 911 base model (also really base model)
Bunch of Toyotas
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Garage

If its not a family daily and your winters arent brutal its super doable. You prob need other cars to make it work well.

Former:
15 Turbo - Rhodium Silver on black
18 911 carrera T manual- 480 hp full bolt ons

Current:
17 R8 V10 plus
16 Macan S - Night Blue on Black
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Garage

Thanks everyone all for the thoughts. Many of the things that you all mentioned as to NOT purchase a 911 as my DD confirmed my beliefs, I just didn't know from experience. I lived in Vegas for 10 years with a 3 car garage. New, wide roads, plenty of space, would have been a great place to own a 911 or a small, fun car. Living in the heart of West LA, streets are tight, roads aren't great, I'm not sure how I would fare given that I've driven a SUV for what's going on 8 years.

Part of me wants to trade my Macan now while I can probably still get decent value, perhaps drive the 911 for a year or so until the face lifted Macan Turbo is available. No other car really does it for me, I think I'm stuck to Porsche.

@mbr , I didn't get your PM but would love to hear your thoughts on the two I linked.

Macan Turbo White/Black, Full Leather, 20" SD w Colored Crests, AS, Prem Pack+, High Gloss Black Ext Trim, Alum Gear Shifter, Comfort lighting

Pictures below:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:58 AM
mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by slw23 View Post
Thanks everyone all for the thoughts. Many of the things that you all mentioned as to NOT purchase a 911 as my DD confirmed my beliefs, I just didn't know from experience. I lived in Vegas for 10 years with a 3 car garage. New, wide roads, plenty of space, would have been a great place to own a 911 or a small, fun car. Living in the heart of West LA, streets are tight, roads aren't great, I'm not sure how I would fare given that I've driven a SUV for what's going on 8 years.

Part of me wants to trade my Macan now while I can probably still get decent value, perhaps drive the 911 for a year or so until the face lifted Macan Turbo is available. No other car really does it more me, I think I'm stuck to Porsche.

@mbr , I didn't get your PM but would love to hear your thoughts!
Not sure why it didnt go through. Sending it again.