47Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Default Got a 911 Turbo S!

Hey guys!

I finally replaced my Boxster with a 991.2 Turbo S cabrio (had to be a cabrio - wife's rules) so our Macan Turbo has a proper sibling.

I've been driving it for a couple of days - it's nice, fairly comfy, and very, very fast! - and I noticed a few things. Since it shares a lot of features and options with the Macan, I could make a lot of direct comparisons.

The seats are the 18-way adjustable ones, just like in the Macan, but the ones in the Macan are more comfortable. Not sure why - perhaps a bit wider?

The ceramic brakes bite more. It's not that huge of a difference in feel, but they're definitely more nervous, as I expected.

When it comes to dials, less is more. On the Macan the speed limit indicator is overlaid on the digital screen. On the 911, it's shown in the top section, where on the Macan you have the digital fuel gauge. On the 911 you have to choose between the digital fuel gauge, with range, or the speed limit. Since here in Switzerland the speed limit is really important, I'm stuck with the analog fuel gauge on the right, which isn't well visible because of the steering wheel. Also it could be my imagination (I haven't measured them), but I have the impression that the steering wheel on the 911 is a bit smaller, which further doesn't help with readability of the right- and left-most dials. I get the retro and tradition thing of the 5 dials, but it's less practical!

Both have Burmester audio and as far as I can tell they sound the same. When I test-drove a 911 Turbo S with Burmester (not the one I got, and I didn't have time to experiment much with the audio during the test drive), I was left with the impression that the Macan sounded a lot better. It turns out that when connecting the audio source (the phone) via Bluetooth, you get best results only if you turn the Bluetooth audio on the phone to the maximum and then handle the volume via the car. If the Bluetooth volume is low, it doesn't work well. Since on the Macan I use the jukebox (and DVD-A discs, yes I'm an old fart), I never noticed this.

Also, the 911 has Apple CarPlay, which is nice especially since now they support Google Maps. However this only works when the phone is physically connected to the car's USB port. I read on the Internet that the audio quality is better when connected this way, but in my estimation it is not noticeable.

Both my Macan and the 911 have PDLS+ lights, however the Macan is 2014 and has xenons, while the 911 has the latest laser LED. It's brighter and I have the impression that it responds more to steering. Also, when using the full beam, it has the same effect that seems to "compose" the light (that's what it seems like to me), and it's not an instant-on. However it's faster on the 911. Still, both have amazing lights.

Finally, it's nice to have two cars with pretty much identical steering wheels controls. I loved my Boxster but it was 2010 and where you have now the cruise control stalk it had the function selector, which drove me nuts.

Both the Macan and the 911 have keyless entry (I think it's called something like "Porsche Entry & Go"?) but they don't behave the same. Unlocking the car using the door handles is the same. Closing is not - the Macan is way easier. I haven't figured out exactly what I'm doing wrong on the 911, but it's not as straight-forward as touching the handle with the back of my fingers. Also, opening the frunk just by touching is something I'm far from mastering.

Both have blind spot monitor but there's no button on the 911 to turn it off. Not that I particularly want to, but I was surprised to see the little button in the mirror control section is not there. Also, the warning lights on the 911 are red, on the Macan are orange. I don't remember what color they're on the new Panamera, but consistency would be preferable in my opinion.

I like having the driving mode switch next to the wheel. It's better than in the Macan. I guess the new Macan has this too? I haven't had the courage nor opportunity to press the "sport response" (aka "hyperspace") button on the 911. I used it in the past on a C4S and it was mental, I guess on a Turbo S it's closer to lethal.

The 4-wheel steering thing is very odd and I really like it. At low speeds it feels a bit like the car is turning on a dime, and it significantly reduces the turning circle.

I'm really looking forward to taking a bit of time off and taking the 911 for a longer drive. Enjoy the photos! I will add some more this weekend, when I have more time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (404.7 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg corner.jpg (239.5 KB, 145 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solis View Post
Hey guys!

I'm really looking forward to taking a bit of time off and taking the 911 for a longer drive. Enjoy the photos! I will add some more this weekend, when I have more time.
Congrats!

Looks awesome.

Include a top down photo in your next set of pictures.

2018 Porsche Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Sports Chrono, and lots of nice options.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)

Yikes -- what a beast!
. . . and congratulations on your wife's excellent taste

2017 Macan Volcano Gray Metallic w/nav, panoramic roof &c
2014 Cayman S (6M) triple black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)

That's just plain awesome! Congrats!

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Garage

Congratulations & drive it in good health! Would love to see more pics, please. Don't just tease us!
Shark likes this.

2016 Macan Turbo in Dark Blue Metallic.
2017 911 GTS in Night Blue Metallic
2008 911 Turbo Cab in Speed Yellow
2016 Ford F-150 Limited in Magnetic Metallic
2017 Porsche GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

you are living my dream. Congrats!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Garage

Congratulations @solis ! It's a very, very nice car; those air intakes and the sober wing make it look hot and smart at the same time. As you say, here in Switzerland the speed limit is very important, and such a monster can easily put a driver in trouble with the Via Sicura rules. You may know that on top of google maps, Waze also works on CarPlay.

I wish you plenty of (safe) miles of joy in your new 911 TTS. It would be great to cross each other one day on our ebony and ivory 911 cabrios.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 671 Post(s)
Quoted: 3313 Post(s)

Awesome !! Just awesome !!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Congratulations! Safe motoring with your fantastic ride.
(GITS + Porsche + Switzerland > isch ä guete Mix)

/ delivered Sep16
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)

It's freaking awesome! Congrats!!

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, SSK, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso