31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwahl View Post
I have had the experience of owning a couple of Lotus cars. There was no service at the time, so you had to be creative or the cars would not go. Also, if I had a problem with my Ferrari in eastern nowhere who are you going to call on? Exotics are fun but like electric cars they are limited in range. With 911 you can probably get it running even in Grand Island, Nebraska. It may be boring to drive, but it probably will get you there.
On the Contrary, my Loti had Toyota motors - pretty much anyone can work on those. The "exotic" bits and pieces are, by design, pretty simple. I really had very little trouble with the Lotus cars; but maybe I'm charmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb545
Do you think if the C4 had SC, it may have been a keeper? I am a future owner learning as much as I can about 911s - how is the drive in the T different from the C4? Do you drive the T in sports plus mode usually?
My opinion is, if you are getting a Porsche, get SC. You likely won't want it on all the time, but you'll want the ability to turn it on. I do believe it can be retrofit in most P Cars too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)

I recently went to my first Porsche driving experience at NJ Motorsports Park. When I drove the 718 Cayman 2.5 turbo 4 and a 911 GT3 on the track and in an autocross track I now decided that the Cayman 718 will be in my garage in a year or so. I liked it that much. The 911 was a screamer but that 718 was so well balanced and was just such a fun ride.
So I can't fault anyone on their preferences for a sport coupe. My coworker who has the means to get anything he wants bought a Shelby Mustang and says he feels like a kid again.
So @rhoyle get whatever you want whether it's a Miata or a Ferrari. I personally will stick to Porsche's since I think their cars are great without having to pay supercar prices to get the well designed thrill ride I desire.
Gobbi and 981GTS like this.

2015 Macan S in rhodium silver, black 14 ways,PASM, LCA, LKA,ACC,3 zone, smokers pkg (non smoker),comfort lights, trailer hitch, entertainment, premium pkg., 19" AS Michelins, 19" Turbo wheels.
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 972 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkb545 View Post
Do you think if the C4 had SC, it may have been a keeper? I am a future owner learning as much as I can about 911s - how is the drive in the T different from the C4? Do you drive the T in sports plus mode usually?
@Jkb545 Yes, I do think the C4 would have been a keeper if it had SC. PSE would've also been nice but not a necessity. Unfortunately, with the 991.2 you can't retrofit SC, at least not easily or cheaply. The engine mounts, which can be sourced, are different and you need the dial on the steering wheel, wiring, etc. Much different than doing it on the Macan.

Also, the T has the available RAS which mine has and it make straight line tracking, turn in, and changing lanes on the highway feel much better and more secure.

But trading in vehicles soon after purchase, as I do, causes one to take a big bath financially and so with the C4, had it had SC I would have kept it. And I should have know not to buy it without that, but wanting AWD, C4 in my price range were hard to come by. I don't order cars. Just dumb, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Welp. Yesterday was the maiden trip to the track for my 997 C2S Cab. We headed out with new rear rubber, new rear brakes, fresh oil and fresh brake/clutch fluid. Ready to rock.

It just reaffirmed my initial thoughts about the car. Iím not in love. Itís time to move on. Anyone in the market for a very nice midnight blue/saddle 08 Carrera S Cabriolet, shoot me a note...
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:19 PM

I think the simple answer is if you had my talent on the racetrack (where I've never been until this upcoming Wednesday) and could wring out even half the capability of that car, you'd love it.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, Practice, Practice.
ABusLux likes this.
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyle View Post
Welp. Yesterday was the maiden trip to the track for my 997 C2S Cab. We headed out with new rear rubber, new rear brakes, fresh oil and fresh brake/clutch fluid. Ready to rock.

It just reaffirmed my initial thoughts about the car. Iím not in love. Itís time to move on. Anyone in the market for a very nice midnight blue/saddle 08 Carrera S Cabriolet, shoot me a note...
Pics and video or didn't happen.
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Haha. Itís not so much about speed or capabilities, Iím plenty fast in the car and itís clearly quite capable. In fact, I was seeing speeds 13mph faster in the long straight than my M Roadster could manage (which isnít insignificant).

Iím so fast, in fact, that I got blue flagged when my rear license plate flew off; which makes for a good story.

It just doesnít move me. Iíll throw up some pics when I have a minute.
MDJAK and ABusLux like this.
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:33 PM

I'm glad it isn't so much capability as I probably have very little. We shall see.

First up is Autocross, which I've watched once or twice and wasn't overly thrilled with. Glad it's their cars and not mine.

Then it's follow the leader around the track.

Then hot laps with an instructor driving. And I'm easily scared.
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyle View Post
The 911 isn't really that quick, it's definitely not exotic or rare, it's not very comfortable, and with the top down, its flat out loud and windy.
That's interesting.

After I purchased my Macan and was awaiting delivery, I was at the dealer one day looking at the vehicles on the Showroom floor, sitting in a 911. The Sales Manager came up to me (by then we were friends) and commented that a 911 wasn't really for me; he used much the same terminology as you saying it was "loud", "uncomfortable" and "windy". Unless you were going to track it or just wanted a status symbol, he argued the Macan was much more practical and enjoyable for me.

Tastes also change the older one gets. In college I had a 1953 Triumph TR3 (by then a classic), followed by a 1972 MGB. I almost always drove both of them with the top down (even in the middle of winter, all bundled up) ..... and loved both those cars. A few years ago I sat in a MGB (40+ years later) and was surprised how small and uncomfortable it was. I'm sure the experience of driving those two cars today would be dramatically different. Tastes change with time. While I loved the TR3 and MGB in the early 70s, I seriously doubt the same would be true today.

I love the comfort and performance of my Macan S.

[I hasten to add that too many guys wrongly regard their wives like their car - i.e., time to trade in after a few years of wear and tear. Wrong. My wife is like a bottle of very fine wine ..... she gets better and better with age. My love for my wife increases day by day. :-) ]
PygmyOctopus likes this.

Last edited by rcdancer; 09-21-2018 at 02:24 PM.
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdancer View Post
Tastes change with time.
And for some of us, body size changes with time If we still had the Lotus Elise, oh man would it be a struggle for me to get in and out of it with the top on now.
981GTS, rcdancer and AZPorschedude like this.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills