When did Range Rover follow Porsche's way of expensive la carte options? - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Default When did Range Rover follow Porsche's way of expensive la carte options?

https://youtu.be/L22FPrR8v3Q

$90+k lux suv missing lots of features?

$1500 extra just to get a safety feature standard on many other cars?

Thought Porsche was the king of this? When did they follow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)

Total BS!

I don’t get it that people pay big $$$ for a RR unless they are after some serious off-roading. How brilliant the RR marketing has made RR a luxury performance car!

My friend bought his RR at the same time I bought my 2015 Macan S. Mine cost $60k and his cost north of $70k. I rode in his RR last year. The car drove like sh*t compared to Macan and it already showed aging after 3 years. You won’t tell it’s a luxury car from outside, very similar to a Ford. Interior is no where near the level of the Macan.

The only benefit my friend got out of it was a free off-road driving session. LOL
RidgeRunner0207 and TheBrit2 like this.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
Total BS!

I don’t get it that people pay big $$$ for a RR unless they are after some serious off-roading. How brilliant the RR marketing has made RR a luxury performance car!

My friend bought his RR at the same time I bought my 2015 Macan S. Mine cost $60k and his cost north of $70k. I rode in his RR last year. The car drove like sh*t compared to Macan and it already showed aging after 3 years. You won’t tell it’s a luxury car from outside, very similar to a Ford. Interior is no where near the level of the Macan.

The only benefit my friend got out of it was a free off-road driving session. LOL
Did you read the comment section 😄 ? Lesser things standard lesser things broken 😄

Did Tata Motors improve the quality of LRRR since taking over? Any owners here mind to share? 😄
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:04 PM

I don’t even bother to read any RR comments. Not interested in a bit.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1277 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3385 Post(s)

"Porsche's way of expensive la carte options?"

All American cars used to be this way. You specced your new Ford or Chevy they way "you" wanted it. Mini is like this. It's usually just the Japanese cars that have trim levels which load up options.

Why would you want to buy something you don't want? We've been over this many time. Why should I be forced to buy power windows and power seats when I don't want them buty you do? Bespoke pricing is the only fair way to allow the customers to buy exactly what they want.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:35 PM

Point taken.

However, modern efficient production process really limits how one can spec a car, such as no power window or door. Hand crank windows actually cost more to mfg today than power windows.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Garage
Default When did Range Rover follow Porsche's way of expensive la carte options?

We just bought... and for this exact reason it took me months to find one. My wife finally had to compromise on color scheme.

We were giving up a LOADED QX60... so to get everything that she already had, was a pain in the a$$. We basically had to buy the Luxury Pkg to get everything if we didnt want to shop around. But the LUX Pkg is overkill for us. OR, we could have just spec built it... but my wife does not share the same affinity for cars that I do... so waiting 2-3 months for exactly what she wanted was not worth it in her eyes. The time passed would translate into this is a waste of money, etc.

We gave up rear seat DVD screens for the kids... but they dont ever use them anymore. We finally found one with everything she had in options, and more. It ended up a HSE (non Luxury), but with a Diesel engine (i wanted the diesel by the end of this adventure). And I should have mentioned earlier, Im referring to the Discovery here, and not a RR.

Ill be happy to offer feedback throughout our ownership, as I am scared out of my mind for what we may encounter.... But, I have been in love with the Discovery for a long time. Medium sized SUV with a true off-road heart topped off with some cushy luxury. The Diesel engine has rave reviews and should last for many years. Well see if the electronic gremlins were unleashed within when this one was built.

My wife and I are both SUV people at heart (hence the three 4Runners Ive owned before the Macan)... and she always wanted to get back into one. Im the one who pushed for the LR.

Well see how this goes!

P.S. - the 825 watt Meridian sound system is RIDICULOUS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
Point taken.

However, modern efficient production process really limits how one can spec a car, such as no power window or door. Hand crank windows actually cost more to mfg today than power windows.
But you know I was just using that as an older example. Cruise Control is another, along with AC. Both used to be expensive options. Today, try to find a car where these features are not part of the basic car. As time shifts, so do the bespoke options.

Some people want keyless entry. Others do not. Some people want HIDs, others are fine with Halogens. This forum wants LEDs. They are no brighter, its all in their minds. Consumer Reports did some testing and some Halogens were better at lighting the road than HIDs. Etc. The features might change, but the principle is the same. Bespoke optioning allows freedom of choice. Packing the cars with options means the car is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

I've seen this complaining here since the forum started. But BUT my Lexus had ... something. So what? Go buy a Lexus. Do buyers really think Porsche is going to change their pricing structure because they got some option bundled on a Lexus? Why don't they understand Value Based Pricing? Its very simple. They get the prices because "they can". Don't like it? Don't buy it. Someone else will. If value based pricing didn't work out for them, then they would change the model. Do you see it happening?
Jshore, jzwu and Dkayak like this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)

Well said @grim . I don't care for moonroofs let alone huge pana roofs. Most lux brands and even Honda, Suby etc force you to get the huge glass roofs to move up to a higher trim level. I like Porsche's a la carte options customizable pricing.
jzwu likes this.

2015 Macan S in rhodium silver, black 14 ways,PASM, LCA, LKA,ACC,3 zone, smokers pkg (non smoker),comfort lights, trailer hitch, entertainment, premium pkg., 19" AS Michelins, 19" Turbo wheels.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshore View Post
Well said @grim . I don't care for moonroofs let alone huge pana roofs. Most lux brands and even Honda, Suby etc force you to get the huge glass roofs to move up to a higher trim level. I like Porsche's a la carte options customizable pricing.
Whenever I see people complaining about the bespoke pricing strategy, all I see is "Its all about ME ME ME!!!" They want everyone else to buy what "THEY" want, and not what the OTHER people want. No. I will order my car, or buy my car, how I WANT. Not how "you" think it should be. And I do not want to pay for your options that YOU think are important Even worse, the car is the lowest common denominator. Nothing bundled is "free". Nothing is free. You pay for it in the price of the car. If Porsche were to add all the options people "want", the price would skyrocket.

When you take your family out for dinner, or go with a large group, does everyone order the same food? Or do people order what "they" like. Grrr .... Or everyone could just order the same bowl of gruel

Its all about me. If I specced someone's boxster/cayman/911 , they would not like it all. It would be devoid of fluff options, totally stripped. No radio, no PCM, the stiffest springs, nothing but performance options. Few people would like it. Why shouldn't all Porsche be ordered like that? See how that works?
Jshore likes this.

Last edited by grim; 03-18-2019 at 03:49 PM.