• 1 Post By bong477
  • 1 Post By Chris in Philly

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Default Loaner - 2019 Base Cayenne

Brought my Macan in due to a suspected faulty MAS and for a brake service, and since it is approaching 3-1/2 years old, to get it CPO inspected for Extended Warranty. So, Porsche gave me a brand new base Cayenne with just 20km on the Odometer as a loaner. It is a baser than base vehicle, so can't comment on the aesthetics or comfort features; it doesn't even have memory seats.

There have been some comments from various Porsche Sales Representatives that the new Cayenne now drives more like a Macan. The interesting thing for me is that in a straight line, it still feels big and heavy, but I was pleasantly surprised when I threw it into a corner, it did feel a lot more agile than the old Cayenne. The power-to-weight and torque-to-weight ratios sit squarely in between the new Macan and new Macan S, so are the 0-100km/h and 0-160km/h numbers. Definitely feels more peppy than the old base Cayenne; and the fuel economy is seemly better than the old Cayenne. The 8 speed gearbox was also very smooth. Good on Porsche.

Clean windows is extremely important to me, especially driving here in the winter with all the salt being thrown up by all the cars around. The front washers produce a fan shaped spray which works way better than the Macan's. The rear waster sprays are an absolute piece of crap; two little sprays that spray to the corner of the window!

I really like the way the new shift lever works; push to gear down and pull to gear up. However the function of the shift lever is completely new which needs getting used to which at the same time I don't like; for me it borders nearly as bad as the MB GLE43's that I also had as a loaner for a couple of weeks. But I'm older and don't like change from the traditional; so I'll put that on me.

The new big PCM screen is really nice, but too many functions have been put on it that used to be a single touch through the 'fighter jet' buttons of the older models. For example, one too many key strokes to turn off the Auto-Off function; and there are only two key strokes to do that. Since the fighter jet sea of buttons is now missing, that brings me to the new glass touch buttons; I absolutely hate them. It is so flat and feel like a rocking sheet of glass when depressed that gives the impression that no effort was put into the design and makes it look and feel cheap. Even the button panel on the doors for the window and mirror functions is flat and cheap looking and feeling. The worst part of the cheap buttons is the new headlight controls.

The deal breaker for me is the new dashboard. The right 4/5 is very nice, but the last left gauge only displays the outside temperature. Initially I thought it is because this is a baser-than-base Cayenne and therefore did not have additional functions which is the case; but I did some googling for user manuals and other other pictures and videos of the new Cayenne, and what I gather is that the other potential functions of the left gauge is (quoting the Porsche video) "Up to 3 road signs and the outside temperature". OMG, what a waste of valuable space which makes the whole otherwise beautiful dash ugly and non-sporty. Because of this, I tried looking up the pictures and videos of the 992, and every one only shows a digital clock and outside temperature. Hopefully someone can set me right and educate me on more functions for the left-most gauge.

Just my opinion.
vandit, yrralis1, sergeyb and 1 others like this.

Last edited by kennethw; 01-09-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Platform, motor and ZF gearbox are shared with '19 Q7. Obviously there's much more part sharing, but I'm just listing what's on the surface. Both are now assembled @ a joint facility in Slovakia.

I recently looked up local prices according to Edmunds TMV, and the reported discounts were in the 4% range.

Embarrassing ? Nah, that's called show business. ©

Last edited by Finbar Hoad; 01-09-2019 at 01:09 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)

Good review @kennethw . I had a Cayenne loaner last year and was underwhelmed. I recently had a bare bones base Macan loaner and I was impressed with it.Next time I'll ask for a new base Cayenne loaner to check out the improvements but at a higher price point.

2015 Macan S in rhodium silver, black 14 ways,PASM, LCA, LKA,ACC,3 zone, smokers pkg (non smoker),comfort lights, trailer hitch, entertainment, premium pkg., 19" AS Michelins, 19" Turbo wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Base Macan loaner during 911 service made me want one, eventually bought a gts.

Cayenne loaner during Macan service made me want the macan back. If you need a bigger car than a Macan but can still do with a 2 row suv and aren't very price concerned it's pretty nice. I'd take it over our prior Lexus rx for example (granted it is much more expensive optioned similarly). But to me it drives like a suv, it's Porsche expensive, only has 2 rows, and is not really big enough to be comfortable with more than 2 kids.
jzwu likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 2083 Post(s)

Cayenne is a different beast than Macan. Putting lipstick on a pig doesn't make it a fox.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)

I also had a 2019 base Cayanne as a loaner recently, and pretty much agree with everything the OP said. The weight reduction diet has definitely helped.

I have to say though that two years ago I was lucky enough to get an old generation Cayenne Turbo demonstrator with PDCC for several days while the dealer was waiting for a part for me. Now that was a completely different animal. There's just nothing like a V8.

And the PDCC is even more remarkable, apparently a relatively rare option so I'm not sure how many of you have experienced it, but it was quite remarkable in the way that it was able to tame all that weight. You could tell that all the weight was there, but when you pushed it hard in curves and on entrance and exit ramps it's simply felt like it was not being pushed hard at all. Sort of like PTV in the Macan, but a very different sensation.

Not sure if they are going to offer PDCC on the new Cayanne turbo, but if you need more room and they have it, it would sure be interesting. The problem is the price, absolutely in the stratosphere.
sergeyb likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

Great review with plenty of details.

The Cayenne is not really attractive to me not only because of mechanic side, but also the feeling in the driving seat. Sure, the space is bigger compared to Macan, but it does not feel like a sport car anymore, the surrounding space/height etc does not give me the feeling; The additional space shifts me from driving sports car mode to relax mode, but then why am I getting a Porsche? Why not a brand new Q8?

Just ordered new Macan GTS.
Waiting time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just arrived
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Enjoying it every minute