45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdancer View Post
On the other hand, JD Power's 2018 3-year reliability study places Audi far below Porsche (and BMW) ...

2018 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study | J.D. Power
The rank is much lower but there’s not much spread from top to bottom. Even average reliability is quite good, although each brand has its “problem child” models, some with many more than others.

Over 3 years time, an Audi (or Honda) gives you about 1.4 repairs vs 1 for Porsche and 2 for Rover. Going from Porsche to Audi is not a big deal statistically.

Btw, does anyone know what “average” looked like 10 or 20 years ago?
mbr, Shark and SoCalS5 like this.

17 Macan, Carrara White with Agate
17 Cayenne S, White with Black/Luxor Beige
'20 Specialized Roubaix Pro (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage

My X5 was towed 3 times last year. Down and undrivable for 58 days.
Year before? In the shop for 108 days. All on a car with warranty.
I don't hate the car. I distrust the dealer and the manufacturer.
Call the manufacturer, its a dealer franchise issue. Call the dealership, its a service and union mechanic issue.

Your car has been towed once? Don't worry about it. This too will pass.
If they are offering you a loaner? Do ask what the deductible is on the "free" loaner. Know what you are liable for.
My "free" loaners often come with a $5ooo-$1o,ooo deductible. I take the shuttle and the bus.

I'm guessing battery on your Q7. Funny voltage reeks havoc in today's complicated electronics.
IMG_6059.jpg
Rosmoss, mbr and AZPorschedude like this.

Mid Life crisis?
NO... it's been pretty constant.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)

Not sure where you are located but wouldn't this trigger a lemon law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Call the manufacturer, its a dealer franchise issue. Call the dealership, its a service and union mechanic issue.

If they are offering you a loaner? Do ask what the deductible is on the "free" loaner. Know what you are liable for.
My "free" loaners often come with a $5ooo-$1o,ooo deductible. I take the shuttle and the bus.

I'm guessing battery on your Q7. Funny voltage reeks havoc in today's complicated electronics.
Attachment 211904

Delivered on 02/11/2015: Macan S Agate Gray | Black Int w/carbon fiber | 20" RS with colored crest cap | 14-way Seats | PASM/AS | Prem+ | High Gloss Trim | Rear Fascia and Side Blades painted | Park Assist/cam | Heated Steering Wheel | LCA | 3-Zone | Smoking Pkg | Comfort Lighting |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by santastico View Post
Not sure where you are located but wouldn't this trigger a lemon law?
Despite the high number of days it had been out of service, in most if not all states if the car has been correctly repaired now BMW would have a valid legal defense to a lemon law action.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
I have never been an Audi fan . Back in the days of the famous early 1980's 60 minute presentation of the car going bonkers I worked with a guy who had that model. His did ok but it was a constant concern.
I'm pretty sure that got partially debunked as it turned out that 60 Minutes falsified the demonstration.

2018 GTS Sapphire Blue
Garnet red/black leather pkg, Prem. Pkg+, PTV+, Steering Wheel Heating, Cargo Mgmt, Seat Ventilation, Sport Mirrors, LCA, ParkAssist w/Surround View, LED/PDLS+, Connect, 18-way seats, Sport Chrono, Sport Chrono clock in Garnet red, smoking pkg, sideblades painted, Cobb AccessPort, Flat6 intakes

2014 RS 5 Sepang Blue
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
mbr

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)

Quote:
Battery is ok. They tested it. Dealer still not sure what problem is and involving regional technical rep. They think it is CAN bus failure so essentially the car is brain dead. Just glad it happened in a parking lot and not on the road! Need them to fix the car so we can sell it. Just still not sure what we are going to replace it with.
I am trying to convince my wife to give me the ok to drive a a stick again and take @yrralis1 idea and buy the 911T for me and give my Macan to her. She would only have to drive the T when I need the extra room in the Macan. So far my best argument is that a stick wont get stuck in drive or park like her Q7 did

2017 991.2 Carrera 4S - GT Silver Metallic. Black/Bordeaux Red. Sport Package. PDK. PASM. PP+. ACC. LCA. FAL. 18-Way Seats. Bose. 20" Carrera Sport Wheels

1997 993 Carrera Cabriolet - Black. Cashmere Beige/Black. 6 speed manual. 17" Cup 2 Wheels

2019 Cayenne Base. Jet Black Metallic. Black/Mojave Beige. PP+. Surround View. Bose. 21" Spyder Wheels
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)

Quote:

Attachment 211904
Check your insurance policy. You might be pleasantly surprised. Most cover rental cars and most of those also cover loaners.
mbr likes this.

17 Macan, Carrara White with Agate
17 Cayenne S, White with Black/Luxor Beige
'20 Specialized Roubaix Pro (2)
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr View Post
Battery is ok. They tested it. Dealer still not sure what problem is and involving regional technical rep. They think it is CAN bus failure so essentially the car is brain dead. Just glad it happened in a parking lot and not on the road! Need them to fix the car so we can sell it. Just still not sure what we are going to replace it with.
I am trying to convince my wife to give me the ok to drive a a stick again and take @yrralis1 idea and buy the 911T for me and give my Macan to her. She would only have to drive the T when I need the extra room in the Macan. So far my best argument is that a stick wont get stuck in drive or park like her Q7 did
Your best argument for the stick is to offer to lease a Honda Civic or CRV (if needed as a third car) . For under 300 bucks a month it preserves miles , gives both of you a worry free car, and offers space . It resolves the manual issue . That T is a nice car and the best part is that it right there . It's a 2018 car so its fair game for a discount . The price jump from the repaired Audi to the T would be minimal . You end up with two amazing Porsches and a third car that's the mediating factor.

Now there is one wild card .. what if your wife drives the T and loves it ? It's not as though it cant happen.The T so far on this forum has hit home runs with every person who bought one.
Imagine this .. in her shoes .. she's got this bizarre and worrisome A7 in shop. Plus its a boring car even when it runs correctly . Then suddenly she has two amazing new cars instead of it .
mbr likes this.
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasetsu View Post
I'm pretty sure that got partially debunked as it turned out that 60 Minutes falsified the demonstration.
I am not so sure about that . But see for yourself. The irony is that his current A7 also has an electrical issue .
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdancer View Post
On the other hand, JD Power's 2018 3-year reliability study places Audi far below Porsche (and BMW) ...

2018 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study | J.D. Power
Interesting! Much like the media just change the channel and you get different results. There must be truth somewhere.