User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default Ordering Macan S in New York

Hi. I have been looking to get a macan s, I live in NYC. I think I want pasm, which doesn't seem to be on any of the cars on the dealer's sites Ive looked at.Anybody have a recommendation about a dealer within 3-400 miles or so that I can order from.
I've never ordered a car, is it complicated?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

I- and my daughter - dealt w/ Manhattan Motors
very nice to deal with

The one out Long Island is nice too - but a long way out
Southampton

Last edited by Willie Web; 05-15-2019 at 03:58 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage

I dealt with Town Motors (Englewood, NJ - just over the GWB) and, to date, it's been simple and easy.

1952 Cushman 711 Highlander
1995 Buell S2 Thunderbolt
2008 Buell XB12SX
1959 MGA
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2015 Ford F-350 SuperDuty Lariat (10,000 miles) - SOLD 04012019
2017 Audi S5 Cabriolet
2017 F-250 Ford SuperDuty Lariat
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - FOR SALE
2019 Macan (Ordered 3/7/2019)
2019 Audi S5 Prestige Cabriolet (Ordered 3/8/2019)
Gads . . . we have a real problem here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

There is a closer Long Island dealer - Gold Coast - just got a new showroom. I'm not sure what their stock is right now but I'll be at their grand opening party tomorrow and can see.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Grand Opening might be a good time for a deal !!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Default Personalizing and Ordering

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjon View Post
Hi. I have been looking to get a macan s, I live in NYC. I think I want pasm, which doesn't seem to be on any of the cars on the dealer's sites Ive looked at.Anybody have a recommendation about a dealer within 3-400 miles or so that I can order from.
I've never ordered a car, is it complicated?
Thanks
Some thoughts for you, in addition to the NYC-area dealer suggestions already made by others.

I had ordered only one car before ordering our '18 S, in my 50 years of buying cars. That was a Mazda 3 hatch, in the first year that they came out, I think. That was a trivial experience with our local Mazda dealer, because it wasn't so much choosing among hundreds of options as just waiting a month or so for the color we wanted.

Personalizing:

Ordering a Porsche, I discovered in 2017, is a whole 'nother realm. What happens here is that you get to personalize the car, if you like, to your tastes and budget, so very few cars wind up with the same set of options.

The first thing, I'd say, that you have to do is settle on an engine and its state of tune: Base, S, GTS, Turbo, and Turbo with PPK; at least that has been the case for the last four or five years with the Macan.

By whatever means -- test drives are my recommendation, or seeming delivery availability and EPA and CARB approval of the latest models, or some other factor -- you indicate that you've picked the S, so that's done.

Next, you have to just go through the options available on Porsche's on-line Configurator, https://www.porsche.com/usa/modelsta...delrange=macan . And start considering and picking options.

If you need help with this, that's what the folks on this forum will provide.

For instance, there's an option called Cargo Management System (CMS). I had no idea what that was, and two years ago the additional "Info" button for that said, in its entirety, "Cargo Management System." (It's a much better explanation now -- I just looked.) So I asked about it here, and was provided with a full explanation, links to videos, etc.

Similarly, many folks ask about the utility and desirability of the various suspension and handling options.

So you do that research here, or ask an SA various questions, and so forth, and you come up with a Build, i.e., you tell the Configurator to save your combination of options, and it will do so, with a unique identifier. And you can save off as many as you like, and eventually provide an SA with one of them -- and maybe the folks here, first -- as they have access to them, given your build ID.

After doing our build, I did another one, throwing everything possible at an S. That build wound up just north of $140K -- starting with an S -- so the other point to keep in mind is that you have to be selective, unless your budget makes that sort of thing chump change.

Ordering:

You can submit your build to any P dealer you like, or multiple ones, anywhere in the country, as far as I know. An SA may offer you a price, will probably want to make suggestions regarding adding this or that to your build, and so forth.

There are long threads here on discounts obtained by using dealerships in various parts of the country. If you can't find them, just ask.

If you're most comfortable dealing with a local dealership, and you want to build rapport, then you have the suggestions earlier in this thread.

If that's not that important to you, you can work with dealerships farther afield. I've read some posts here about folks buying distant cars, and having them shipped in enclosed trailers to them (possibly negotiating with the selling dealership regarding transport charges).

Another option is taking delivery at the Atlanta or Los Angeles Porsche Experience Center (PEC); see https://www.porschedriving.com/ . Or in Germany, for that matter, and there are a few threads here from folks who've done that. If you can afford the time and travel costs, that seems hard to beat.

Back to the US, if you specify (near the end of the Configurator) one of those two PECs, your car will be delivered there, and, based on their scheduling needs, you'll be given a choice of dates to pick it up. You get a lunch, a tour, and an hour-and-a-half of driving. You can get an idea of what that's all about in some threads here, or even an article from a few days ago in Automobile's site: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/9...nce-center-la/

My wife and I chose to have delivery at the Atlanta PEC. This was in Oct. 2017, for an 2018 S ordered in Aug. 2017. And it was right before Porsche started charging c. $400. In any event, you still have to foot the bill for lodging and other travel costs.

We live in the Albany area -- ya know, your capital -- and wound up buying from a dealer in Atlanta. This is complete coincidence regarding being in the same city as the Atlanta PEC, so don't get confused with that. But it brings up this aspect of buying: if you're taking delivery at one of the two PECs or in Germany, it doesn't matter where you buy the car, in the sense that the car will NOT be delivered to that dealer. Just something else to keep in mind.

In our case, we've never been to that dealership, and never met the SA. This was all done via phone, email, FedEx, etc. At the end of my gallery (link below), you can see how we made a nice vacation drive home out of that.

So, I hope you find some of this useful and germane to your question.
fuzzypixel likes this.

Cheers,

Bill P.

2018 Macan S (Delivered at PEC in October 2017, gallery at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Incredibly helpful.
Thanks
So , are there actually 2019 S's on the street now, as the vast majority of dealer sites I have looked at say most, (all?) of the cars are in transit.
So , for the process.
If I negotiate a satisfactory price, then what?
A deposit, and then pay when it arrives?
I plan on getting outside financing, with down payment of $30-35k

John
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage

>>>>So , are there actually 2019 S's on the street now, as the vast majority of dealer sites I have looked at say most, (all?) of the cars are in transit.

There are 2019 Macan S models on the street . . . . I passed 2 (actually they passed me) in Wellington, FL last weekend.

Most of the 2019 Macans (the huge majority of what Porsche sells are base models) are in transit. My dealer, for example, has 104 Macans listed on their website and 16 a "S" models ( 2 - 2018 and 14 - 2019). They have 2 2019 Man S in stock available for sale.

The process is easy. . . . I've never sat in a Macan, still never have. Just walked in . . . talked to the dealer a bit . . . found a "happy spot" on a deal. . . left a deposit and from time to time he sends me updates on production. Did the same thing the following day down the street at Audi and I must say that Audi sends some very cool "We're building something special . . YOUR CAR" update e-mails.

We have the Macan being delivered (it's currently sitting in the Port of Jacksonville) to the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta and I've arranged for the dealer to send me all the paperwork so I can get insurance, tags and so forth prior to going there. When the dealer gets the VIN you can pay them (cash, financing, whatever you prefer) whenever is agreed to, prior to delivery. Pretty simple it seems.

There's a lot of hoopla over the current 2019 delivery issues . . . but I am in no hurry . . the one we have coming is kind of a spare for our weekend place in the Hudson Valley and we bought it because we liked the looks and it's about $15k cheaper than the Ford pickup we bought to keep there.
wspollack likes this.

1952 Cushman 711 Highlander
1995 Buell S2 Thunderbolt
2008 Buell XB12SX
1959 MGA
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2015 Ford F-350 SuperDuty Lariat (10,000 miles) - SOLD 04012019
2017 Audi S5 Cabriolet
2017 F-250 Ford SuperDuty Lariat
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - FOR SALE
2019 Macan (Ordered 3/7/2019)
2019 Audi S5 Prestige Cabriolet (Ordered 3/8/2019)
Gads . . . we have a real problem here.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I would suggest going to a dealer and driving a few different ones. For example, we prefer 18 way seats-others find the seats uncomfortable. Dealer tried steering us toward 4 cylinder but we ended up going with an S. The extra HP is always useful and preferred smoother throttle response.

We built one on configurator and emailed a few dealers. Local dealer would not discount and have never been back to see them.
wspollack likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjon View Post
If I negotiate a satisfactory price, then what?
A deposit, and then pay when it arrives?
I plan on getting outside financing, with down payment of $30-35k

John
Yep. We put down $4K on our mid-$60K order.

With our PEC delivery, you have to pay the dealer in full a week or two before your scheduled appointment, so the dealer can then tell PEC that the deal is complete (or PEC won't release the car to you, after you've had lunch and driven their similar, broken-in, car like a maniac).

And we also financed about half (although that's not relevant to the dealer -- just another check to them).

Cheers,

Bill P.

2018 Macan S (Delivered at PEC in October 2017, gallery at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)