User Tag List

45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Default Cobb v206 for Turbos - is this finally it?

I’ve taken the BGB plunge to do a custom tune to get my Macan turbo running smoothly and will post full details when finished - but until then I thought id throw out the fact that v206 from Cobb is today out on the AP for those wanting to review it.

In doing all this I have a theory that for us turbo owners, the Cobb tune isn’t necessarily bad, but it might be the diverter valves - something that gets little press here so far.

So I’ll also start this thread to ask folks about an issue I believe I have relating to diverter valve leaks to see if others have seen this. Rather than try to describe it - I’ll post a link that shows it in all its ingloriousness below, albeit on a GTS.

https://youtu.be/w1XX5FTTgoo

Https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_AH...w?ups=drivesdk

Above is a link to my personal experience.

I believe mine are failing as I’ve experienced it more with every hope that the new Cobb map would fix the intermittent issues.

I did this video in seventh gear to show the boost dropping while the rpms stay steady/increase to show my foot is still on the throttle while not giving the PDK a gear to upshift into. Furthermore I believe that this happens in lower gears, but when it occurs, especially in the torquey turbos, the PDK interprets the torque drop as accelerator let off -meaning we are done trying to accelerate more aggressively and (erroneously) upshifts, especially in comfort mode which it probably does to get better gas mileage. If the boost then rebuilds or you apply more gas - the car gets confused at your intent and is what many turbo owners have complained about.

This boost drop still happens in sport mode under partial throttle around 2-3k rpms but the PDK is less eager to upshift so it’s currently less noticeable. It does NOT happen in WOT because the car is in lockdown mode where it interprets your input as “haul ass” and does so without intervention and sole goal to put the power down.

In light of this - I will have the diverter valves replaced ($600-$800 parts plus labor) and provide a before and after of both the Cobb OTS map and my custom tune (which currently does not exhibit the behavior and is the reason I sought it out) to hopefully give folks here the best advice on what to do if they experience the same.

As mentioned - I’m working with John at BGB on a custom tune - he has been phenomenal and worth every penny and my full review of this experience I’ll post once I’ve completed the process - but my guess is that part of the blame may fall on the diverters and more and more people may experience this with the higher boost levels of the Cobb tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Does anyone know what's different with V.206?
I can't find any info on there site.
post #3 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondr32 View Post
Same here --- no 206 info on Cobb's site - still says 205 is current version......

This is great news, cause I really want a smoother, more predictable response from my Macan Turbo...

- MO INFO PLEASE !~!

2018 Macan Turbo

Previous Porsches -
2007 911 Carrera S
2000 Boxster S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Carver View Post
Iíve taken the BGB plunge to do a custom tune to get my Macan turbo running smoothly and will post full details when finished - but until then I thought id throw out the fact that v206 from Cobb is today out on the AP for those wanting to review it.

In doing all this I have a theory that for us turbo owners, the Cobb tune isnít necessarily bad, but it might be the diverter valves - something that gets little press here so far.

So Iíll also start this thread to ask folks about an issue I believe I have relating to diverter valve leaks to see if others have seen this. Rather than try to describe it - Iíll post a link that shows it in all its ingloriousness below, albeit on a GTS.

I believe mine are failing as Iíve experienced it more with every hope that the new Cobb map would fix the intermittent issues.

I did this video in seventh gear to show the boost dropping while the rpms stay steady/increase to show my foot is still on the throttle while not giving the PDK a gear to upshift into. Furthermore I believe that this happens in lower gears, but when it occurs, especially in the torquey turbos, the PDK interprets the torque drop as accelerator let off -meaning we are done trying to accelerate more aggressively and (erroneously) upshifts, especially in comfort mode which it probably does to get better gas mileage. If the boost then rebuilds or you apply more gas - the car gets confused at your intent and is what many turbo owners have complained about.

This boost drop still happens in sport mode under partial throttle around 2-3k rpms but the PDK is less eager to upshift so itís currently less noticeable. It does NOT happen in WOT because the car is in lockdown mode where it interprets your input as ďhaul assĒ and does so without intervention and sole goal to put the power down.

In light of this - I will have the diverter valves replaced ($600-$800 parts plus labor) and provide a before and after of both the Cobb OTS map and my custom tune (which currently does not exhibit the behavior and is the reason I sought it out) to hopefully give folks here the best advice on what to do if they experience the same.

As mentioned - Iím working with John at BGB on a custom tune - he has been phenomenal and worth every penny and my full review of this experience Iíll post once Iíve completed the process - but my guess is that part of the blame may fall on the diverters and more and more people may experience this with the higher boost levels of the Cobb tune.

Well this is ironic. I was just looking at diverter valves yesterday... but saw that the install was a PITA. I may call around to some tuning shops and get some quotes for install. Iíll play around tomorrow and see if my boost varies like the video, but I am 99% sure Iíve experienced this since day one.

Very intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)

Not all new revisions are new maps.
Sometimes they are just adding new Engine build identifiers.

2016 M T
post #6 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddis View Post
Not all new revisions are new maps.
Sometimes they are just adding new Engine build identifiers.
How about you expand on that comment so the rest of us know what you just said.

2018 Macan S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

UPDATE . . .

FIRST - - Thank You Ross, for starting this thread...

And now for the fun part --

SO - I decided to connected the AP to my computer, even though I couldn't find a v206-specific map file or revision info on the Cobb public site.

The AP Manager app immediately found a new Firmware version available as of yesterday (6-19-19), that specifically mentioned there were LOTS of new trim & sensor value updates that apply to all gen1 Macan models.

I let it update the AP's firmware and connected it to the car, to see if Firmware updates alone might change anything on the Macan even without a new map file...
SURE ENOUGH - this FW update DID load the v206 maps onto the AP itself !!

v206 is now installed successfully. I even reset the ECU learning state (.. no codes needed to be cleared ..)
Guess I'm playing 'early adopter' here, so I'll letcha know if there's any noticeable improvements.

Looking forward to my otherwise boring drive to work tomorrow ...

2018 Macan Turbo

Previous Porsches -
2007 911 Carrera S
2000 Boxster S
post #8 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Default Cobb v206 for Turbos - is this finally it?

Let us know how v206 is in shifting!

Last edited by ttmacan; 06-21-2019 at 04:49 AM.
post #9 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondr32 View Post
My guess is their documentor has not updated their website.
post #10 of 193 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Carver View Post
I’ve taken the BGB plunge to do a custom tune to get my Macan turbo running smoothly and will post full details when finished - but until then I thought id throw out the fact that v206 from Cobb is today out on the AP for those wanting to review it.

In doing all this I have a theory that for us turbo owners, the Cobb tune isn’t necessarily bad, but it might be the diverter valves - something that gets little press here so far.

So I’ll also start this thread to ask folks about an issue I believe I have relating to diverter valve leaks to see if others have seen this. Rather than try to describe it - I’ll post a link that shows it in all its ingloriousness below, albeit on a GTS.

I believe mine are failing as I’ve experienced it more with every hope that the new Cobb map would fix the intermittent issues.

This boost drop still happens in sport mode under partial throttle around 2-3k rpms but the PDK is less eager to upshift so it’s currently less noticeable. It does NOT happen in WOT because the car is in lockdown mode where it interprets your input as “haul ass” and does so without intervention and sole goal to put the power down.

As mentioned - I’m working with John at BGB on a custom tune - he has been phenomenal and worth every penny and my full review of this experience I’ll post once I’ve completed the process - but my guess is that part of the blame may fall on the diverters and more and more people may experience this with the higher boost levels of the Cobb tune.

Well this is ironic. I was just looking at diverter valves yesterday... but saw that the install was a PITA. I may call around to some tuning shops and get some quotes for install. I’ll play around tomorrow and see if my boost varies like the video, but I am 99% sure I’ve experienced this since day one.

Very intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please post your quote. I’m guessing it’s going to be $300 for the valves (flat6) plus a couple hrs labor. I’ll post my actual costs when I can get it scheduled as well. My feeling is this will become a cost of running the Cobb or any higher boost tune for most Macan owners over time. My hope is this thread will get people out of the poor driving purgatory.
Shark likes this.