Beware of Idiots at the Massachusetts State Inspection Locations - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Default Beware of Idiots at the Massachusetts State Inspection Locations

So it was that time of year for me...1st yearly State inspection for my Macan.

Went to the Burlington MA location on 3A situated in a Prime gas station...up the road from the Burlington Porsche dealership. I was on my way home from work, it was a nice day...so I thought what the heck, I'll get this done and then install my new smoked side markers I received today from Flat 6 Motorsports this coming weekend after I get the new inspection sticker...just in case.

Now I've heard rumors Massachusetts has really started cracking down lately when it comes to the States rules as it pertains to what's legal in the aftermarket world, so being the paranoid person that I am, I even rolled my front tinted windows down and opened the sunroof to make it as bright as possible inside the vehicle, and made sure the PSE was not in loud mode. Other than that, my one year old Macan GTS is bone stock, and I should have any worries...right?

So once it's my turn (there were two people in front of me), the attendant comes over to me, and I hand her the FOB, my State vehicle registration, and $35 cash. She then drives my Macan into the bay. Here I am thinking since the vehicle is only one year old, the law is my Macan only has to go through the safety inspection part and I get to forgo the emissions part of the inspection...piece of cake I say, this should be quick.

First issue, one of the attendants starts to jack up the front end in back of the driver's wheel using a floor jack...before I could say anything, he's starting to struggle getting the wheel off the ground. I yell to him STOP, the vehicle has self-leveling air suspension! He immediately stops and says "checking the front ball joints is part of the safety inspection requirements". I then said "Even on a 1 year old car?", and he says "Yep". So I then tell them I have to get in the car to turn off the air suspension before they can lift the front tires, and they said go ahead. Good thing I remembered how!

So after a few more minutes, I get my sticker, and proceed to drive home. Once there, I checked to see if there was any damage because just then I had realized if they had some sort of adapter on their floor jack for Porsches...evidently they did not, and I now have a slightly tweaked jack point in back of the driver's wheel. The other side still looked OK though ...

So the message of this story is:

1) The State inspection stations are run by idiots.

2) If you have air suspension, turn it off beforehand.

3) And if you own a jack pad adapter for Porsches, bring it with you...you might need it if the station does not have one.

2018 Macan GTS - Agate Grey, PTV+, Sport Chrono Pkg., LED Headlights, Std. Black Leather Pkg., Premium Pkg. Plus, LCA, Adaptive Sport 18-Way Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Black Brushed Aluminum Pkg., Porsche Connect, Smoking Pkg., Black Roof Rails, Trailer Hitch, CravenSpeed Platypus License Plate Mount, Window Switch Trim, 35% Tint on Front Windows, Standard PPF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Garage

Being born and raised in metro Boston I have one piece of advice to give you. I took it myself as soon as I was able. Move out of the state. Or at least west of Worcester.

One of the traits of many Mass natives is that they like to damage your stuff. The nicer your stuff is, and the crappier their job is, the more likely that they will have this trait.
MDJAK and wwahl like this.

2018 Macan Sports Edition, daily driver.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post

Being born and raised in metro Boston I have one piece of advice to give you. I took it myself as soon as I was able. Move out of the state. Or at least west of Worcester.
This is a given. I WILL NOT be retiring in the State of Massachusetts...God no!

I can't even find a Porsche dealership near me that can balance a wheel proper.
Yadkin likes this.

2018 Macan GTS - Agate Grey, PTV+, Sport Chrono Pkg., LED Headlights, Std. Black Leather Pkg., Premium Pkg. Plus, LCA, Adaptive Sport 18-Way Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Black Brushed Aluminum Pkg., Porsche Connect, Smoking Pkg., Black Roof Rails, Trailer Hitch, CravenSpeed Platypus License Plate Mount, Window Switch Trim, 35% Tint on Front Windows, Standard PPF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)

Sorry to hear about your experience, not unexpected however when you are dealing with a mandated government bureaucracies. Poor service, training, lack of knowledge, tools and equipment.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 980 Post(s)
Quoted: 3000 Post(s)

Really, is it any surprise? I mean it’s boston after all. Well at least you can bask in the glow of another Stanley cup shortly.

But kidding aside, no inspection station anywhere would have the proper jackpoint for the Macan. Good thing you stopped them.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
Really, is it any surprise? I mean itís boston after all. Well at least you can bask in the glow of another Stanley cup shortly.

But kidding aside, no inspection station anywhere would have the proper jackpoint for the Macan. Good thing you stopped them.
Not a surprise but if they are going to force you to hand your vehicle to them to work on they should have to have the correct tools for every vehicle. One size does not fit all but that is what you get from the government. If the jack point is replaceable I would have them pay for a new one.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

That is not what I wanted to hear... But thanks for the heads up. Never thought about disabling the air suspension before handing over for state inspection! Not to mention inevitable lift point damage...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)

I use a Porsche/Audi dealership that does inspections. Less worry that way. No extra cost compared to a gas station.
Jshore, notmac1, SoCalS5 and 4 others like this.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)

I'm glad I do not live in Taxachusetts!
Yadkin likes this.

2016 Macan Turbo | Sapphire Blue Metallic | agate grey middle leather pkg| 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | F&R SS skid plates | premium pkg plus| 18-way seats | A.S. wi PASM | PTV Plus| 3-zone | dark walnut | NO smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | wheel centers wi full color Porsche Logo |nano tinted windows |PPF
2019 Carrera 2S
2000 Jaguar XJ8
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post

I'm glad I do not live in Taxachusetts!
Massachusetts lost that title years ago, the State is currently ranked 10th now in 2019...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...t-us/39124869/
iconoclast likes this.