LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #271 of 369 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1277 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3382 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkayak View Post
I assume that would depend on what portion of the US plant output goes to Europe (vs the rest of the world). In fact what matters most is probably what fraction of profit (not revenue) comes from Europe. My understanding is BMW exports globally from Spartanburg.
Its the # of vehicles sold that matters, not the cost. The emissions don't care if its from a Bugatti, Rolls, or BMW Mini.

China gets 22% of the production. of the 73% of production
BMW increasing China Production capacity
400,000 units/year #2 after China is Germany.

So we don't know how many vehicles are sent to Germany from the US but certainly more than the entire number of Macans sold in the US. Every vehicle counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdancer View Post
As an article in computer weekly notes,

"Legacy is not synonymous with inferiority. Rather, it shows maturity, stability and best practices honed from years of experience. Legacy works."

A superb example in the gun industry is the model 1911 .45 caliber pistol.
Apples and Oranges. A gun is mostly mechanical. Porsches today, are mostly electronic. About everything in the car runs on chips. PASM, PSM, PCM, Emissions, PDCC, etc., its all electronics. Electronics change ALL the time. Porsche also runs Porsche Classics, look it up. Ten years after a model is out of production, generation move into that program to ensure parts are always available. That's one of the benefits of owning an older Porsche. But now, everything is software and chips. A big problem can be finding any company that makes the chips nm someone to write the software. The electronics are the reason the cars drain batteries. Something is always running, including the alarm.

Comparing a mechanical part to a modern car is not a good analogy. You could compare your gun to the old fashion manual crank window on the car. That would be reasonable. But try to find ANY car that doesn't have electric windows. Porsches are worse. Their windows adjust with the inside pressure dropping the window a bit opening the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdancer View Post
I predict the same will be true for the ICE Macan, becoming a legendary sought-after superstar (like the original Toyota Supra) ... .
OK. Its your prediction. You might want to consider in your evaluation that 30% of the car is from Audi and the PDK is audi. along with a claimed 50% of other parts from VAG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
My understanding is that the US market is huge for Porsche.
Not like it used to be back in the 80s. From 2017 annual report, 55,240 vehicles sold in US, ~57K in 2018, 71507 in China, and 80,292 in Europe. Its now fallen to the third most important market. 2018 numbers should be out in a month or so.

Quote:
So it might have made some sense, from a regulations standpoint, to have an EV Macan plant in Germany and an ICE Macan plant in the US... I'm just throwing out ideas, of course.
For what, Macans? What are they going to do, build an entire plant for maybe 23,000 cars just for the US? There is no way they would move flat 6 production to the US. That makes no financial sense. but 23k? That's not going to happen, at least IMO it won't. It makes no sense.

A little bit of reality here. The US is not special in terms of market share. Its share keeps dropping. The little tidbit from Autocar about the coproduction of gen 1 cars and gen 2 cars until the infrastructure exists in a market is interesting. I think it a recognition that there is little to no infrastructure in the US and Macans sales would plummet in the US. These cars are price sensitive and sensitive within the consumer base. They aren't $130K sports cars that are toys or 3rd cars. They are SUVs used daily meant for hauling people, cargo, and bad weather. Forget about forums, the public won't put up with inconvenience. They need to get to work, drop kids at school, and go shopping. However, I understand the Taycan allocations are sold out. Toys. 3rd cars for the majority of the states. Convenience matters. So you have price sensitivity and convenience. Its not an accident that the best selling model is the base.

Quote:
Regarding the initial report by Porsche about the Macan EV this week, it was needlessly misleading. I'm glad that it has been clarified, and this story explains it well:
Porsche Will Continue Producing, Selling Current Macan Alongside Next-Gen EV: Report - The Drive
The Drive reads the AutoCar report, which talked to Stuttgart. Read the AutoCar report. Anything beyond the original reporting might be "opinion", their guesses. Did they talk to Stuttgart?
NETX likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 369 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing View Post
I would absolutely consider it (it will be a lot better than the early Cayenne E-Hybrid). I fill up my turbo more often than any of my previous cars. I chart the mileage on an app and over 43k miles, I'm averaging 17.1 mpg. Only one tank cracked 20mpg and that was on a long, all-highway trip. A lot of my driving is city but it's just brutal. I'm averaging around 16 gallons each fill (try not to run all the way to empty bc of tank sediment, etc.) which is only 270 miles of range.

I really, rally wish the Macan had the 90-liter (23.8 gallon) tank from the Panamera GTS & turbo.
Wow, not good. I am averaging 22.5 mpg's in over 35k and four years with my Macan S. I travel 80% highway, 10% suburbs,10% city. I have seen 27 mpg's when crusing just at 65 mph in optimal weather conditions. I usually attain 428 or more miles per tank.

2015 Macan S in rhodium silver, black 14 ways,PASM, LCA, LKA,ACC,3 zone, smokers pkg (non smoker),comfort lights, trailer hitch, entertainment, premium pkg., 19" AS Michelins, 19" Turbo wheels.
post #273 of 369 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)

Hi Grim. I do understand the EU penalties are based on cars sold there. But when it’s time to decide what products to build where (including Spartanburg), BMW will just translate EU penalties to an additional cost element. Then they’ll analyze profitability of each market to decide which markets to serve with which products. Companies make those financial calculations and adjustments all the time, dropping and chasing markets.

I have no idea how that profitability analysis would shake out, but profit is the primary driver of business decisions. In other words, would BMW earn more from EV, ICE, or both products? Is BMW big enough that they can optimize profits by designing and building both? Who knows? Porsche is probably too small to pull that off. But in the end, what BMW does will depend on the aggregated profitability of each product built in the plant. Numbers shipped home to the EU are just one part of that calculation.
grim and FLDavid like this.

‘17 Macan, Carrara White with Agate
‘17 Cayenne S, White with Black/Luxor Beige
'20 Specialized Roubaix Pro (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 369 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshore View Post
Wow, not good. I am averaging 22.5 mpg's in over 35k and four years with my Macan S. I travel 80% highway, 10% suburbs,10% city. I have seen 27 mpg's when crusing just at 65 mph in optimal weather conditions. I usually attain 428 or more miles per tank.
You have 19" wheels? What tire pressures do you run? I have 20s and I think there's a mileage penalty with them. The turbo is also heavier.

2015 Macan Turbo - Jet Black Metallic (masochist), Full Black Leather, 18-way, Carbon Fiber Trim, PP+, 20" RS Spyders, PASM/AS, PTV+, ACC/PAS, HNIG, Aluminum Gearshift, Voice Control, Porsche Car Connect. Added OSIR Sport Pedals (cheap & great!), Remus Exhaust, CarGraphic lowering module, RaceChip.

Gone but not forgotten - Deep Sea Blue 2008 BMW 535i, Black 2002 BMW 330Ci, Black 1997 Saab 900SE Convertible
post #275 of 369 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing View Post
You have 19" wheels? What tire pressures do you run? I have 20s and I think there's a mileage penalty with them. The turbo is also heavier.
I'm running 19 inch wheels in my Macan S and can easily get 470-500 miles per tank running 74 mph in eco mode with the air suspension lowered all the way.
post #276 of 369 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkayak View Post
Hi Grim. I do understand the EU penalties are based on cars sold there. But when it’s time to decide what products to build where (including Spartanburg), BMW will just translate EU penalties to an additional cost element. Then they’ll analyze profitability of each market to decide which markets to serve with which products. Companies make those financial calculations and adjustments all the time, dropping and chasing markets.
This I believe.
post #277 of 369 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Quote:
So now, it will be interesting to see how much Porsche revises its ICE-only Macan beyond what it has already done with the 2019 Macan. Will Porsche remove the control-panel buttons and replace them with the piano-black pseudo-buttons of the 2019 Cayenne and 2018-2019 Panamera? (I hope not.)
Per your link, EV and non will look the same skin deep, so my hunch is this is likely (as they’ve already got the new PCM in 2019+)

Quote:
Will Porsche replace the current 3-dial instrument panel (which has two analog and one digital "circle") with the 5-segment panel (with only the tachometer being analog) of the new Panamera and Cayenne? (Would be really nice!)
No, but it will likely become 2 screens and an analog tach. The 3 VS 5 ring is a separation between entry (912, box/cay, Macan) and higher (911, cayenne, pana) models. That’s not changing.

Quote:
Will Porsche put more practical controls on the steering wheel of the Macan (which currently are way too few), as they did with the new Panamera and Cayenne? (Really needed!)
Likely, the steering wheel has always trickled down. The Macan was the first with a 918 style wheel before it spread elsewhere, eventually those changes/improvements from other implementations will propagate back.

Quote:
Will Porsche dare to create a "bridge" version of the Macan in the form of a Macan E-Hybrid? (I sure hope so!)

I’ve previously said I believe they may do this as a reaction to slow EV uptake. Now that they’re keeping ICE active on the old platform, I’m changing my vote to no. They’ve already said they can’t/won’t build one on the current platform. As the next gen is EV only, I seriously doubt they would integrate one there when the whole thing was built to target EV.
post #278 of 369 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

I've changed this thread title to "Second Generation Macan EV Only" to reflect the Porsche Press Release. This doesn't mean they can't produce ICE vehicles from the previous generation at the same time, as discovered in later posts.
post #279 of 369 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

I just had to dispose (recycle) my rechargeable electric 31year old Oral-B toothbrush.
This all electric thing has potential?
NETX likes this.

Rhodium Silver, Luxor beige, brushed alum, Prem Package Plus-14 way, PDLS, Bose, auto dim mirrors, heated seats frt & rear, steering wheel, vented frt seats, pano roof, entry and drive, delete model, smoker pack, park assist frt & rear with surround camera, 20" sports with colored crest, crest on front head rest. Lane change assist, Received 3/18/16 MY2017.
post #280 of 369 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
I just had to dispose (recycle) my rechargeable electric 31year old Oral-B toothbrush.
This all electric thing has potential?
Do you think Porsche will brush away the competition?
fritz likes this.

2018 Macan S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.