Seat heater and ventilation at same time caused an odd smell - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Default Seat heater and ventilation at same time caused an odd smell

My wife accidentally turned on both the seat heater and seat ventilation/cooling at the same time ( as an aside , it is sort of odd to me that Porsche would allow that?) , she did not notice for a while, and noticed a plasticky burning smell. I have a hard time believing it would cause a problem but she is now worried about her beloved Macan. Anyone else experience something like that? I am guessing the fans just pushed out some out-gassing smell caused by the heating elements that normally is not noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)

The ventilation is actually pulling air into the seat so you're smelling the air together with accumulated sweat blowing into the heating element at work.
mstraka and Glock19 like this.

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, SSK, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Actually I like doing that from time to time, mild heating and mild ventilation combined creates just the right seat coziness on some days.

It's not odd, I like how Porsche gives us the choice and allows for relatively many options to be combined as we see fit (comfort engine setting combined with sports plus suspension setting etc.).

Plasticky burnt smell happens here too when engaging the heating functions for the first time after a long summer. I never worried about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/ delivered Sep16
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopless View Post
My wife accidentally turned on both the seat heater and seat ventilation/cooling at the same time ( as an aside , it is sort of odd to me that Porsche would allow that?) , she did not notice for a while, and noticed a plasticky burning smell. I have a hard time believing it would cause a problem but she is now worried about her beloved Macan. Anyone else experience something like that? I am guessing the fans just pushed out some out-gassing smell caused by the heating elements that normally is not noticeable.

"he said, "out-gassing" - heh-heh, heh-heh, heh-heh..."
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg beavis_n_butthead.jpeg (84.0 KB, 3 views)
Yadkin likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblow View Post
The ventilation is actually pulling air into the seat so you're smelling the air together with accumulated sweat blowing into the heating element at work.
ACK.... Funny it's ironic that your handle is 'windblow'... haha
rigelt and Yadkin like this.

2018 Porsche Macan Turbo PP | Sapphire Blue Metallic | Natural Espresso Leather + Dark Walnut | Premium Package Plus | SportDesign Package + Mirrors | PDLS+ LED Headlamps | Illuminated Door-Sill Guards in Brushed Aluminum | Rear Sun Shades | Connect Plus | Insulated Glass | Heated Front + Rear Seats | Ventilated Front Seats | Aluminum Roof Rails | Sport Chrono | PJRDNKY3

2018 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T | Matador Red Metallic | Black Leather | Virtual Cockpit | Loaded Daily Commuter