Porsche Macan Forum banner

Sunshade recommendations?

71K views 170 replies 76 participants last post by  Luca Brasi 
#1 ·
Anyone have a recommendation for a sunshade that fits the Macan well?

looking for something that stows easily after collapse and obviously reflects the heat/sun well.

#109 ·
I have a generic double wire hoop shade that folds down. (With my company logo no less) fits well enough on my Boxster, but could be a tad bigger. I use it whenever I don't have covered parking. When folded, I slip it between the passenger seat and the central armrest. I gave up on the pouch on day one.

I have the folding cardboard one, but it does get physically hot to touch, and required storage behind the passenger seat.

The silver cloth and hoop one takes seconds to snatch, unfold, and secure with visors.

#111 ·
I got the weathertech sunshade and am extremely happy with it.. its insulated, reflective on the front for summer and black on the back so you can reverse it in the winter for keeping the windshield frost free. Very easy to put in and take off and stores with its own velcro. The only complaint is that it sets off my laser detector some how when the sun hits it when stored in the back, but I guess that would be any silver one.

2017 Porsche® Macan | Windshield Sun Shade - Custom Car Window and Windshield Sunshade | WeatherTech.com

#112 ·
Why is your laser detector powered on when car is off/parked?

Interesting claim re black side facing out keeps frost off windshield. Is there any evidence for this. I don't have below freezing weather where I live, just curious. I would have guessed silver side out would be best in cold weather as well, since it would send the solar radiation/heat back out through the window for a second pass so to speak.

#114 ·
I’ve been following this for a long time, could not decide if the few occasions my Macan is parked outside it would be worth buying a shade.

I measured my Macan windshield, it’s 27” H X 51” W.

I came across this at Amazon and decided it was worth buying, even if I only use it once. Yes, it’s a wallet crushing $5.79 :)and free shipping with Prime and appears to be ideal size.

Attachments

#118 ·
It's the time of year to open up this thread again.

Think I'm going to order the Heat Shield from Amazon for the reasons Speeder outlined above (see post #90 ).

Anyone see any new shades that have come to market in the last year that would be worth mentioning?

#122 ·
It's the time of year to open up this thread again.

Think I'm going to order the Heat Shield from Amazon for the reasons Speeder outlined above (see post #90 ).

Anyone see any new shades that have come to market in the last year that would be worth mentioning?
Shark, to me the ease of rolling open/close is an important factor. I bought one last year to have a "custom" fit for my S. I did not use it because it open/close by section, not rolling. So it's stiff and has no Velcro to tighten it. I am at the office so I don't recall which brand I bought. For convenience of using, you may want the one that you can roll it and tighten with Velcro. I use my old flexible one which fitted OK. My 0.02

#119 ·
2 years and 104 (now 105) posts later, this thread I started lives on...

Someone put it out of its misery!

I never did end up getting a sunscreen, mainly because it's a pain putting in place with my Blendmount and Passport hanging off the rear view mirror...

Reactions: Shark
#121 ·
...i never did end up getting a sunscreen, mainly because it's a pain putting in place with my blendmount and passport hanging off the rear view mirror...
lol

#120 ·
In case anyone is interested in the HeatShield, it's about 13% less on Jet.com versus Amazon.

#124 ·
The Heat Shield I ordered from Jet.com arrived today.

I like it. Reminds me of the similar sunshields you see used in aircraft parked outdoors. In fact on the package it says it's a product of Aircraft Covers Inc :)

I took the liberty of cutting and pasting Speeder's post on this from last year:

It is custom fit for our Macan. Further, and most importantly, it protects more than the Porsche sun shade which I first tried. Further still, I have a V1 with blend mount (radar detector mounted on the rear view mirror) and the flexible Heat Shield sun shade allows me to bend it around the V1 whereas the Porsche sun shade does not. Lastly, to easily store the Heat Shield, roll it and use the attached velcro strap.

Thanks again for the recommendation, Speeder!

Here's the link to it on jet.com:
https://jet.com/product/Sunshade-fo...fit-Sunshade/23a79824b33d4da5a4707541d1fad2b6

#127 ·
I can't think of any reason the dimensions for all the years would not be identical.

#130 ·
We here in New England just experienced a 5 day heatwave where each day was in the 90's, and since my Macan is parked outside when I'm at work in a big shade deprived parking lot, it was definitely time to invest in a windshield sun shade if I didn't want to cook my leather seats or dashboard. So after looking online at a number of manufacturers, I actually decided on the OEM Porsche sun shade, mostly for the quality aspect compared to what the other manufacturers had to offer. The Porsche sun shade is thicker, has a nice felt outer edge, and a dark felt backside...even comes with a nice Porsche vinyl storage bag!

The best price I found was $60.90 on eBay with free shipping...

https://www.ebay.com/p/Porsche-Macan-Sun-Shade-PNA-505-95b/1256284975

And here's what it looks like installed...

#133 ·
I picked up the OEM shade few weeks ago as well. Decided to go OEM for the fit. I like the carrying bag and the thickness of the piece. One thing I’ve noticed though is that anyone with the panoramic sunroof needs to get it tinted. The heat that comes through the roof is the main culprit making the interior hot. I had my front windows tinted and the front windshield blocked with the sunshade. When we has 98* days here in NorCal it was still hot inside. This was caused by the roof. I’ve made an appointment to have it tinted in a few weeks. That would cover everything.

Good to know! Thanks for the tip!

#134 ·
I’m fairly certain Intro-Tech supplies the Porsche dealers with the Porsche branded ones in the U.S.

One of Intro-Tech’s sunshade models is called the Ultimate Reflector, and it appears to be 100% identical to the Porsche branded ones, right down to the stitching. I’ve seen them side by side. Of course the Intro-Tech branded ones don’t have the Porsche insignia.

The OP actually did get a good price on the Porsche branded one, bu the Intro-Tech version is widely available for about $50 delivered.

I was able to pick one up from AutoAnything.com for a bit less than $40 when they had them on sale and using a promo code.

#138 ·
Brave. I thought about doing that too for the same reason but was concerned about visibility. Even though the F1 Pinnacle film has excellent visibility, there’s a chance of distortion. Didn’t want to risk it so I bought the OEM windshield on sale at local dealer for $65 which was cheaper than Amazon or Suncoast.

#149 ·
This thread came just at the perfect time. It is hotter than blazes (and weirdly humid, for here) on the Arizona / Las Vegas / Death Valley leg of our road trip, and although the car cools quickly, it will cool more quickly with a good quality shade like this. The dog will especially appreciate this. Thank you!

#150 ·
Thanks all. It's time to replace my 14 year old Saturn Vue sunshield. All my co workers say I'm doing an injustice to my Macan with the sight of that Saturn logo sunshield.
I also put a towel covering the steering wheel and covering the front seats when parked at work in the hot sun.
Luckily the S is in the garage at home.
Well at least during these Summer months I forget about neglecting to order the heated steering wheel..lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.