Three issues so far after timing chain cover leak fix - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
macanblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: LA
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Question Three issues so far after timing chain cover leak fix

Would like some expert opinion on this from all of you -

So I took my Macan S for 30K service in April. Service manager advised there is a TIMING CHAIN COVER LEAK and they would need a week to fix it. Hesitatingly, I dropped the car for fix mid may. Dealer took 2 weeks (Ok, they gave me a good loaner), handed off a 4 page list of parts fixed and finally got the car back. Problems start here...last week, after about 1K driving, I started hearing some rough noises from the front, when gears are changing (like how it used to be when we manually change stick shifts and don't press clutch correctly) and on Thu, heard two big bangs from engine area and car lost power, would not rev beyond 1500 RPM. I pulled the car to side and got it towed to same shop. They looked at it and said they forgot to torque the TRANSMISSION BOLTS correctly and done by afternoon - I was little surprised how fast it is done but I insisted they test it well - they said they drove for 50 miles and dropped the car back at home Fri evening. I thought its one time error, should give a fair chance, things happen.

Today (Monday), after just driving less than 20 miles - heard a new noise from front of the car - and then took it again to shop right away, on way to work. Also noticed my seat memory button is not working anymore. The mechanic test drove and within a minute found that there is issue when turning steering - pulled it into shop and got the car out, saying the wishbone has an aluminium bolt that was not torqued properly during original fix. Within 10 minutes, he said it is all good to go now.

If you are still reading, so it started with a TRANSMISSION issue first on Friday, then ELECTRICAL, and then SUSPENSION. I am now very afraid of what else is in store for me and warranty is coming to an end in another 9 months.

What would you do as next step here in this case? How should I proceed?

@yrralis1 @grim @iconoclast

...PHW4A2M0
macanblue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:23 AM
Senior Member
 
wwahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: On Lake Washington, Bellevue WA
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Default

You have my worst nightmare. You can't lemon law it because the car is older. The car is undependable (unpredictable?). So, what do you do? The dealer is not the best, the car is not performing, maybe trade it in?

2018 Macan S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wwahl is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:06 AM
Senior Member
 
iconoclast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,037
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Default

Sorry to hear about this happening to you.
The mechanic working on your car obviously screwed up big-time in multiple ways!

I would involve PCNA at this point.

I would not want the same mechanic working on that car ever again. If there is another Porsche dealership within driving distance that would be better.

You don't know how else that bad mechanic screwed up your car!

This is not an issue with the Porsche Macan, rather with an incompetent mechanic!

I would try to get the top mechanic at a different dealership to not only double check every single possible bolt involved with removing and reinstalling the engine but, then try to get them to extend your warranty at no charge to you… at least one more year and to throw in a N/C oil change for your inconvenience.

This is a Marx Brothers approach to car repair! I would be angry at this point but remain polite.

I don't know what your chances are of getting all this... I would try.

You need more warranty time in case the other shoe drops again due to sloppy repair work.

Good luck!
TripleL, Glock19 and tstiles like this.

2016 Macan Turbo | Sapphire Blue Metallic | agate grey middle leather pkg| 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | F&R SS skid plates | premium pkg plus| 18-way seats | A.S. wi PASM | PTV Plus| 3-zone | dark walnut | NO smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | wheel centers wi full color Porsche Logo |nano tinted windows |PPF
2019 Carrera 2S
2000 Jaguar XJ8
iconoclast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Garage
Default Three issues so far after timing chain cover leak fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Sorry to hear about this happening to you.

The mechanic working on your car obviously screwed up big-time in multiple ways!



I would involve PCNA at this point.



I would not want the same mechanic working on that car ever again. If there is another Porsche dealership within driving distance that would be better.



You don't know how else that bad mechanic screwed up your car!



This is not an issue with the Porsche Macan, rather with an incompetent mechanic!



I would try to get the top mechanic at a different dealership to not only double check every single possible bolt involved with removing and reinstalling the engine but, then try to get them to extend your warranty at no charge to you… at least one more year and to throw in a N/C oil change for your inconvenience.



This is a Marx Brothers approach to car repair! I would be angry at this point but remain polite.



I don't know what your chances are of getting all this... I would try.



You need more warranty time in case the other shoe drops again due to sloppy repair work.



Good luck!


Agree here. Basically two options IMO... first, you do as stated above... go back, ask for a senior tech to go over everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, to re-torque to spec... and give it all a thorough run thru. Tell them you are 100% not comfortable with the car anymore, and at the very least would like the Warranty extended. Take it up with PCNA as well perhaps.

Second option... get rid of it and get into another one.

My engine was pulled for this leak, and my tech happened to be a senior specialist at a brand new (large/popular) dealership. He had many years of experience (from other dealerships). He was pleased the way it all went back together. I might even venture to say my engine runs better AFTER the repair. I tell you this not out of spite, but so you can at least know that the repair can be done with a good outcome (as many others on here have experienced as well).

Very sorry you are having to deal with this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TXRed; 06-18-2019 at 08:45 AM.
TXRed is online now  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,658
Mentioned: 1306 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macanblue View Post
they forgot to torque the TRANSMISSION BOLTS correctly

an aluminium bolt that was not torqued properly
I would be very disappointed in this dealer. YMMV. If these bolts were not torqued right, what about all the rest? This is something expensive, not something you want messed up. As others said, I would not fault the car maker nor the model. If you plan on keeping the car, I would insist that every bolt be torqued to spec and move onto another dealer. Possibly ask for PCNA to extend the warranty for at least one year.

If you do not have someone check the torque on every bolt, and plan on keeping it, I would consider an extended warranty, and I am not one who has ever bought an extended warranty. I had my Porsches out of warranty for years.

I find this troublesome. Sorry to hear it.
grim is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: DFW
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRed View Post
Agree here. Basically two options IMO... first, you do as stated above... go back, ask for a senior tech to go over everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, to re-torque to spec... and give it all a thorough run thru. Tell them you are 100% not comfortable with the car anymore, and at the very least would like the Warranty extended. Take it up with PCNA as well perhaps.

Second option... get rid of it and get into another one.

My engine was pulled for this leak, and my tech happened to be a senior specialist at a brand new (large/popular) dealership. He had many years of experience (from other dealerships). He was pleased the way it all went back together. I might even venture to say my engine runs better AFTER the repair. I tell you this not out of spite, but so you can at least know that the repair can be done with a good outcome (as many others on here have experienced as well).

Very sorry you are having to deal with this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@TXRed , mind sharing dealer/tech details?

My car's original warranty is ending at the end of September and I am thinking about having a good dealer tech, Indy tech inspect everything with the car ( both's opinions in case one missed something ) so any work/issues can be addressed while the warranty is in place.

TIA.
turBro is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Garage
Default Three issues so far after timing chain cover leak fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by turBro View Post
@TXRed , mind sharing dealer/tech details?



My car's original warranty is ending at the end of September and I am thinking about having a good dealer tech, Indy tech inspect everything with the car ( both's opinions in case one missed something ) so any work/issues can be addressed while the warranty is in place.



TIA.


Dealer was Porsche Grapevine... SA is Josh Slanker... will have to dig up tech’s name.

First Indy I’ve used so far is RAC Performance over in Addison/Carrollton area. They did my brakes last month. Better pricing than dealer, but they still specialize in Porsche. Talk to Hans in service.... tell him Kris with the red Macan GTS (recent brake job) recommended them. Nice guy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
turBro likes this.
TXRed is online now  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:26 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Jersey City
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Default

Wondering if anyone can provide a contact for PCNA to the OP? Perhaps to speed up the process of requesting a warranty extension.

GL, hopefully a senior tech at another dealer can resolve it for you soon.
Hdizzo is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Greater Pittsburgh, PA area
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Default

https://www.porsche.com/usa/dialogue...ndinformation/

The phone number is 1-800-PORSCHE (1-800-767-7243)

FWIW, I had a warranty issue with an Infiniti Dealer. I called Infiniti Customer Service and within four business days, issue resolved and a new long block was already ordered and sent to the dealer, who had previously insisted Infiniti wasn't going to replace the engine.

I would give them a call.

2017 Macan Turbo - Black, 20" RS Spyder Wheels, Std. Black Leather Pkg., Premium Pkg. Plus, Adaptive Sport 18-Way Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Black Roof Rails, Black Tinted Windows
dkh0331 is online now  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Big Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage
Default

I took my X5 in for an oil change and an oil cooler gasket repair.
The car threw a rod 200 kms later, or about six hours run time.
Service accused me of being "delinquent of my servicing". And suggested a 26000 dollar engine. Every service was by the book and done at the dealer.
I called BMW head office, 20 minutes after the news. They said it was a franchise issue.
A long battle issued. 55,ooo miles on the car, with a 7year /9o,ooo extended warranty. I should not have to fight for a repair.
What did learn?
Talk is fine. Email is what you need. Paper.
Head office does not want to get involved in a franchise issue.
My dealership, service department, unbeknownst to me at the time, was unionized.
Union members don't make mistakes. I had to talk, only to the shop steward. Tricky.
So who did you contract with? A franchise, is the repair department service part of the franchise.
My new to me Macan is serviced by the only Porsche owned shop in town. I even interviewed the store manager.
He thought it odd that I asked if his back repair shop was unionized. After explaining why, he thinks I am less odd.

Mid Life crisis?
NO... it's been pretty constant.
Big Smoke is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome