Porsche Macan Forum banner

Has Porsche Pre-Paid Maintenance saved you money?

• Yes

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 39.2%

What will dealer try to sell me on delivery day?

123K views 354 replies 175 participants last post by  Carguy#612 
#1 Ā·
Not looking for long discussions about whether or not these are worthwhile to buy or not. There s/b other threads on these add on items. Just want a list.

I know about:
Wheel & Tire Insurance
PPF/clear bra
Window tint
Maintenance plan
All weather floor mats

What else might they spring on me during the paper signing ceremony?

Reactions: BrianF
#39 Ā·
I told the SA and Finance manager that if they try to sell me anything beyond the car it will negatively impact my responses to Porsche North Americas customer satisfaction survey. It seemed to work in July when I picked up my 2016 Boxster GTS. We had a pleasant discussion while the car and paperwork were being finalized with nary a mention of any of these things.

It works for sure at more traditional dealerships (Ford/Chevy/Subaru, etc) where their annual rebates and future allocations are tied to their customer satisfaction scores. Not sure that Porsche's North America's dealerships are managed similarly but it seems likely.

#40 Ā·
I know you already have this on your list, but it's worth a mention:

They sat me down in front of the F&I guy, who of course tried to sell me an extended warranty - get this - that would extend the standard warranty to 5 years/50k miles for only $3500. I told him I usually wait until the standard warranty is almost up before even considering an extended warranty, but why would I spend $3500 to just get the extra year with the same mileage. He told me they just changed the warranty to 36k miles on all Porsches, and that it'll cost more if I wait. Hmmm.

#42 Ā·
Stopped by my dealer today to give them copies of my DL, insurance card, and registration (transfer from current vehicle) to smooth the "closing" process. SA handed me their list of add-ons to review.
In addition to all the items above, there are two things not listed:
Scheduled maintenance plan (not sure if this belongs on the list or not, but they're pushing it).
Safekey: Vehicle lock-out assistance, vehicle key replacement

#45 Ā·
Hi Guys,

I just took delivery of a Macan GTS, pics to come soon after PPF and Cquartz from the detailer, so far it's a beast! I've been back and forth on pre-paid maintenance, after calling a few dealers it seems like it may be better to eat the upfront cost. I have detailed the costs below based on the dealers i called up here in the PA/Jersey area and Florida where I will be going in a year.

10k = $250-400 oil change and inspection
20k = $600-800 oil change and brake fluid flush
30k = $1200-1800 oil change, filters (which i can do by myself), and spark plugs
40k = $1500-2000 oil change, PDK transmission, etc

Maintenance plans for 2017 Macans:

20k 2 yr = $1175
30k 3 yr = $1875
40k 4 yr = $3350
50k 5 yr = $3550

I tried to negotiate a discount on the maintenance plans but each dealer tells me that's driven by porsche cost and won't discount. Anyone know any place with a discount for the pre-paid plans?

Thanks!

#46 Ā·
Thanks for the list. That is exactly what I am looking for now (order just placed).

Before I placed the order with one dealer who has no such Phantom Print fee and document fee, the other dealer I talked to did have those two.

#47 Ā·
I emailed my SA to ask about options, and he offered the local complete list, as:

Wheel and Tire Coverage
Paintless Dent Removal Coverage
Key Replacement Coverage
Windshield Protection
Extended Warranty

I think Key Replacement is the only I didn't see on this list.

I don't have pricing yet, as he said that varies by term and/or expected mileage.

#49 Ā·
Be aware that most insurance policies cover the full cost of windshield replacements...check yours. If you buy wheel and tire, you must put on the same porsche supplied tires and it's not clear that if one tire needs replacement...do they replace the other tire on that axle because for antilock and various other things to work, both tires must be at the same level of wear. Paintless dent removal....check your local body shop to see how much it costs before you go for this....also check to see how big the dent has to be to be repaired under the policy.

Net....walk out without any of those extra cost dealer profit packs.

#48 Ā·
Gap insurance
Tire and wheel protection
Prepaid service contract

#52 Ā·
Deceptive practices to sell Porsche financing

I will be taking delivery tomorrow and can't wait. However, I have to rant about what I perceive to be an unfair practice by the dealer. About the time the Macan was due to arrive in port, I called my dealer to ask for the VIN, so that I could arrange financing through my out-of-town FCU. He provided it, but after asking for the interest rate, said that Porsche could match and would I like to go with them. I said sure, assuming the rest of the terms were acceptable. He said he would get back to me with the terms, and that we had a couple of weeks until the car got to the dealership anyway. After five days of silence, I contacted him again for the terms, and he said surprise, the car is here. And that Porsche could not match the rate, but was 'only' 0.5% higher, and that it was only a few bucks a month, and that working with the dealership was a lot easier than working through a credit union, etc. And that the car was there, ready for me to drive home that day. After five months of waiting, it took all my restraint to say no, I will get the best financing deal. But boy was I mad that they pulled a fast one. I could have had the financing done and the check ready, but the offer of Porsche matching the rate made me delay. Anyway, sorry for the rant, but if future buyers are told that Porsche will get you a great rate, have them get the exact terms in writing immediately, or just continue with your own arrangements. This is my first Porsche, and in fact the first time I've ever financed a car, so maybe I'm naive, but this is a poor introduction to the brand.

#54 Ā· (Edited)
Chalk it up to experience. We were first time Porsche buyers last week. As a counter note, we arranged partial financing with our credit union. Dealer had no issue, did not even offer their own financing. We emailed them a copy of the loan check and cashiers check for the balance a couple days before delivery. No problems at delivery at all.

You could always play hard ball and ask them to throw in some freebies or threaten to ding them on the survey. Or let it go. Your call.

Don't let one bad dealer ruin the fun, enjoy the Macan! Now you know better for the next time.

Edited to add what we were offered, we declined all:
- Thermal sunroof protection
- Paint Protection
- Remote Engine Start
- Tire/Wheel protection - they were really pushing this one

I will be taking delivery tomorrow and can't wait. However, I have to rant about what I perceive to be an unfair practice by the dealer. About the time the Macan was due to arrive in port, I called my dealer to ask for the VIN, so that I could arrange financing through my out-of-town FCU. He provided it, but after asking for the interest rate, said that Porsche could match and would I like to go with them. I said sure, assuming the rest of the terms were acceptable. He said he would get back to me with the terms, and that we had a couple of weeks until the car got to the dealership anyway. After five days of silence, I contacted him again for the terms, and he said surprise, the car is here. And that Porsche could not match the rate, but was 'only' 0.5% higher, and that it was only a few bucks a month, and that working with the dealership was a lot easier than working through a credit union, etc. And that the car was there, ready for me to drive home that day. After five months of waiting, it took all my restraint to say no, I will get the best financing deal. But boy was I mad that they pulled a fast one. I could have had the financing done and the check ready, but the offer of Porsche matching the rate made me delay. Anyway, sorry for the rant, but if future buyers are told that Porsche will get you a great rate, have them get the exact terms in writing immediately, or just continue with your own arrangements. This is my first Porsche, and in fact the first time I've ever financed a car, so maybe I'm naive, but this is a poor introduction to the brand.

#53 Ā·
1.) Scheduled Maintenance
2.) Tire and Wheel Protection
3.) Paintless Ding amd Dent
4.) Paint Protection Film
5.) Radar Detection / Jamming systems
6.) Xzilon Protection Plus
7.) Puddle lights
8.) LoJack
9.) Excess wear and tear

And misc
1.) Tint
2.) iPhone mirror on PCM

#55 Ā·
I will be taking delivery at 5/12. This will be a purchase. What are the justification to purchase 3 or 4 years plan?
3 year 30k $1320
4 year 40k $3055

4th year is PDK service, what else are additional?
How much does dealer charge for PDK service currently?

#56 Ā· (Edited)
I think I paid $3350 for 5/50. At the time this was 30% off a la carte service.

Will your Service Advisor sit down with you and price the current cost year by year? Maybe make a 5 year table before you see him to make it easy for him to just add prices. Then go talk to Sales and price the packages. Thereā€™s your answer, and maybe reason to negotiate further. Divide and conquer?

One more thought. I suspect service costs vary with local labor rates. Not sure about the package pricing though.

#60 Ā·
PDK fluid change alone is $800-1000 in the SF Bay Area.

#62 Ā·
I paid $1900 for the 4 year service, which included the pdk service, brake fluid flush, etc. I called several service depts within 50 miles and the price was fairly consistent. If you plan to have the dealer perform all the service the next 4 years, itā€™s probably not a bad deal to prepay. In hindsight, I should have.

As someone mentioned above, have the service dept provide the cost of the 4 years separately. Prices usually donā€™t go down... ymmv.

#64 Ā·
If you bought a Porsche pre-paid maintenance package, for any Porsche model, has the package paid off for you? In other words, did you keep the car long enough to get the full value of the pre-paid maintenance and, therefore, saved money on ala carte maintenance?

In other words, if you pre-paid maintenance and got rid of the car before using all the pre-paids, then it would seem you lost money. Please do not respond if you have not bought pre-paid maintenance.

yes or no?

#74 Ā·
Please do not respond if you have not bought pre-paid maintenance.
Since everyone else is ignoring Grim's request, I would like to point out one very pertinent fact to any discussion about prepaid maintenance, that being you can often save a substantial amount of money by having your Macan serviced at a qualified independent garage versus a dealer.

Funny how the dealers don't mention this third alternative when trying to push these plans on you. They want to lock you in before you learn the truth, because even with the discounts they are making huge profits on maintenance.

Even worse is the dealers that try to infer to unsuspecting buyers they might lose warranty coverage if they have the oil changed somewhere other than the dealer, or independent garages don't have the tools and knowledge to correctly change the oil, when the reality is there is nothing unusual about changing the oil in a Macan versus most other cars.

#65 Ā·
Just did my last pre-paid maintenence at 40,000 miles. All scheduled maintenence up to and including this has been free, paid by Porsche. My free scheduled maintenence was a pleasant surprise. I purchased my Macan from dealer #1 as a CPO Macan at 11,000 miles. When I brought it to dealer #2 for my first scheduled maintenance I was told by dealer #2 that I owed nothing because the 40,000 mile maintenence plan of the original owner had transfered to me. I don't believe that dealer number #1 knew about the purchased plan for my Macan as it was never mentioned as we negotiated price.

#84 Ā·
Almost the identical situation for me, as 2nd owner of a 2015 Turbo bought CPO. First owner purchased a Porsche 5/50 pre-paid maintenance plan. Upon trade, the plan stays with the car. The dealership did NOT factor this into the price. Like @mstraka, the dealer wasn't aware until AFTER I had negotiated a price and started signing papers. They couldn't upsell me if they wanted to, in any event.
As it turned out, the first owner prematurely used up the first 10k oil change, at ~5k mile. I just had the 4th year service done and it included oil and PDK fluid change, and spark plug change, at 23k miles. That would have been a ~$1800 bill. I know this because I saw the invoice sheet that goes back to PCNA. The invoice they handed to me had all "N/C".
Plus, I get another year/10k service left on the plan. I'll probably have less than 35k miles at the 5th year, so there is/was real money savings in my case.

...There seems to be a lot of people who turn the Macan over quickly. Once the lease or warranty period is over, they either go to another marque or trade the car in...
I am a buy and hold type person, whether its cars, house, or other investments. But the stories of the rare transmission problem really have me thinking of the best strategy to plan ahead, other than simply trading it when it comes off warranty. Forum threads abound on options. I believe the mantra is, "get it before you go over 35k miles".

What was the consensus? Go with Fidelity ??

I paid under $3,000 for a 5/50 Porsche pre paid Maintenance plan. I had the 40k service a few months ago, and will have the final fifth 50k service done later this year. My servicing Porsche dealership stated that I saved substantial money with the plan
Since I was nosey, and looked at both my invoice and the invoice that went back to PCNA (both of which they asked me to sign), you should feel confident that you saved money, compared to what the dealership would have otherwise made you pay out of pocket. Maybe 15% or 20%. Just a guess.

Reactions: Jshore
#66 Ā·
Also check with the dealer with your VIN # to see your carā€™s history and other plans.

I bought my BMW used from a MB dealer and none knew it had the prepaid 6 years service plan. Many years later when I was at a BMW dealer for the airbag recall and they told me this. Obviously I missed a few free oil changes, etc.

#68 Ā·
I paid $4,110 for a four year addition good for 50,000 miles. As my car is a 2018 the first year was already paid for. This covers the expensive servicing that comes later on in the ownership. One reason I chose this route is my advancing age which sort of precludes me from rolling around under a car as much as I used to.

#71 Ā·
I own a 2015 BMW that came with four years of free scheduled maintenance. At 40,000 miles it has never required anything except oil changes. So, the actual value of the maintenance plan was pretty close to zero, and that's exactly how much I would have been willing to pay for it. Same for the Macan I'm getting in April.

#75 Ā·
I own a 2015 BMW that came with four years of free scheduled maintenance. At 40,000 miles it has never required anything except oil changes. So, the actual value of the maintenance plan was pretty close to zero
Not quite. You paid for that maintenance plan. No car maker gives away anything for free. The cost was built into the price of the car. Porsche does bespoke builds. You buy what you want, not what the carmaker says you will get. If the maintenance wasn't included for the BMW, the price would have been cheaper.

My question might not show the correct answers. There seems to be a lot of people who turn the Macan over quickly. Once the lease or warranty period is over, they either go to another marque or trade the car in. If they go to another marque, they are not likely to be on this forum so the "no" answers will not be inclusive.

And that's the real point of this poll. Since the cars include year 1, meaning you get years 2 - 5 now, I'm not sure how many Macan new car buyers actually keep the car into year 6, which would be hard to tell anyway since the oldest car in the US would be not entering year 6 until June of this year.