Poll: Has Porsche prepaid maintenance paid off? - Page 3 - Porsche Macan Forum
View Poll Results: Has Porsche Pre-Paid Maintenance saved you money?
Yes 13 65.00%
No 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka View Post
Just did my last pre-paid maintenence at 40,000 miles. All scheduled maintenence up to and including this has been free, paid by Porsche. My free scheduled maintenence was a pleasant surprise. I purchased my Macan from dealer #1 as a CPO Macan at 11,000 miles. When I brought it to dealer #2 for my first scheduled maintenance I was told by dealer #2 that I owed nothing because the 40,000 mile maintenence plan of the original owner had transfered to me. I don't believe that dealer number #1 knew about the purchased plan for my Macan as it was never mentioned as we negotiated price.
Almost the identical situation for me, as 2nd owner of a 2015 Turbo bought CPO. First owner purchased a Porsche 5/50 pre-paid maintenance plan. Upon trade, the plan stays with the car. The dealership did NOT factor this into the price. Like @mstraka , the dealer wasn't aware until AFTER I had negotiated a price and started signing papers. They couldn't upsell me if they wanted to, in any event.
As it turned out, the first owner prematurely used up the first 10k oil change, at ~5k mile. I just had the 4th year service done and it included oil and PDK fluid change, and spark plug change, at 23k miles. That would have been a ~$1800 bill. I know this because I saw the invoice sheet that goes back to PCNA. The invoice they handed to me had all "N/C".
Plus, I get another year/10k service left on the plan. I'll probably have less than 35k miles at the 5th year, so there is/was real money savings in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
...There seems to be a lot of people who turn the Macan over quickly. Once the lease or warranty period is over, they either go to another marque or trade the car in...
I am a buy and hold type person, whether its cars, house, or other investments. But the stories of the rare transmission problem really have me thinking of the best strategy to plan ahead, other than simply trading it when it comes off warranty. Forum threads abound on options. I believe the mantra is, "get it before you go over 35k miles".

What was the consensus? Go with Fidelity ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshore View Post
I paid under $3,000 for a 5/50 Porsche pre paid Maintenance plan. I had the 40k service a few months ago, and will have the final fifth 50k service done later this year. My servicing Porsche dealership stated that I saved substantial money with the plan
Since I was nosey, and looked at both my invoice and the invoice that went back to PCNA (both of which they asked me to sign), you should feel confident that you saved money, compared to what the dealership would have otherwise made you pay out of pocket. Maybe 15% or 20%. Just a guess.
Jshore likes this.

'15 Turbo "Porsche Exclusive". Sapphire Blue Metallic, Espresso leather interior. Option Listing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pics for posterity/future reference:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1277 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3383 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
I am a buy and hold type person, whether its cars, house, or other investments. But the stories of the rare transmission problem really have me thinking of the best strategy to plan ahead, other than simply trading it when it comes off warranty. Forum threads abound on options. I believe the mantra is, "get it before you go over 35k miles".

What was the consensus? Go with Fidelity ??

I think most analysis is this:

Say the plan cost $6,000. Pocket the $6K, let it earn interest, and "maybe" you will never to use it and be $6,600 richer. ... OR

Give the dealer $6,000 and its gone forever.

Insurance companies do NOT lose money. So that's the risk.
Jshore, Shark and Digs like this.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)

My view is that while a $5-$10k repair bill would financially inconvenient, if you are well off enough to own a Macan it's not likely a financial disaster.

Sure it's possible you will come out ahead with a policy, but it's not likely because if it were the insurer would need to charge higher premiums to insure a profit after all its internal administrative costs (even on policies where there is never a claim) and the dealer's commission.

I would rather take some of the money used for the premium and put it toward increasing my uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage and/or personal umbrella liability policy where there is much more need for protection due to the chances of a true financial disaster.

Not only that, how difficult is it going to be to collect on one of the non factory backed policies? We have all seen the stories how they try to use every tiny loophole to avoid coverage. How long will the repair be delayed while you await approval? And is the insurer going to try to force the repair shop to cut corners on the repair?

Sure, I would assume if you have a situation as black and white as a PDK failure and you can prove the car was maintained correctly you will collect. But given all the considerations is the policy worth it?

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
I think most analysis is this:

Say the plan cost $6,000. Pocket the $6K, let it earn interest, and "maybe" you will never to use it and be $6,600 richer. ... OR

Give the dealer $6,000 and its gone forever.

Insurance companies do NOT lose money. So that's the risk.
The problem is the $17k tranny rip and replace. Or was that $50k?

'15 Turbo "Porsche Exclusive". Sapphire Blue Metallic, Espresso leather interior. Option Listing:

Pics for posterity/future reference:
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmacan View Post
I bought a CPO where the previous owner purchased a pre-paid maintenance plan that stayed with the car. So it has been worth every penny that I paid for it, which is $0. The dealer I bought the car from did not tell me that it had a plan. I discovered it when I took to the shop for its first service (different dealer).

my VIN: WP1AB2A53GLB47196 is this

is there a way to check to see if it has the Prepaid plan?
or can only a dealer tell you ??

I read here that 2-3 people were surprised they had this benefit
worth checking -- IMO
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)

Quote:
The problem is the $17k tranny rip and replace.
if I were in an out of warranty PDK failure situation several years from now, and PCNA refused assistance, I suspect it would not be that difficult to find a transmission shop with Audi dual clutch experience that would be very qualified to do the rebuild for far less than $17,000.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1277 Post(s)
Quoted: 3383 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
My view is that while a $5-$10k repair bill would financially inconvenient, if you are well off enough to own a Macan it's not likely a financial disaster.
Two problems with that.

First, while many people pay cash at the $100K+ level, that's not true when you are paying $60K - $70K or so. I will guess that many people get some kind of loan at that level. So that $6K will be added to the loan along with everything else people buy "aftermarket" other than OEM equipment. So now its baked into the loan and for some people, they are not really having the $6K sitting in the bank. So the play the money game doesn't work out if you haven't got the cash up front to play the game.

Second, while this forum might have a flood, a largely disproportionate number of S - Turbo cars, that's not true in the real world. In the real world the base cars is more like 1/2 of all cars sold. There was the time last summer when they were only making base cars. Base cars are good to get emissions down and the profits on options, proportionally, is better than the higher trim levels. So, if you are reaching up from a standard $35K Ford Escape Titanium super duper trim level around $38K? to get into a low $55K base Macan, then a $10K repair bill could be a disaster. They probably shouldn't have bought up.

This is a potential problem. Wait until that major service comes up and if they don't know the cost, well its not going to be the same price as for that Ford Escape.

Quote:
The problem is the $17k tranny rip and replace. Or was that $50k?
PDK is supposed to be a lifetime unit. Its not like a regular clutch thats a wear item that you know one day will be replaced. That doesn't mean there aren't failures. There are a few here. If you look at all the forums, you will see PDK failures and usually they just put in a new one under warranty. PDK has been around for a decade now and you might want to find out how many people have paid the full $17/$18K to have one replaced out of warranty. My guess is VERY few, handfuls full. People might have paid some part of the bill but try to find someone who paid the full amount. Out of the probably 100,000s of thousands of PDK units sold, how many people have paid the full $18K to have it replaced?

IMO the problem is that if there were many PDK failures with people footing $18K bills, then you'd have an IMS class action law suit type event. Why would Porsche want to go through that again? PDK is the future. MT is about gone.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
I'm 72. I don't roll around anything anymore.
I am approaching 80 in May. Prepaid maintenance appeared desirable. I am not giving away my tools, however.
gfspencer and Chris in Philly like this.

2018 Macan S

post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)

What are you keeping your tools for?

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwahl View Post
I am approaching 80 in May. Prepaid maintenance appeared desirable. I am not giving away my tools, however.
I've got all of my tools and I'm keeping them. Sometimes I work on my Triumph motorcycle.

In the old days I could adjust the carbs on my Triumph Spitfire or change the plugs on my 911. I wouldn't dream of touching a new Porsche.

2018 Porsche Macan Sport Edition Black
2017 Triumph Bobber Black