Poll: Has Porsche prepaid maintenance paid off? - Page 2 - Porsche Macan Forum
View Poll Results: Has Porsche Pre-Paid Maintenance saved you money?
Yes 13 65.00%
No 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

 18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
Please do not respond if you have not bought pre-paid maintenance.
Since everyone else is ignoring Grim's request, I would like to point out one very pertinent fact to any discussion about prepaid maintenance, that being you can often save a substantial amount of money by having your Macan serviced at a qualified independent garage versus a dealer.

Funny how the dealers don't mention this third alternative when trying to push these plans on you. They want to lock you in before you learn the truth, because even with the discounts they are making huge profits on maintenance.

Even worse is the dealers that try to infer to unsuspecting buyers they might lose warranty coverage if they have the oil changed somewhere other than the dealer, or independent garages don't have the tools and knowledge to correctly change the oil, when the reality is there is nothing unusual about changing the oil in a Macan versus most other cars.
Chris in Philly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,373
Mentioned: 1277 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3382 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMPNW View Post
I own a 2015 BMW that came with four years of free scheduled maintenance. At 40,000 miles it has never required anything except oil changes. So, the actual value of the maintenance plan was pretty close to zero
Not quite. You paid for that maintenance plan. No car maker gives away anything for free. The cost was built into the price of the car. Porsche does bespoke builds. You buy what you want, not what the carmaker says you will get. If the maintenance wasn't included for the BMW, the price would have been cheaper.

My question might not show the correct answers. There seems to be a lot of people who turn the Macan over quickly. Once the lease or warranty period is over, they either go to another marque or trade the car in. If they go to another marque, they are not likely to be on this forum so the "no" answers will not be inclusive.

And that's the real point of this poll. Since the cars include year 1, meaning you get years 2 - 5 now, I'm not sure how many Macan new car buyers actually keep the car into year 6, which would be hard to tell anyway since the oldest car in the US would be not entering year 6 until June of this year.
grim is offline  
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,373
Mentioned: 1277 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3382 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Philly View Post
Since everyone else is ignoring Grim's request, I would like to point out one very pertinent fact to any discussion about prepaid maintenance, that being you can often save a substantial amount of money by having your Macan serviced at a qualified independent garage versus a dealer.

Funny how the dealers don't mention this third alternative when trying to push these plans on you. They want to lock you in before you learn the truth, because even with the discounts they are making huge profits on maintenance.

Even worse is the dealers that try to infer to unsuspecting buyers they might lose warranty coverage if they have the oil changed somewhere other than the dealer, or independent garages don't have the tools and knowledge to correctly change the oil, when the reality is there is nothing unusual about changing the oil in a Macan versus most other cars.
All true except part of the last paragraph. You can certainly go to a local indy and your local PCA will know the best around. I think the members here are enthusiasts and have been around the block so they know the warranty is good. After all, you can do the maintenance yourself. Suncoast sells convenient maintenance kits for all the models. The potential problem with the indy is the word "qualities". They need to be able to know about and perform the campaigns and have PIWIS. If not, then you will probably not get the latest campaigns or software updates done automatically. "Qualified" matters.

Also with a dealer, you might get a PCA discount.

There is also a second issue, which if you turn the cars around like toasters, it won't matter. But if you actually keep them and keep buying from the same dealer, this this matters - Thats' the relationship with the dealer. Listen to @yrralis1 talk. They know him. If the time comes he needs a break, some goodwill out of warranty, my guess his dealer will go to bat for him with PCNA. But the guys who go to indy looking for the cheapest price? I wouldn't hold my breath. They know how much you spend with them. They know how good or bad a customer you are but I'm not saying get soaked either. It all depends upon what matters to you.

I always thought pre-paid plans were a very bad idea. Who know tomorrow? That money is good ... pfft out the window including prepaid plans baked into MSRP like probably BMW. You trade or just sell the car, that money is gone forever.

The concept of extended warranties is similar. Money .... pfft ... I think most analysis shows its better to pocket that money and if you don't need it, then you saved $$$$. But if you need it, then the money is in the bank. Which is better? The possibility of not needing it or the 100% guarantee the money is gone?
grim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,997
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
All true except part of the last paragraph. You can certainly go to a local indy and your local PCA will know the best around. I think the members here are enthusiasts and have been around the block so they know the warranty is good. After all, you can do the maintenance yourself. Suncoast sells convenient maintenance kits for all the models. The potential problem with the indy is the word "qualities". They need to be able to know about and perform the campaigns and have PIWIS. If not, then you will probably not get the latest campaigns or software updates done automatically. "Qualified" matters.
That brings up an interesting question.

I do my own maintenance, but I also figure I will see the dealer perhaps once a year on average for warranty work and/or recalls. I know I will hear about any recalls directly from PCNA and I'll arrange to have the dealer perform these, but what about the non recall campaigns such as the software updates you mentioned?

I assume when Porsche pushes these out they tell the dealers to implement these whenever they see a vehicle in their shop for service, just as other vehicle manufacturers do. But do Porsche dealers generally do this? I assume PCNA reimburses the dealers to do so.

I do see on the service receipt for the last time I was at the dealer for a warranty repair, in addition to the specific repair, the dealer did something called "PQIS911", and on the line below it mentions "PWIS PWIS JOB, 39 ISPP", (N/C), which I assume means "no charge". Not sure what that might be, but I'm guessing at the very least the dealer checked for outstanding campaigns.

When I picked the car up after the work was complete, the service representative handed me the receipt and mentioned nothing about it.

Is there anywhere I can find out what non recall campaigns have been issued without spending a huge amount of money to do so?

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
Shark is offline  
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Default

Didn't buy prepaid anything. Never been back yo the dealer except for this fuel flange warranty. I'm 2 oil changes in and changing cabin air filter in a bit

2017 Macan S
European Delivery 3/21-3/29
Picked up in NY on 5/31/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Cobb V205 93 Oct

White & Agate Grey : PDLS : Entry & Drive : Panoramic Roof : Auto-Dimming Mirrors : 14-way Power w/ Memory : Seat Heating F/R : Seat Ventilation : Bose : Trailer Hitch : 19" Turbo Wheels : Colored Porsche Crest : LCA : Heated Steering Wheel : Smoking Package : Leipzig
Uniden R3 : Anker Roav : Opti Coat
Louisssss is offline  
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,373
Mentioned: 1277 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3382 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
"PWIS PWIS JOB, 39 ISPP", (N/C), which I assume means "no charge". Not sure what that might be, but I'm guessing at the very least the dealer checked for outstanding campaigns.

When I picked the car up after the work was complete, the service representative handed me the receipt and mentioned nothing about it.

Is there anywhere I can find out what non recall campaigns have been issued without spending a huge amount of money to do so?
I started to document the Macan campaigns in the sticky https://www.macanforum.com/forum/por...campaigns.html

I don't know what ISPP is. N/C should be no charge to you. I looked at some of my 911 service receipts and they just did the campaigns. I would not know them. They know them. Recalls are different. Just go to NHTSA and type in your vin. https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls I think the just do them automatically. That's been my experience, especially if you complained about something. Things like software updates for the PCM are all cars like WF27. Its the same PCM whether a 911 or Macan. But others should be model specific.
grim is offline  
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,233
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Default

I paid under $3,000 for a 5/50 Porsche pre paid Maintenance plan. I had the 40k service a few months ago, and will have the final fifth 50k service done later this year. My servicing Porsche dealership stated that I saved substantial money with the plan
grim, jzwu and mplgaus like this.

2015 Macan S in rhodium silver, black 14 ways,PASM, LCA, LKA,ACC,3 zone, smokers pkg (non smoker),comfort lights, trailer hitch, entertainment, premium pkg., 19" AS Michelins, 19" Turbo wheels.
Jshore is offline  
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Default

I bought a CPO where the previous owner purchased a pre-paid maintenance plan that stayed with the car. So it has been worth every penny that I paid for it, which is $0. The dealer I bought the car from did not tell me that it had a plan. I discovered it when I took to the shop for its first service (different dealer).
ncmacan is offline  
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 5,303
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
That brings up an interesting question.

I do my own maintenance, but I also figure I will see the dealer perhaps once a year on average for warranty work and/or recalls. I know I will hear about any recalls directly from PCNA and I'll arrange to have the dealer perform these, but what about the non recall campaigns such as the software updates you mentioned?

I assume when Porsche pushes these out they tell the dealers to implement these whenever they see a vehicle in their shop for service, just as other vehicle manufacturers do. But do Porsche dealers generally do this? I assume PCNA reimburses the dealers to do so.

I do see on the service receipt for the last time I was at the dealer for a warranty repair, in addition to the specific repair, the dealer did something called "PQIS911", and on the line below it mentions "PWIS PWIS JOB, 39 ISPP", (N/C), which I assume means "no charge". Not sure what that might be, but I'm guessing at the very least the dealer checked for outstanding campaigns.

When I picked the car up after the work was complete, the service representative handed me the receipt and mentioned nothing about it.

Is there anywhere I can find out what non recall campaigns have been issued without spending a huge amount of money to do so?

True that dealer always check ps the VIN for any software updates and recalls when you bring your car in for whatever reason. At least thatís my case at a few different dealers. I saw they did this the first thing in front of me. So itís probably a standard procedure.

I think you can call dealer directly to check your VIN for this.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
jzwu is offline  
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 5,303
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshore View Post
I paid under $3,000 for a 5/50 Porsche pre paid Maintenance plan. I had the 40k service a few months ago, and will have the final fifth 50k service done later this year. My servicing Porsche dealership stated that I saved substantial money with the plan
Guess it all depends on what price you negotiated for the prepaid plan. I think that’s a great price for the 5/50 plan.

Good job!
Jshore likes this.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
jzwu is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion on the Macan Suspensions macan1 Wheels, Tires and Suspension 940 03-27-2019 01:47 PM
2014 Porsche Macan S Diesel : 1000km Melbourne to Sydney Road trip Review gobobbie Porsche Macan Reviews 11 01-13-2015 03:06 AM
Porsche to limit Macan sales -=Hot|Ice=- Macan General Discussion Forum 6 05-30-2014 12:31 PM
2014 Porsche Macan review: Equipment and extras Cajun Porsche Macan Reviews 19 02-05-2014 04:37 AM
Porsche Legends Discussion on Brumos Porsche TV mr.smith Macan General Discussion Forum 1 07-19-2013 01:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome