LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Default 2019 Hotspot Set up

Hello All,

I recently took delivery of my 2019 Macan. I've been struggling the past couple days to get the hotspot working. Initially I assumed that I needed a sim since there is a slot in the center console for it. My dealer did not provide a sim, so I went to ATT to get one and have an account set up. They had a hard time getting an account set up, and didn't seem clear on what to do. Eventually they called one of their internal folks and decided that I just needed to go to att.com/porsche to register for a data plan that would use the embedded sim. I went to the site, registered and activated my plan via the email, but the in car hotspot says "no internet available" every time I try it. While going through all this I spoke with someone at the ATL dealership who said it indeed uses the embedded sim, and he wasn't sure why there was a sim slot in the console, while proposing maybe it was a European thing.

Have any 2019 Macan owners had any success with the Hotspot....? Or does anyone else have familiarity with this? I'm not sure if it would be the same as the 2018 as the PCM is different.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

You have to turn it on at two different places in the PCM settings. If you click the data icon in the upper right corner of the PCM it will open device manager. From there, click the drop down options menu in the top middle if the screen. There are WiFi settings and others that need to be turned on. There may also be “phone” setting that need to be turned on for the embedded sim to be activated - I’m not sure.

'18 Midnight Blue/Black Macan GTS (former)
'19 Volcano Grey/Garnet Red Macan S w/AS, SC, PTV+ (current)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I had the same issue and was told to 'remove' the SIM card as my 2018 GTS had everything built-in. Works as advertised after removal of the card and manually entering the number from ATT and then doing the setup..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage

PEC LA had difficulty with this whole process too. They claimed not many people even want this so they rarely set it up. I wanted it so I could use Apple CarPlay over WiFi. I had the same issue the OP had, the embedded SIM kept showing no internet available. So instead, the delivery rep installed a new AT&T SIM and activated it from their website. It only has 3GB/90day trial so I had to add it to my existing AT&T account for uninterrupted service. Everything works fine now.

Does anyone know if the embedded SIM provides unlimited free internet or is it the same 3GB/90day trial? I thought I read somewhere that Porsche provided free internet so it could access the proximity traffic service. Not sure, but sadly the PEC LA reps didn’t know what I was talking about.

Casper

2019 Porsche Macan S (PEC LA delivery - June)
2016 Audi SQ5 (Lease return - July)
2019 Audi S5 Cab (Dealer delivery - May)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage

I've checked the various seemingly relevant options to no avail. The PCM clearly has internet access... it's showing traffic data and actually downloaded a sizeable update for google maps today. I've set the pw for my hotspot... which connects...as does the connect and connect+ app on my phone. Still, "no internet connection" when connected to the hotspot.

ATT and Porsche claim that a sim is not needed, but I'm thinking that's not reality per Casper's experience... or there is a disconnect in the provisioning process when setting up the account on ATT's website.

I'm surprised that Porsche does not have a quick setup guide or F.A.Q. showing how to get the hotspot set up. I'll be reaching out to Porsche and my SA tomorrow in hopes of getting this resolved.
Casper Harrington likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:50 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy1 View Post
I've checked the various seemingly relevant options to no avail. The PCM clearly has internet access... it's showing traffic data and actually downloaded a sizeable update for google maps today. I've set the pw for my hotspot... which connects...as does the connect and connect+ app on my phone. Still, "no internet connection" when connected to the hotspot.

ATT and Porsche claim that a sim is not needed, but I'm thinking that's not reality per Casper's experience... or there is a disconnect in the provisioning process when setting up the account on ATT's website.

I'm surprised that Porsche does not have a quick setup guide or F.A.Q. showing how to get the hotspot set up. I'll be reaching out to Porsche and my SA tomorrow in hopes of getting this resolved.
Let us know what you find out, Iím very curious why no one else has been complaining about this issue. Your post is the first Iíve read about, and loads of folks have collected their 2019 Macans so far.

Separately, my Apple CarPlay still doesnít connect over WiFi even after getting the hotspot working correctly. So Iím very curious to see what others have experienced.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:13 AM

Did you see this setting “Share data connection : Enable data connection for WiFi devices”. I forget which option menu it is in, but it defaults to off (and sometimes turns itself off for seemingly no reason).

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper Harrington View Post
PEC

Does anyone know if the embedded SIM provides unlimited free internet or is it the same 3GB/90day trial? I thought I read somewhere that Porsche provided free internet so it could access the proximity traffic service. Not sure, but sadly the PEC LA reps didn’t know what I was talking about.
Same trial with whatever SIM you use, embedded or otherwise.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper Harrington View Post
Let us know what you find out, Iím very curious why no one else has been complaining about this issue. Your post is the first Iíve read about, and loads of folks have collected their 2019 Macans so far.

Separately, my Apple CarPlay still doesnít connect over WiFi even after getting the hotspot working correctly. So Iím very curious to see what others have experienced.
Do you have Settings-Personal Hotspot activated in your phone?
It could be blocked by your cellular provider.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 10:21 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooit View Post
Do you have Settings-Personal Hotspot activated in your phone?
It could be blocked by your cellular provider.
Yeah, I tried using my phones hotspot after taking out my SIM. Still doesnít activate Apple CarPlay. Hopefully Porsche comes out with a software update so it works more like the new Audi MMI that easily connects to CarPlay via the cars WiFi.